Sign in to follow this  
centenaryman

Some help for Autogen

Guest mtlmtl

I must also thank you since these fix files have given me new hope and happiness. I tried the other fix by converting the .dds files to .bmp, but many textures where then wrong and the trees inverted. By converting the files however I noticed a significant gain in FPS, but the .bmp textures were 2.54GB while the .dds textures were only 552MB. I was only able to find the standard version a few days ago and have noticed something. The goose and maule are included in the standard version, minus the panel folder. Later I'll try to see if I can get em to fly with an add-on panel. Has anyone been able to remove the glare from the windshield? A flight this morning left me with spatial disorientation when I got into a little fog. Couldn't tell what from what, but it felt good. I'm also liking the coastlines, in FS9 I would see jaggies often out at a distance where the water went up the cliff, not so in FSX. Good flyin, Matt

Guest emkramer

Perhaps this can be finalized and uploaded to the library for mass consumption? Good work.Earl

Guys this looks neat.Gonna be awhile before I make any major migrations as its this kind of great info that trickles out after a bit that make the migration much, much, much less painful!Request to a Mod/Tom: Could you sticky this post and others like it possibly in a file so that they can be readily gotten to?Thanks very muchEric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest SVTcobra281

Ok, is anyone else having problems renaming, or deleting files within FSX directory? I can't rename or delete anything or it "bongs" me with an Access Denied message. I am using the admin account and FS is NOT running, what is its problem?

Hi, I have tried the changes that you have sent but I do not see any difference in fps. My original autogenDescriptions was 334kb, the new file that you sent is 302kb dated 10/07, could I possibly have downloaded the wrong file since they dont match your figures of 301 for the new and 333 for thr original or does the small difference not matter.Thanks,Larry

>Matt, fellas:>>I'm following this thread with great interest; I won't have>the retail version until next week.>>Question about this fix: do you still get seasonal tree>changes with this particular fix you've developed?Yes you should still get seasonal changes. The main difference is I removed bushes in areas where there are both bushes and trees and there will be less variety of trees. So instead of seeing 5 or 6 different varieties in an area, there might be only 2 or 3. And in cities only 1 or 2.Matt

>Hi, >I have tried the changes that you have sent but I do not see>any difference in fps. My original autogenDescriptions was>334kb, the new file that you sent is 302kb dated 10/07, could>I possibly have downloaded the wrong file since they dont>match your figures of 301 for the new and 333 for thr original>or does the small difference not matter.>>Thanks,>LarryYou're the first one that isn't seeing any difference. The 301K file is the bare minimum. The 325k file, which is now buried somewhere in the middle of this thread, should still give improved frame rates, but also some variety. Not sure why it's not working for you, aside from the obvious things like making sure you copied the file into the correct folder :)Matt

>Perhaps this can be finalized and uploaded to the library for>mass consumption? Good work.>>EarlI think what I'll do when I get some time is put together 4 or 5 different versions of this file that have different ranges of modifications. That way people can pick the one that works best for their machine. I'll make sure and upload that to AVSIM.Matt

Matt, that's good news. Thanks for the info and the hard work.Now, one more question for you. In your investigation regarding this fix, did you try editing out certain types of trees and/or bushes to see if perhaps just one particular tree or bush might have been causing the severe drop in frame rates, or are you pretty certain that just reducing the total number of varieties is the culprit? Just curious.Thanks again.

Ken

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

It would be nice if somebody from the ACES team saw this and could put into the first patch a set of sliders for "autogen variety" as well as density, that would do something similar to what Matt has done here.I have the feeling that by the end of the month there will be a LOT of work arounds for the reported slow performance as more people get hands on with the retail product and can start experimenting.We'll lick the problems, just gonna take a little work and investigation once we all get our hands on the beastie!--2002cbr600f4i

Guest BOPrey

This helps greatly. Even my low-low end laptop gets anywhere from 8-15fps now, and it is only a Dell Inspiron 5160 locked at 1.8GHz. I don't have the full version yet. Even with the trial version, it was a dream after this mod. That said, FSX is definitly run well on my game machine which as much more powerful processor and video card. These are my settings on the laptop.Global Max Texture. One notch down from the far right.Detail distance. MedMes Res. 70%Mes Texture Res. 1 meterWater. 1x MidScenery Complexity. SparceAutogen. NormalDetail VC cockpit for planes.All shadows, and bloom are off.Oh, I also have that texture hack as well.Anyway, about FSX. Maybe it is because of the resolution of texture, the perception of height is much more realitic than FS9. One question. Does any one if the following work with FSX.ActiveSky v6. Xtreme KingAir B200F1 Pilutas PC12FSD. Piper NavajoCanredo StationAir aircraftsDream Fleet. A36 and A50Also, does anyone know what the default mesh resolution is? And how much of the world is covered?

>Matt, that's good news. Thanks for the info and the hard>work.>>Now, one more question for you. In your investigation>regarding this fix, did you try editing out certain types of>trees and/or bushes to see if perhaps just one particular tree>or bush might have been causing the severe drop in frame>rates, or are you pretty certain that just reducing the total>number of varieties is the culprit? Just curious.>>Thanks again.I didn't look into this. I think the trees are all simple 2D models so they should all have the same impact. But never know.Matt

I'm going to try your second tree fix. Thanks for the work!

Saaaa-weet!Installed your "treefix2" file and I have better FPS at 1280x1024 with autogen on than I did befiore at 1024x768 with it off. Excellent. the sim looks great now. Thank you very much.