Sign in to follow this  
nosar77

Dual Trim switch

I just got my honeycomb alpha yoke and it has dual trim switched for elevator and rudder is there anyway to make them into redundant like the real plane as in you have to press both to get it the trim to move at least on my jets I would like that. 

I am not sure I understand your request. I have no experience of the Honeycomb yoke or the switches you refer to. Do you have a photo?

LINDA each switch/button separately. Each can be assigned to a specific function. To make them redundant you assign them to no assignment or do nothing. 

What aircraft are you using?

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

You just need to keep track of how many buttons are down in a non-local variable. This is the same technique as I use for managing the centre-push of my rotary controls as a SHIFT switch. Try something like this:

local FwdTrimVotes = 0

function FwdTrimBtn_DN()  -- Map to both forward trim button down actions
  FwdTrimVotes = FwdTrimVotes + 1
  if FwdTrimVotes > 1 then
    -- Do elevator trim forward command
  end
end

function FwdTrimBtn_UP()  -- Map this to both forward trim button up actions
  FwdTrimVotes = FwdTrimVotes - 1
end

local AftTrimVotes = 0

function AftTrimBtn_DN()  -- Map to both aft trim button down actions
  AftTrimVotes = AftTrimVotes + 1
  if AftTrimVotes > 1 then
    -- Do elevator trim aft command
  end
end

function AftTrimBtn_UP()  -- Map this to both aft trim button up actions
  AftTrimVotes = AftTrimVotes - 1
end

You need to make it more robust in case you miss events, as the voting variables will be out of step and it will stop working. I'd probably insert AftTrimVotes = 0 into each of th forward trim functions and vice versa.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Honeycomb-Alpha-Flight-Controls5d3854e1b

There are two trim switches on the yoke, on real aircraft you need to engage both switches to actually move the trim on the aircraft, I would like to make it like the real aircraft, i would have to push both switch up or down to engage the trim.

4 hours ago, ScotFlieger said:

I am not sure I understand your request. I have no experience of the Honeycomb yoke or the switches you refer to. Do you have a photo?

They are dual switches, so you need to press both at the same time to operate the trim. [oops, too late :rolleyes:]

11-07354a.jpg

• Upvote 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

7 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

You just need to keep track of how many buttons are down in a non-local variable. This is the same technique as I use for managing the centre-push of my rotary controls as a SHIFT switch. Try something like this:

local FwdTrimVotes = 0

function FwdTrimBtn_DN()  -- Map to both forward trim button down actions
  FwdTrimVotes = FwdTrimVotes + 1
  if FwdTrimVotes > 1 then
    -- Do elevator trim forward command
  end
end

function FwdTrimBtn_UP()  -- Map this to both forward trim button up actions
  FwdTrimVotes = FwdTrimVotes - 1
end

local AftTrimVotes = 0

function AftTrimBtn_DN()  -- Map to both aft trim button down actions
  AftTrimVotes = AftTrimVotes + 1
  if AftTrimVotes > 1 then
    -- Do elevator trim aft command
  end
end

function AftTrimBtn_UP()  -- Map this to both aft trim button up actions
  AftTrimVotes = AftTrimVotes - 1
end

You need to make it more robust in case you miss events, as the voting variables will be out of step and it will stop working. I'd probably insert AftTrimVotes = 0 into each of th forward trim functions and vice versa.

Thank you!! Im kind of a noob when it comes to linda but do i need to save this as a .lua and use fsuipc with it or install it with linda?

1 minute ago, nosar77 said:

Thank you!! Im kind of a noob when it comes to linda but do i need to save this as a .lua and use fsuipc with it or install it with linda?

This is a LINDA program, so you need to add it to your 'actions' file for the aircraft you are using, or to a library file in the 'libs' folder. (You can do it without LINDA but you have to do the global variables differently.)

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

1 hour ago, MarkDH said:

This is a LINDA program, so you need to add it to your 'actions' file for the aircraft you are using, or to a library file in the 'libs' folder. (You can do it without LINDA but you have to do the global variables differently.)

I recommend you add any new functions in the user.lua found in the /modules/LINDA/aircrafts/{your aircraft}/ folder. 

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

3 hours ago, nosar77 said:

Honeycomb-Alpha-Flight-Controls5d3854e1b

There are two trim switches on the yoke, on real aircraft you need to engage both switches to actually move the trim on the aircraft, I would like to make it like the real aircraft, i would have to push both switch up or down to engage the trim.

Does the Honeycomb yoke not come with a driver and a customization interface?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

3 hours ago, MarkDH said:

Okay so i mapped both of the trim down functions to both switches and it doesn't work on the PMDG 747. Do i need to use a offset instead of those other functions?

1 hour ago, nosar77 said:

Okay so i mapped both of the trim down functions to both switches and it doesn't work on the PMDG 747. Do i need to use a offset instead of those other functions?

Have you had your PMDG trim working from switches before? Probably best to sort that out before playing with the dual switches. I don't have anything from PMDG so I can't say how they have implemenetd their trim. It seems unlikely they are using many of the standard functions.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

23 hours ago, MarkDH said:

Have you had your PMDG trim working from switches before? Probably best to sort that out before playing with the dual switches. I don't have anything from PMDG so I can't say how they have implemenetd their trim. It seems unlikely they are using many of the standard functions.

I mean your script didn't work on regular aircraft eithe. So I'm not sure how I'm supposed to implement this. I tried default planes and this didn't work. I understand how the script is supposed to work . But in practice it does nothing even after I insert the proper ipc.contol to move the trim. 

1 hour ago, nosar77 said:

I mean your script didn't work on regular aircraft eithe. So I'm not sure how I'm supposed to implement this. I tried default planes and this didn't work. I understand how the script is supposed to work . But in practice it does nothing even after I insert the proper ipc.contol to move the trim. 

Well I didn't try it, so you may need to do a bit of debugging. Start with this and see if it works:

function FwdTrimBtn_DN()
	_ELEV_TRIM_DN()
end

function AftTrimBtn_DN()
	_ELEV_TRIM_UP()
end

(Those functions are in lib-fsx.lua and use ipc.control() to send events 65607 and 65615.) Then add the rest of the code a piece at a time, using ipc.log() to monitor the values of the variables and the control flow.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg