Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

New P3D Install Question...

Morning all,

I'm about to start a new PC build for P3D v4 and I'm trying to figure the best method to remove and reinstall P3Dv4.  The new machine will have a brand new SSD drive on which i will install Windows 10 64 Bit Pro, I will also move the SSD which has my current P3Dv4 installation on it to the new machine.  Should I perform an uninstall from my current Windows 7 machine before moving the SSD to the new machine? Or should I just put the SSD with P3Dv4 in the new machine, and then do an install/repair of P3D on top of the existing folder?  Or as a third and most painful option should i do a fresh install to the P3D drive (ie. create a different folder path) and then bring in files as needed from the original P3D folder?  I'm tyring to do this as painlessly as possible, but my main objective is to remain pain free in the long term, (minimize the risk of CTDs ect.)  Thanks for the help all!!!

Richard

I don't think the license authentication is going to remain active with a new OS on a new mobo.  I would definitely deactivate the P3D license and do a fresh install.

It shouldn't be painless, the only scenery addons that will not automatically reappear are those that use the FSX method (scenery.cfg) of installation.

Dan Downs KCRP

I am looking forward to reinstalling absolutely everything from scratch on my new PC build over Christmas. I have not installed a new OS in years, so I expect it to be an exhilarating wander down memory lane. I am also not bothered about having to reinstall P3D v4 and all of my addons. It is part of the new PC experience, and should be embraced with warmth and affection!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

4 minutes ago, downscc said:

I don't think the license authentication is going to remain active with a new OS on a new mobo.  I would definitely deactivate the P3D license and do a fresh install.

It shouldn't be painless, the only scenery addons that will not automatically reappear are those that use the FSX method (scenery.cfg) of installation.

Freudian slip?  😋

Unfortunately, no, it will not be painless.  Any program that has license keys or config info stored in the registry will need to be reinstalled as a result of a new OS install. 

You also need to uninstall or otherwise deregister P3D and a few other add-ons before decommissioning your current setup, as those programs require you to free up your license registration in the vendor's database before you can install and/or register another copy.  This includes P3D itself, PMDG and FSL acft, FSPS software like FFTF Dynamic, and others.

Truth be told, it's often (usually) more time and trouble to try and reincarnate and then troubleshoot an old setup than to rebuild from the ground up, as many add-ons install things like elevation corrections, sounds, effects, and config settings in varied ways and places, and simply moving the old P3D drive over will not capture all that.  It leaves you with a configuration that will have dozens of these issues popping up as you use add-ons for the first time.

My advice...rebuild it the right way.  And keep detailed notes for the next time.

• Upvote 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Glad I came by this thread, because that is the same route I will be embarking on. So, the advice here is most helpful.

Thnx all - this was like going to the Dr. and asking do i need to do more exercise? knowing full well the answer will be yes!!  But i didn't know about the licensing issues, so good to learn that.  Just for clarification though.  Simply running the P3D uninstaller will deactivate all my licenses? or does each addon (like PMDG etc.) need to be deactivated individually?  

14 minutes ago, Slick9 said:

Thnx all - this was like going to the Dr. and asking do i need to do more exercise? knowing full well the answer will be yes!!  But i didn't know about the licensing issues, so good to learn that.  Just for clarification though.  Simply running the P3D uninstaller will deactivate all my licenses? or does each addon (like PMDG etc.) need to be deactivated individually?  

No, uninstalling P3D will only deactivate P3D itself.  So for those add-on programs that need to be deregistered while running in P3D (specifically all of the PMDG birds, where deregistration is done with an option in the FMS menu), do that first before uninstalling P3D.  I keep a spreadsheet where I log all my config changes and add-on installations, and one column in that sheet identifies any program that requires explicit deregistration.  So it's an easy thing to re-sort the list with all those programs at the top grouped together.

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

For the record.....does the Quality Wings 787 licence need to be deactivated before reinstalling on another PC? I assume that will be the case, but I want to be certain.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks all!!!  Bob, I like your suggestion of keeping a spreadsheet with the details of the programs requiring registrations.  All i wanted to do is play pilot, now i have to play admin too 🙂

21 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I am looking forward to reinstalling absolutely everything from scratch on my new PC build over Christmas. I have not installed a new OS in years, so I expect it to be an exhilarating wander down memory lane. I am also not bothered about having to reinstall P3D v4 and all of my addons. It is part of the new PC experience, and should be embraced with warmth and affection!

Hi Christopher, Looking forward to hearing how your new pc works.

Regarding installing UK2000 airports i would think you must have most of them, when you go to reinstall one that has maybe 3 upgrades will the latest download include the upgrades or do you have install them again as well.

Thanks  Brian

18 hours ago, Slick9 said:

Thanks all!!!  Bob, I like your suggestion of keeping a spreadsheet with the details of the programs requiring registrations.  All i wanted to do is play pilot, now i have to play admin too 🙂

I have been doing this record-keeping for years now. Makes life so much easier when re-installing. I keep a spreadsheet detailng product name, date purchased, price paid, Serial Numbers,etc, etc

20 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

For the record.....does the Quality Wings 787 licence need to be deactivated before reinstalling on another PC? I assume that will be the case, but I want to be certain.

AFAIK none of the add-ons that use the Flight1 wrapper need to be separately deactivated.

6 hours ago, byronp said:

Hi Christopher, Looking forward to hearing how your new pc works.

Regarding installing UK2000 airports i would think you must have most of them, when you go to reinstall one that has maybe 3 upgrades will the latest download include the upgrades or do you have install them again as well.

Thanks  Brian

I am reasonably certain that the main download does not include any updates that are shown as separate in your download account, so those would also need to be installed again.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png