Sign in to follow this  
Guest beana51

Aircraft- or quality of rendition

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!A few threads have made me wonder. What makes you more interested in a particular sim aircraft, the performance and looks of its real world counterpart or the quality of the rendition for your sim?For the sake of argument, let's start with the premise that the flight dynamics are accurate and would be acceptable to you for several choices. Would you settle for flying a plane you don't think is quite as cool to get more systems/avionics functionality or the "latest thing" like flushing toilets or something?I'm not training for my PPL, and I do like heavies sometimes, but my simming is usually heavily biased on the premise that I "own" this particular aircraft (or possibly own the airline:-)).A lot of discussions about whether one plane is preferable over another focus on the sim rendition and hardly mention the attributes of the real world aircraft being modeled! Speaking for myself, all available renditions of a PCXII would have to be pretty awful for me to think about flying a Meridian or TBM-700 instead. And since I personally value the ability to squeeze a jet into small feilds, I am happy with freeware Citation X's but would be willing to pay for the best rendition of a Hawker 800XP.Let me give a quick example to avoid confusion as to the question.Now, just suppose RealAir had done the Questair Venture instead of the Marchetti, with the same standards and expertise being brought to the rendition. Would your interest be affected, based on the type of aircraft being modeled? And just how far does an excellent rendition have to be outside of the class of aircraft you usually fly to start gathering dust in your hangar soon after install?What do you base your preferences on, and what percentage? Just curious.Edit: As a "side question", you have won a sweepstakes giving you a lifetime wet lease on the aircraft of your choice, maintenance included. So which aircraft do you pick? Remember, aquisition, outfitting, fuel burn and maintenance are not considerations- but this lease is for your own use, charters and starting your own airline can't be done under the terms of the lease granted.I would be sorely tempted by the single pilot capable Eclipse 500, but I still think I'd go for the PCXII.Best Regards, Donny:-wave

Guest SJDickson

Interesting question.I generally don't install a plane unless I'm interested in its real-world counterpart, either because of its capabilities, looks, performance or some other intangible quality. Then, the more accurately the plane is modeled, the more time I will spend with it.No matter how accurately a plane is modeled, if I'm not interested in it, I won't use it. So, plane type is of paramount importance with accuracy a secondary, though still important, consideration.

Guest beana51

Hi Donny, I tend to fly the planes I'm familiar with.Usually GA airplanes.So many good ones out there.If not perfect, I tend to fill in the blanks,from memory's of flight in them.Now if I want to fantasize,about being a line Captain,I can.The same for the war birds. However,like a an old pair of shows,the one's I flew are the ones I enjoy the most. If I won a plane on a sweepstakes?,I would hope it was a C-182, Perfect for me.Good post. Regards VIN