Headset on for ground operations and take off. 

once in the cruise on autopilot I take it off and enjoy the views with good resolution on monitor

then headset back on for approach and landing.

anyone else?

VR is crucial addition for me but also the ability to easily swap back and forth between 3D and 2D during a flight!

• Like 1

Interesting! I've yet to experience VR. How does that work? Are both the VR headset and the monitor connected to the computer and therefore switching to the monitor is just a matter of taking off the headset? Or, does the headset need to be unplugged and then the monitor plugged in?

Thanks, JJ

In p3d you can just select to go back to 2D viewing on monitor.

as soon as I am in the cruise, I click one button and I’m back to 2d monitor viewing. Same to go back into VR

no need to plug anything in or out or stop the flight 

VR is too uncomfortable to use for the whole flight but is essential for landings take offs and taxi for the spacial awareness and depth perception 

it’s funny, in VR I can grease it in almost every time bang on the centre line. It just feels natural. 

trying to landing in 2d on monitor I am all over the place in comparison 

I do the same thing, aircraft setup and pushback in monitor mode, then VR in engine start, taxi, takeoff, initial climb to cruise altitude, then I switch to monitor mode. There is a pull down menu to switch back and forth between monitor and VR modes.

At end of cruise TOD, I put headset back on an switch to VR. I fly VR thru descent, landing, taxi in and park. The switch back to Monitor mode to run GSX.

The immersion is incredible. Been flying VR for two years.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

Tommy and Bill,

Thank you both for expanding on your usage of VR headsets. Not even liking to wear a cap for using TrackIR (tried it and shelved it), I couldn't imagine wearing a headset for an entire flight, even a short one. But the way you describe using the technology is interesting indeed and makes me more interested than I was before reading your posts!

Good combination of VR and 2D monitor, each to its advantage, and for change of enjoyment.

With MSFS, there will be more scenic time that cries for the VR mode, and some operational time that can be left to 2D monitor.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 1:38 AM, Jean-Jacques said:

I agree!

Hi Jean; 

My use of VR -- see for yourself.  However, the recorded video pals in comparison to the actual visuals in the HMD.

Cheers,

N978PJ

Full flight out of Nassau into Congo Town, Andros (fast forward to the sections of interest -- total flight is about 20 minutes)

On 12/13/2019 at 9:20 PM, tommy10101 said:

Headset on for ground operations and take off. 

once in the cruise on autopilot I take it off and enjoy the views with good resolution on monitor

then headset back on for approach and landing.

Man, I love the views in cruise too. I effectively fly 100% VR, if i need to take the headset off (children, house on fire etc) I’ll pause it.

Did a “cross the pond” week before last, using P2ATC and the NGXu. Though I confess I did use some time compression, the 1x VR cross the pond is still to come!

I tend to do shorter flights most of the time, but mainly because I enjoy the checklists and procedures for takeoff and landing.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

On 12/13/2019 at 10:03 PM, Jean-Jacques said:

Interesting! I've yet to experience VR. How does that work? Are both the VR headset and the monitor connected to the computer and therefore switching to the monitor is just a matter of taking off the headset? Or, does the headset need to be unplugged and then the monitor plugged in?

Takes a couple of seconds to flick between VR and monitor in P3D. In x-plane, it takes about 10 seconds because there’s a loading screen.

I disagree about the comfort, though i think it’s matter of individual factors, environment and gear. For long flights, you want air con or a fan (HMDs get warm). Get a light headset (Rift S - yes, Odyssey - no). And you can - pro tip! - drink with an HMD on, you just need a straw.

3:12am here and still happily flying VR. Just stopped for a bite to eat (should have used the straw), hence wasting time posting here when i should be flying. 🙂

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

On 12/14/2019 at 10:51 AM, yanfeng12342000 said:

Good combination of VR and 2D monitor, each to its advantage, and for change of enjoyment.

With MSFS, there will be more scenic time that cries for the VR mode, and some operational time that can be left to 2D monitor.

Oh you are so right.  But I would still limit that to short flights. I still won't wear it for a flight from dtw to mia

Well I usually do shorter VFR flights (2 hours or less) and I'm completely happy to wear my Rift S all the time. 

I love to start in X-Plane 11 in a GA plane and to do a walk around (would be extra cool if you could touch and move parts of the plane from the outside in MSFS...) and then to start up the engine, program the Garmin GPS and go flying. I mostly fly over photoscenery and have dropped all my hardware beside the rudder pedals. 

P.S. And I love it to fly helicopters in VR. There is nothing like it! You get a sense of "movement" of the helicopter like I have never experienced it on a monitor!

Edited by DocBird

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times