Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

P3Dv4.5 FPS problem

Hello all ... grumpy old me again.

I do appreciate that this subject has been covered a lot, but I cannot find anything difinitive to sort out my problem.

As can be seen by my computer specs below, I have the Ryzen 9 3900X which I have now overclocked to 4.3mhz all cores

On XPlane11 I am getting 55-60FPS out of YBCS using the Zibo 737-900U

in P3Dv4.5 I am getting 8-30FPS default aircraft and default airport YPDN. Using ORBX scenery and Aus v2 I can enjoy a cup of tea between frames (ie never exceeds 10FPS until well away from the airport)

I was watching core speeds in XPlane and it sits on 4.2mhz most of the time. With P3D it rarely exceeds 3.0mhz peak speed on single core with the rest rarely achieving 1.0mhz but most of the time up to 8 cores are sleeping.

Xplane, supposedly does not play well with Ryzen but in my case it is far out performing P3D all the time.

I have set and unset affinity in win 10 and in P3D with no discernible difference. I have also turned vsync on and off and best performance comes with vsync on and in addition I have set performance options in Nvidia control panel.

Sliders are generally set to High

My question is, how can I persuade P3D to utilize even stock 9 3900X mhz 

FXAA - off

AA    4XMSAA

Texture filtering 16 x

Texture resolutions 1024 x 1024

Monitor 1080P

Is this normal or do I appear to have a problem

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Hello guys ... thanks for the replies.

Rob, you are right in that I was referring to ghz.

I think my problem lies substantially with my overclocking efforts.

As I am Indonesia, it has been difficult ... no .... impossible to find anyone who knows anything about overclocking here.

I have scoured the net looking for overclocking advice (that means anything to me) that is specifically applicable to the Ryzen 9 3900x and my ASRock x570 Taichi motherboard.  I cannot find anything remotely applicable. A few on overclocking the 3900X, but their figures are nothing like mine in BIOS, which is very confusing to me because this is my very first attempt at overclocking.  In the end, whllst strolling through the net, I happened onto the Ryzen Master.  I also found a few people who thought that Ryzen Master was NOT the way to go. More confusion.  At least I was able to follow the instructions and started out with 4.Ghz on all cores in Ryzen Master. Temps on the "test and apply" never went above 78*(Degrees) with Core Voltage at 1.375 volts. So I upped the ante and went in point .100ghz increments on all cores (Creator mode) until I got to 4.300ghz where the temps remained about 83* under load. I was happy with that.

Into P3d again this morning, with Ryzen Master on a seperate monitor and there I monitored temps and peak speed. Temps were reliably staying in the green (about 78*) but again, I rarely saw anything above 3.000ghz.

XPlane11 remains "normal" at 55 FPS .... temps up to 83* and Peak speed at around a stable 4.200ghz

Temps in Window10 only average between 40* and 44*

I think I have followed the Ryzen Master manual fairly faithfully but I am (at 70 years of age) muddling around in unfamiliar territory.

I am just wondering now whether or not I should be doing some things in BIOS as well. There is my quantry  I am entirely unsure what figures I have to input into BIOS and which figures I have to play around with.

Is there a PDF guide or a YouTube tutorial which gives me those figures.

Regards

Tony

By the way .... New Zealand are 2 wickets down for thirty runs in their second innings, chasing an Australian lead of 436 YEEEEAAAAA

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Well, I'm running a Ryzen 2700X O/C to 4.3 Ghz and prior to that I was running a plain 1700 O/C to 4.1 Ghz and all nice and stable here, You can see my first O/C results on this vid

The 4.50 min mark shows Task Manager and CPUID HWMonitor and you can see the CPU use and temps, no CPU clocks though but as it is my 1700 Ryzen they were 4.1 Ghz across all cores. The begining of the vid also includes my P3D UI settings.

What I found was SMT needed to be off else the heat generated was too excessive and that was even with a Noctua NH-D15.

The 1700 needed quite a bit of voltage boost to keep stable, however no voltage boost was needed on the 2700X as it is already set to run at just about the maximum rated volage.

Essentually these X series processors are tuned to the max really and getting anything more out of them is a difficult proposition.

Their design is for auto boosting cores individually when there is load, however it's quite achieveable to bring them to their max boost speeds all the time, just don't expect to be able to go above the max boost rate with much success.

I did all my O/C in the bios running cinebench after each adjustment, not only as a benchmark but also just to see if the O/C settings would crash the machine, and if crash reduce speed, trial again, rinse and repeat till I could run cinebench through a few times, all the while making notes on the adjustment settings in a table. Once stable with cinebench (which maxs out the cores) I ran hours of video transcoding to fine tune as it is possible the machine can still crash after some hours of maxed cpu cores.

I didn't use Ryzen Master because it bluescreened my machine and took a safe boot for me to get back in to fix the issue. That said there are others that use it just fine.

It's a bit hard to give advice on what to do in the bios as all bios tend to be different and may use different terms and functions but I do recommend keeping the motherboard up to date with its bios (mine has had 15 bios updates since I bought in 2017) and also keep the chipset drivers uptodate which you can get from the AMD website.

