Sign in to follow this  
centenaryman

Some help for Autogen

Guest bigun

Hi Gary,I agree it would be nice if FSX were to take more advantage of dual core (I'm running an AMD FX60) but I just simply don't know what is possible or realistic on this. I'll leave that up to the folks that are way more knowledgable than me. Maybe I'm wierd, but I really do enjoy the challenge that a new FS version brings. For example, I remember on FS9 that the clouds brought most systems to their knees. Well, I just got through copying/pasting some clouds sets from Flight Environment to FSX and it really looks good. My cloud settings are maxed and maintaining steady 20 FPS (locked) through thunderstorms. This makes me happy:7 Doing this, along with Matt's autogen mods, I'm maintaining a steady 20 FPS lock and visuals that to me beat FS9 with every add-on known to man installed. And remember also, technically FSX retail hasn't even been released yet! I was lucky enough to find a copy at BB but it's not in the hands of the majority of the really talented folks yet.When the magicians from developers likc Flight1, Active Sky etc. release their mods for FSX it should be goooood!

The fix works very well. I replaced the 3 files and got an increase from 5fps-autogen to sparce to 11-12fps-autogen to normal. No noticeable drop in image quality.Thanks forkboy2Korber

>So, no disrespect intended to the gang at ACES, but I direct>this to the people in the bugdet department at the Microsoft>head quarters: if you are really going to make Microsoft>Flight Simulator the state of the art demonstration of what>can be done with your products in the future, its time to>further fund ACES adequate to the impending very challenging>task of recoding the FS rendering engine for multi-core, so>that Microsoft can truly be able to both "talk the Talk, and>walk the Walk!This entire thread has been a breath of fresh air. I honestly believe that AVSIM should not only have a separate forum for FSX (moreso now that FS9 will continue for the next year+ to be very active), but further that an FSX forum should have two sub-forums:FSXHelpful Hints (description: I want to help improve/fix things!)FSXDoom & Gloom (description: I just want to b*tch and moan!)NOTE: I'm not entirely "tongue-in-cheek" with the suggestion, either...With regards to your suggestion though, I need take a bit of exception. It matters little how much money is thrown at a problem that has no logical solution. The developers have made it abundantly clear that the primary issue facing any game that relies on a single, gigantic "render loop," the sole function of which is to continuously draw a screen image, is not amenable to multi-threading.Indeed, any attempt to "break the loop" would mean it was no longer a loop! Instead, it would be two linear process with finite beginning and end points! How then to stitch the two (or more) broken bits of "string code" back into a seamless, looped process?Having had the honor and privilege to meet many of the developers in person and engage in technical discussions, I've concluded that they are - without exception - among a small constellation of the brightest and best game developers/programmers. If they say it cannot be done, I have full faith that they've invested the time and effort to find a way to do so, and have ultimately failed to find a solution, thus far at least. So far, all attempts to create seperately running threads running on a second core have actually resulted in worse performance...I also have full faith and confidence that they will continue to investigate and experiment with any and all "new ideas" that haven't been tried yet. :)It might also be helpful to keep in mind that when the initial planning for FSX began, dual-core processors did not exist, much like DX10 hardware did not exist except on "paper."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Pilot533

If I have to dumb down the autogen to run fsx, there is no way im buying it.

Hi Matt.I think you're on to something here! This works with tired old systems, like mine. ( By systems, I mean both mine and the computer's :) )Dick

Guest stefanwa

Wow, thanks! This works with the Demo too BTW. My FPS went from 4-5 to 13-20 with "Autogen Sparse". Great find.Steve

> I do still worry though, when I don't see any indication that Aces has any interest much less commitment to fully get ready for the future by recoding FS...Gary,There are discussions by the developers about using multiple cores on their blogs, and I and many others have spoken directly with the developers about multi-threading FS. They had a lot of work to do to get done what they have. They could not work on multi-threading it until the code base was done. Adam has stated to me that he was working on multi-threading the code, but he just couldn't get it done in time. He said he and others are now working in earnest to finish what he started and hope they can improve it significantly for SP1. I don't want to speak any further for them, but, rest assured, they are aware of the situtation and committed to making FS as good as it can be. They are all extremely passionate about what they do and doing the best that they can.My point is, I think you are being overly harsh and, well, I'll leavit at that.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Can some of you please try the file attached to this post and let me know how it compares to the original one I posted last night. This should give ALOT more variety than the one I posted last night, but is still be much much less than the FSX default.For this one I left in the wide variety of tree heights, which I think would all use same model and texture so shouldn't be a big drain. I also left in the top two or three varieties for each tree definition, instead of just one. Also, the bushes have been removed in situations where there are bushes and trees together. But there should still be bushes when they are alone without trees.Please let me know how frame rates and visual quality compare to FSX default.Thanks.Matt Fox

Guest bigun

Matt your latest autogen works great. I saw very little if any change in performance from the first and have a nice selection of trees. Thanks for the work.

Guest dpc

Yep, that one is great. Also, I'm finding that unlike FS9, I'm getting better performance setting my FPS slider to unlimited. Dave

Da*n straight! Doom and Gloom, Helpful hints....agreed

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

WOW!!!! I went from 22FPS on sparse (original file) to 34 FPS LOL!!! NIIIIIIIIICE This is the most updated tree file only!Nice work! Someone should PIN THIS!!edit: this is on demo 2 only :)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |