Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

I Predict We'll Buy XBOXs to Run MSFS 2020

I predict that a majority of you reading this message will eventually purchase the new XBOX Series X when it is released pre-holiday 2020. My understanding is that the new XBOX Series X will be comparable in graphics capability to the highest-end PC and graphics card currently available. MSFS 2020 is probably being specifically written for the Series X hardware. I can also imagine XBOX-Flight-Simulator bundles being sold together that picture the stunning images of MSFS 2020 on the outside of the box.

Since the most elaborate XBOX packages have historically cost less than $500, buying the new XBOX next year, bundled with MSFS 2020, may be an attractive financial alternative to purchasing a new high-end graphics card or an entirely new PC for those with antiquated systems. To me, the XBOX controller is ideally suited to run Flight Sim. Even now on my PC, I connect my current XBOX controller via a USB cable and highly prefer it to any other controller available.

It is much easier to write code for hardware that are all absolutely identical than to code for PCs, no two of which are the same. And by the way, if you buy a new XBOX, you can always claim that it was really for the kids or grand kids, not you. You'll be a hero.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

7 minutes ago, David Mills said:

I predict that a majority of you reading this message will eventually purchase the new XBOX Series X when it is released pre-holiday 2020. My understanding is that the new XBOX Series X will be comparable in graphics capability to the highest-end PC and graphics card currently available. MSFS 2020 is probably being specifically written for the Series X hardware. I can also imagine XBOX-Flight-Simulator bundles being sold together that picture the stunning images of MSFS 2020 on the outside of the box.

Since the most elaborate XBOX packages have historically cost less than $500, buying the new XBOX next year, bundled with MSFS 2020, may be an attractive financial alternative to purchasing a new high-end graphics card or an entirely new PC for those with antiquated systems. To me, the XBOX controller is ideally suited to run Flight Sim. Even now on my PC, I connect my current XBOX controller via a USB cable and highly prefer it to any other controller available.

It is much easier to write code for hardware that are all absolutely identical than to code for PCs, no two of which are the same. And by the way, if you buy a new XBOX, you can always claim that it was really for the kids or grand kids, not you. You'll be a hero.

In your dreams

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Most people preferring dedicated peripherals. I use a controller, but I couldn't do without a keyboard. I wonder how MS plans to implement fitting in so many controls on an X-Box.

In any case, I do hope MS/Asobo are future-proofing this sim a bit. PCs are almost always ahead of consoles, even if there are sometimes overlaps when a console is released.

• Like 1

I wonder whether the new XBOX will support multiple monitors.

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

15 minutes ago, David Mills said:

MSFS 2020 is probably being specifically written for the Series X hardware.

MSFS is being designed to run well on both medium to high-end gaming PCs and the new Xbox, because an Xbox it's basically just a PC under the hood. If you have a medium to high-end gaming PC, then you won't have any reason to buy an Xbox. Buying an Xbox X might be an option for those with years-old PCs that don't meet the system requirements for decent frame rates and eye candy. We don't know what those specs are yet.

Since the most elaborate XBOX packages have historically cost less than $500, buying the new XBOX next year, bundled with MSFS 2020, may be an attractive financial alternative to purchasing a new high-end graphics card or an entirely new PC for those with antiquated systems.

I don't think the price has been set yet, but I've heard a price of $600 USD quoted for the X, with a lower-end console under that.

To me, the XBOX controller is ideally suited to run Flight Sim. Even now on my PC, I connect my current XBOX controller via a USB cable and highly prefer it to any other controller available.

Tastes vary. I love doing a side-slip into a crosswind landing with rudder pedals, and I'd find it impossible to do a smooth hover in a helicopter without rudder pedals.

MSFS will not be successful if it only appeals to console gamers. It needs to support conventional flight controls simmers are used to, like yokes, joysticks, throttle quadrants, and rudder pedals. And eventually, cockpit instruments/controls like the Saitek/Logitech series. Maybe a renaissance of force-feedback joysticks too, if we're lucky. 

It is much easier to write code for hardware that are all absolutely identical than to code for PCs, no two of which are the same.

Sure, if it would only be a console release, but it's not. The current Tech Alpha is aimed at seeing how it works on a wide range of user systems, and tweaking for best performance. The later conversion to Xbox should be much simpler.

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I'm also curious about whether third-party developers will have to produce two different versions of their work, one for the PC version and one for the XBOX version, or whether a single product will run successfully on both platforms.

I think the OP with respect is being somewhat optimistic... the Series X will apparently be 2x more powerful than the One X. An XB1X can granted, run RDR2 at 4K on the equivalent of medium-ish PC settings but at only 30 fps. My (much more expensive) PC can run it between high and ultra settings at 60 fps. So even twice the power of the XB1X is still way off a high-end PC in terms of CPU and GPU, but has a way more bang for the buck. 

• Like 2

I still plan an upgrade next year but looking at XBOX series X I may buy one it may be a power mini PC.

It will have the latest tech not yet on the PC.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

24 minutes ago, David Mills said:

I'm also curious about whether third-party developers will have to produce two different versions of their work, one for the PC version and one for the XBOX version, or whether a single product will run successfully on both platforms.

Yes they are going to dumb down the PC version🤗.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

51 minutes ago, David Mills said:

I think that breaks down into two questions concerning method of sale and functionality.

IIRC, there is an additional MS certification process developers have to go through for Xbox games compared to PC versions. That could apply to software like plugins, but I don't know if it would apply to add-ons like aircraft or airports. I think MS has said developers will be able to  sell add-ons through their own retail outlets, but they might have to go through this additional certification if they want to sell through the Microsoft/Xbox storefront.

Regarding functionality, I think the new Xbox X will be so similar to a "gaming PC" configuration that developers won't be making two fundamentally different versions of an add-on aircraft, scenery addition, or utility plugin. That's just a guess though, I have no inside info on that. Once the devs are released from NDA we'll find out more about how this will work.

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Gosh no, I won't be buying an Xbox anytime soon or ever.  I will be building a beast of a new PC once MFS releases though.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rjfry said:

I still plan an upgrade next year but looking at XBOX series X I may buy one it may be a power mini PC.

It will have the latest tech not yet on the PC.

Ugh. Please don't give that guy views. You can't trust everything he says as he is heavily biased towards team green. I'd suggest getting info from Digital Foundry.

OT: OP, I predict you'll be very wrong lol. I do think it's absolutely fantastic that the franchise is finally coming to console tho. I remember wishing MS would put FSX on the Xbox360 when my PC at the time proved to be woefully inadequate. Times have changed now and I'm sticking to PC.

• Like 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

I won’t. Not because I hate consoles, but I like to play games on a desktop PC. Also I like to know I have always the possibility to upgrade the hardware when something better is released.

If you just want sit on your chair and fly, not worrying about setting things up, an Xbox is really the best option.