Sign in to follow this  
Orlaam

Windows 10 Update from Windows 7

I am contemplating updating to Windows 10.  I know most people have reported the process is now rather seamless, and a lot of the problems found early on are gone.  My concerns aren't more with small things.  For one, email.  I use Windows Live Mail, which came with Windows 7.  I do have gmail, but primarily use my home cable internet for email.  I have a lot of saved emails that I am not prepared to lose, and forwarding or printing is just too much effort.  Does the update-only using the Media Creation tool wipe out the emails?  I've read that it will, but that post was pretty old.  Otherwise, I'll have to wait until my next PC build, which will be geared towards MSFS 2020.

Anything else I need to worry about?  My FSX:SE and 90% of my add-ons or random files are on other drives already.

Thanks,

Chris

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Not that I can think of. I'm currently on a regular copy of Windows 10, but I did the conversation a few years ago without any issues.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Isn't live mail web based? Media Creation tool W10 comes with email, but I don't remember if it's live mail. Even if it isn't, you should be able to download live mail, sign in and be good to go. For what it's worth, I've had W10 since it came out. No out of the ordinary problems.

• Like 2

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Live Mail is like Outlook.  Separate program that MS gave people, either as part of a download or bundled with Windows.  I can't tell if the free Outlook from MS will import old WLM emails. 🤨

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

During the update, the mail should not be canceled but, just in case, perform a backup:  https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/116162-windows-live-mail-export-import-email-messages.html

When you start the update, the Media Creation Tool will perform a compatibility check with your software/hardware.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i9-11900K (5.3 GHz), 64 GB RAM (DDR4 3600), RTX 3070, 1 TB (M.2 SSD). Windows 10 Pro. Installed Sims: MSFS 2020.

I've never had any issues, apart from having to do a manual graphics driver update on about 6 laptops that Ive manually updated from both Windows 7 & 8.1, & I have never lost anything during the update. 

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Ok, thanks everyone!

- Chris

I performed the update using the Media Creation Tool today.  The whole process maybe took an hour.  Everything in terms of non-FS programs and files/emails are perfectly fine.  So far it's been a smooth transition and the only program that was labeled incompatible was Windows Essentials.  The internet seems faster, which is suspect, since I noticed a problem resolving hosts a couple years ago.  I was never able to figure out why it took a long time to transition to new web pages. 

- Chris

There has been a lot of doom and gloom written about doing the update this way.. 

Happy you got yourself sorted out. 

I also thought the PC was a bit smoother and faster. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...