Sign in to follow this  
Dreamsofwings1

sudden spikes/walls or terrain 'glitching' in

2 minutes ago, DJJose said:

I had issues with the most latest of drivers. 441.12 sounds like the one I'm using and have not seen the issue. I can firm if needed.

yes I looked back to when I can remember not having problems and that was the last one I can recall working so that's the one I went for and it fixed this issue nicely.

Warbird and GA pilot on P3Dv5 & MSFS

Dreamsofwings YouTube channel

Well I thought this was fixed but no.  I am baffled by it. 

I have just taken off from Nome, flying west down the coast.

At Nome airport I had one of these spikes suddenly appear and then flying low around the higher ground next to the coast they have periodically appeared.

Scenery I am running in this spot is ORBX Global Base, Vector and not sure if Open LC North America stretches over here.  I don't think so by the looks of it.

Using 441.12 Nvidia driver which had seemed to work for me when I installed last week.

I was doing a flight into KMEM yesterday and ran into this same oddity. Using OrbX Global, OpenLC, and Vector, as well as FSDT KMEM. About 5 miles from the runway the wall popped up. I tried reloading the sim but the problem would show up every time I flew over that area.

I googled for a while and found someone who said their mesh resolution was set to 1m so they reduced it to 5m or 10m and the problem went away. I tried that and it did seem to fix the problem. Interestingly, I'm positive I never set my mesh res to 1m (I always leave it at 10m) so something I installed changed that.

• Upvote 1

I have it set to 1 m, too...

• Like 1

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

2 minutes ago, molleh said:

I was doing a flight into KMEM yesterday and ran into this same oddity. Using OrbX Global, OpenLC, and Vector, as well as FSDT KMEM. About 5 miles from the runway the wall popped up. I tried reloading the sim but the problem would show up every time I flew over that area.

I googled for a while and found someone who said their mesh resolution was set to 1m so they reduced it to 5m or 10m and the problem went away. I tried that and it did seem to fix the problem. Interestingly, I'm positive I never set my mesh res to 1m (I always leave it at 10m) so something I installed changed that.

Hey thanks for that, interesting.  I use GLobal Ultimate Next Generation FTX and have it set at 1m as I seem to remember somewhere that's what it can go to.  I've never had issues before but then I am flying over territory these days that I haven't been to before so maybe that's it.  I wonder if that's what causing it.  Currently over the water but will set to 5m for when I hit land next and see what happens 🙂

VERY interesting.  I hit land and there was the glitch.  Set mesh to 5m and glitch still there.  Set mesh to 10m and could not get glitch to appear.

I guess it comes down to making sure you aren't using 1m in a not 1m area perhaps?

Thanks for the help Molleh!

• Like 1

Interesting indeed. I had always set mesh at 5m or above, but several months ago I set it to 1m after installing an addon (can't remember which one, maybe  Aerosoft Lukla). I never considered that would cause the problem, but I'll try 5m and 10m and see if that clears it up - thanks Molleh (btw, your pmdg_trijet.jpg link is broken).

Kind Regards,

• Like 2

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

1 hour ago, somiller said:

Interesting indeed. I had always set mesh at 5m or above, but several months ago I set it to 1m after installing an addon (can't remember which one, maybe  Aerosoft Lukla). I never considered that would cause the problem, but I'll try 5m and 10m and see if that clears it up - thanks Molleh (btw, your pmdg_trijet.jpg link is broken).

Kind Regards,

Let me know how you get on :)

I located at Orbx PAVD, AS4 live weather and flew a departure from 06 in the Alabeo 421C. With mesh at 1m I saw a terrain spike shortly after leaving the runway. I just flew a standard right pattern to return to 06 and flew a 3 mi. final. On short final I got another spike.

Set mesh at 2m, flew same pattern and got a repeat of the above.

Set mesh at 5m, flew same pattern and saw no terrain spikes.

Kind Regards,

• Like 2

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

3 hours ago, somiller said:

I located at Orbx PAVD, AS4 live weather and flew a departure from 06 in the Alabeo 421C. With mesh at 1m I saw a terrain spike shortly after leaving the runway. I just flew a standard right pattern to return to 06 and flew a 3 mi. final. On short final I got another spike.

Kind Regards,

Hooray! If only all of life's problems (or heck, all of our simming problems) were this easy to solve. 🙂

7 hours ago, somiller said:

Kind Regards,

Thank you for posting that and confirming!

6 hours ago, molleh said:

Hooray! If only all of life's problems (or heck, all of our simming problems) were this easy to solve. 🙂

Very true! :)

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read my post!  It's great when fellow simmers come together and solve a problem!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Heh, shows how short my memory can be...today was flying in Southeast France through some hilly terrain and experienced a spike - had to come back to this thread to figure out how to get rid of them. I must have set my mesh setting to 2m again without remembering I sometimes get spikes if I have it set below 5m.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1