For overclocking info I just trawlled the internet via Google searches bookmarking anything I thought might be of interest before culling via review.

My board is a Asus x370 (first of the line) and almost every bios update has resulted in changed functionality and new different settings, like the current bios includes the ability to control the autoboost and tune it to your needs.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

Delete shaders and config. Restart then test. 

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

4 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Hello guys ... thanks for the replies.

Rob, you are right in that I was referring to ghz.

I think my problem lies substantially with my overclocking efforts.

As I am Indonesia, it has been difficult ... no .... impossible to find anyone who knows anything about overclocking here.

I have scoured the net looking for overclocking advice (that means anything to me) that is specifically applicable to the Ryzen 9 3900x and my ASRock x570 Taichi motherboard.  I cannot find anything remotely applicable. A few on overclocking the 3900X, but their figures are nothing like mine in BIOS, which is very confusing to me because this is my very first attempt at overclocking.  In the end, whllst strolling through the net, I happened onto the Ryzen Master.  I also found a few people who thought that Ryzen Master was NOT the way to go. More confusion.  At least I was able to follow the instructions and started out with 4.Ghz on all cores in Ryzen Master. Temps on the "test and apply" never went above 78*(Degrees) with Core Voltage at 1.375 volts. So I upped the ante and went in point .100ghz increments on all cores (Creator mode) until I got to 4.300ghz where the temps remained about 83* under load. I was happy with that.

Into P3d again this morning, with Ryzen Master on a seperate monitor and there I monitored temps and peak speed. Temps were reliably staying in the green (about 78*) but again, I rarely saw anything above 3.000ghz.

XPlane11 remains "normal" at 55 FPS .... temps up to 83* and Peak speed at around a stable 4.200ghz

Temps in Window10 only average between 40* and 44*

I think I have followed the Ryzen Master manual fairly faithfully but I am (at 70 years of age) muddling around in unfamiliar territory.

I am just wondering now whether or not I should be doing some things in BIOS as well. There is my quantry  I am entirely unsure what figures I have to input into BIOS and which figures I have to play around with.

Is there a PDF guide or a YouTube tutorial which gives me those figures.

Regards

Tony

By the way .... New Zealand are 2 wickets down for thirty runs in their second innings, chasing an Australian lead of 436 YEEEEAAAAA

Before overclocking, why don’t you give a try to an optimized p3d run?

Start from scratch, everything on stock and follow the RD Preset optimization guide (the best 3usd you can ever spent).

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

Rogen,

Thanks mate.  

As I said, I cannot find a specific 9 3900X ASRock x570 Taichi overclocking guide.  There has to be someone, somewhere, who has done it. It is the actual figures in the BIOS that I am after.

The Board is only a month old and I updated the BIOS at time of install. I read somewhere that 1.375 volts was a good maximum voltage for the overclocking and the temps are nowhere near 95 degrees, which is the recommended maximum. I also use "Speccy" to monitor all other temps.

I have seen videos overclocking a 3800X on an ASUS mb but, as I said, all the stock figures are very different to my stock figures. As a guide, it just confuzzles (I love that word) me further.

Ramon,

Can you tell me what an optimized p3d run actually is.

Everything in my P3D IS stock, apart from REX Skyforce and some aircraft. I did say also, that I was using default airports and default Carenado aircraft.

What is the RD Preset optimization guide.

Pete,

P3D is stock ... if I do, in fact, have shaders, they too are stock.

Regards and thanks for your thoughts

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

I don't know if you looked here, but here is a link to a number of 3900x overclocking videos -- https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=3900x+overclock

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

pgde,

Thank you so much for that link mate.

I visited that link and found a youtube overclock to 4.5ghz which I followed.

Very similar to what I had but I followed it scrupulously and found a vast improvement. P3D is now attaining up to 4.480ghz .... BUT it is fluctuating from that, down to 1.2ghz (using Ryzen master to monitor peak speeds.

In P3D, I am now getting FPS fluctuating from 6.8 to 45 FPS but it is not getting down to the lower levels quite as much.  I have to regard that as a vast improvement, but, being old and grumpy, I am not really happy with it.

XPlane 11 has gone up to a very consistent 65 to 70 FPS and very rarely does it come down to less than 4.0ghz.

Given the vast difference in FPS between P3D and XPlane 11, noting also that XPlane notoriously (bit harsh maybe) does not play well with Xplane, I can only conclude that I have to play with settings (again).  All my sliders are set at high (P3D) and dense or very dense, and, I do not really want to go any further down.  

Where do I start??

Thanks again for all the responses so far.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

What is the current power plan in Windows?

I have High Performance set with the minimum processor state set to 100%

Means the processor will aways run @ 100% of it's speed i.e. 4.3 Ghz at all times in my instance.

Cheers

Rogen,

Maximum performance in Windows 10 and Nvidia control panel

Tony

Tony Chilcott.