Sign in to follow this  
cvearl

What's the haps with SIM nowadays? Help!

I was a long time student pilot/FSX/P3D guy until early 2016. I guess I took a really really long break. Suprised my account here still works! 

Been thinking of getting back in the seat. In the old days... we used to tell people. Oh the defacto newbie list to get up to snuff ... FSX+REX+ORBX+RXP+TrackIR+Carenado... wow typing from muscle memory there.

Now 4 years later having not even LOOKED at an airplane or yoke but have a much more powerful PC. What is it now? 

Thanks!

Edited by cvearl

Still much the same, although mine would be...

P3D+Rex+ASN+Orbx+Accu-sim+A2A+Ants plus whatever airliner you'd like to fly

And a whole lot more....

This time next year might be a different kettle of fish though, time will tell.

Cheers

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

24 minutes ago, Rogen said:

Still much the same, although mine would be...

P3D+Rex+ASN+Orbx+Accu-sim+A2A+Ants plus whatever airliner you'd like to fly

And a whole lot more....

This time next year might be a different kettle of fish though, time will tell.

Cheers

I was P3Dv3 just before I quit. word not allowed forgot about A2A and Accusim Thanks!

Not much has changed in 4 years time. Crazy.

Charles.

22 minutes ago, cvearl said:

Ya that's got my attention. Starting to wonder if I should hold off another 6 - 8 months.

Yep you could but in the schema of things P3D v4 is in my books pretty good atm.

Plus MSFS will be an intial release and may take a few years to get to up there so to speak.

Won't really know till it comes out.

Myself I only moved from FSX-SE/P3D v3 to P3D v4 when A2A released accusim x64 and moved their GA fleet over to x64

And it helped being able to transfer my Orbx collection (built up over some years) to P3D v4

I'll likely stick with P3D v4 till the cons for MSFS outweigh Lockheed Martin's offerings (as I've done with other migrations).

Cheers

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

17 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I wouldn't hold off, but I've been deemed bias of which I disagree ... Microsoft isn't the only company moving forward and unlike Microsoft, Lockheed Martin are VERY good about retaining compatibility while increasing performance, features, and visual quality so much of what you may already have could be a free upgrade or marginal cost upgrade. 

Unfortunately LM's weakest link is "out of the box" (and it's a big weak link), but your list of add-ons is pretty standard.  However, since you have them already you should be good to go.  There are of course many more add-ons available since 2015, many more and some very impressive.  I would look for the add-ons that support PBR materials, Dynamic Lights, and scripted textures based on environmental conditions.

If you're looking for VFR only type of flying and don't fly too low and fast and your're NOT interested in AI, ATC, seasons, lots of effects, high quality airports, complex commercial jets, extensive controller device support, ground support services, GPS/data transmit for external device, avatar guy/gal, multi-monitor, and host of other items,  then you might want to wait for MFS release.  MFS is definitely for the VFR kinda person/pilot and a very impressive sim, but it has compromises just like they all do.

You'll need really good hardware for either direction you go or if you go both directions (assuming you want to run at high graphics settings).

Cheers, Rob.

Basically I own 9 ORBX Regions, 22 ORBX Airports and 20 Carenado/A2A/Flight1 planes. My TrackIR is broken and it looks like I need to re-purchase REX or Active Sky as well as P3Dv4.

Might just play in there then for the time being. Also not sure if Pilots edge is going to be involved on the MS side. Play the waiting game I suppose.

C.