Sign in to follow this  
centenaryman

Some help for Autogen

Matt, Don't have the retail version yet but will try this as soon as I can. Thanks, Craig

you might get higher top end numbers but the ideal is a steady fps so start unlimited save that setting then lower it 30 save lover it to 25 save etc. saving your cfg will let you pic and choose which seems best. if you get steady fps at 25 i think you would be in the upper 95% right now. be careful on light bloom and heavy water effects since these multiply the reloads of textures several times to produce effects gregg d

Guest 777LR

>See if this helps anyone.>>First backup AutogenDescriptions.spb located in your>FSXAutogen folder. Then unzip the file attached to this post>in it's place.>>What this does is dumb down your autogen trees so there are a>lot fewer types of trees displayed. This is an extreme>version meant as a proof of concept that basically sets one>tree for each different tree category, whereas FSX default may>have 10 or 20 different trees for each category. If it helps,>I'm sure someone with more free time than me could come up>with several different customized versions, each with a>different level of complexity. It's pretty easy to adjust>with the SDK.>>I don't think this affects the total number of trees>displayed. Just the number of different types and>variations.>>If it doesn't help anyone, then oh well, I guess I just wasted>an hour of my life :)>>Matt Fox>>EDIT....sorry, I just realized I accidentally uploaded the>original file. Modified version is here now. Modified is>301k, original is 333k.Nice fix but I think to be fair you should atleast acknowledge fs2004.com and the original poster (http://www.fs2004.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90965)for this fix and tweak.

No, no, this is different. The FS2004.com poster is talking about 100's of MB's, while this fix is only in hundreds of Kb's :)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

>Nice fix but I think to be fair you should atleast acknowledge>fs2004.com and the original poster>(http://www.fs2004.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90965)for>this fix and tweak.They are completely different tweaks. The fs2004.com tweak adjusts the sizes of the textures. My tweak changes the complexity of the types of trees that are displayed. For example, the FSX default definition for a certain type of forest might include 8 different tree models, each with 5 or 6 different heights and two different bush models, each with several different sizes. This is a huge drain on computer resources. What my tweak does is change it so that forest only has 1, 2 or 3 different types of trees and maybe no bushes at all. It has nothing to do with the textures.Matt

BTW, Matt, here's two shots from demo 2 to show what I'm getting now. This is with sparse only, but remember the realllly dense area around TNCM that had all the trees!?!? I was getting about 8-10 FPS without your fix, now I can avg about 20, from about 15-25 was what I was getting4xAA, 16xAF (hardware), water 1x.high, 75% cars/boats, scenery maxed, autogen sparse....the change is amazing!! Seriously, nice work!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/158121.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/158122.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest 777LR

>>>Nice fix but I think to be fair you should atleast>acknowledge>>fs2004.com and the original poster>>(http://www.fs2004.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90965)for>>this fix and tweak.>>They are completely different tweaks. The fs2004.com tweak>adjusts the sizes of the textures. My tweak changes the>complexity of the types of trees that are displayed. For>example, the FSX default definition for a certain type of>forest might include 8 different tree models, each with 5 or 6>different heights and two different bush models, each with>several different sizes. This is a huge drain on computer>resources. What my tweak does is change it so that forest>only has 1, 2 or 3 different types of trees and maybe no>bushes at all. It has nothing to do with the textures.>>MattOh ok, my bad. Both are nice tweaks, thanks.

Thank you Matt! I am seeing the same increase in performance and now run with auto-gen at normal. My FPS were averaging 10 to 13 and now 20 to 25. The trees add a substantial amount of realism for me when landing at rural strips. I have already "mowed" one down! LOL.I also used the first two recommendations from JeanLuc's post concerning shaderHLSL edits. The night time sky is terrific with twinkling stars and the moon's reflection. A substantial improvement over the default FS9. Bob..

This is awesome Matt, this fix is a must have, what a difference it makes with autogen at dense and at the same time have car traffic and boats, it all looked so beautifull on final to rw09 TNCM that i crashed the lear on the beach :).

Guest dswo

Thanks, Matt. I just tried this with the trial version (demo #2) and it makes a huge difference.

Well i tested this with dense autogen, forget it, i can actually set it to extremely dense and it doesnt change my FPS at all. I know this is just on islands but you all have to try this, afterwards there is no going back.

Hi...yep another vote here from me.....i use demo 2 (were in the UK waiting for fs x) but had autogen turned off to get a decent frame rate...now ive got the slider half way and loving it....when fs2004 was released users released frame rate friendly textures to help...so as fs x gets released i saw the doom and gloom posters but thought that hopefully somebody with brains could do similar for fs x...i have seen the other post as well on fs204.com so kepp up the great work men...and thanks for these to Matt....can anybody pin this postAndrew

Matt, fellas:I'm following this thread with great interest; I won't have the retail version until next week.Question about this fix: do you still get seasonal tree changes with this particular fix you've developed?

Ken