Sign in to follow this  
Cat_Dad

Are These Good Temps?

I would like to know if my computer temps are cool enough while running X-Plane 11.41.

Being new to the water cooled world of AIOs, the temp I see at the cooler is quite different from the actual CPU and graphic card readings. My system is a i9 9900K (no overclocking) a RTX 2080 Black Edit (two fans) and the cooler is a Corsair H100i Platinum, and the case is a Fractal Define R6 (front door open and metal top removed.( Louvered filter closure in place)

The case has two stock 120 mm fans in the front and one 120 mm in the rear. The Corsair AIO cooler is top mounted with the fans on top of the cooler in the pull position.

The computer idles at 29.5 to 31C depending on the room temperature. I like to stay and warm  at a nice 77-78F during the winter months. Not quite sure what that is in Centigrade.

Under load running X-plane, the cooler runs 38 to 43C depending on the scenery being generated. I am running most of the sliders full right except the AA and the reflections (X4 and low)

The Corsair Icue program shows the CPU package running at 70 to 72C and the RTX 2080 also is in the 70 to 73C range. As soon as I shut down X-plane, the GPU temps drops to 50C and in a minute or so the fans are spun down from 1600 to 1900 rpm to zero. 

The CPU case drops to 50 to 60 C and within a minute or two the temps are basically what the cooler temp is reading.

Not knowing how well the water block and CPU were mated together and what kind of thermal compound was applied, are the numbers I am seeing considered in the normal range for a computer with these specs?

The only way I can get the under load temps down on the cooler is to ramp the fans speed up to the full mil/afterburner range which is quite load. I was under the impression that water cooled systems were super quiet. I just did not realize that was at idle only.

Looking for ways to be both cool and quiet. 

Terry

Temps in the 70s are OK.  The big question I'd want answered with that setup is whether or not the H100 will hold temps at that level over long periods of heavy CPU load like we see with a flight sim running for hours on end.  If the fan curve is insufficiently aggressive, heat will gradually build up in the coolant, with the coolant forming a heat reservoir, and temps will slowly climb over time.  Coolant temp in the mid 40 deg C range is a bit too warm for my taste...I have my H100i set to ramp up starting at coolant temp of 25 deg C and reaching full fan speed at 30 deg C.

Cool and quiet...well, an AIO unit like the H100 does not have enough surface area in the radiator to cool a heavily-loaded 9900K without pushing up the fans.  So how quiet you can get away with will depend on the ambient temp in the room, and how heavily the CPU is loaded (load and duty cycle). 

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case