Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

I Predict We'll Buy XBOXs to Run MSFS 2020

7 hours ago, Scottoest said:

The Xbox One (and Xbox Series X) both run/will run a modified version of Windows 10, so there's no reason they couldn't theoretically support most PC flight sim peripherals natively if they wanted.

Nonetheless, I don't expect most flight simmers to "upgrade" to a game console.  For one, there's lots of older folks in the community who just... won't.  For two, consoles are more locked down - both in terms of how you can modify software, and in modifying hardware.  Now I'm sure MSFS will have official add-on support on console, but I expect that to be via a listing of "approved" add-ons within the game, whereas the PC version will offer more freedom.

And of course, PC's are more versatile for other tasks.  A console is only a good purcahse if you intend to play other games.

completly true. actualy my setup is 

9900k @ 5GHz, 64G DDR4 3300Mhz, ZOTAC RTX 2080TI AMP!Edition, samsung nvme 970 pro 512G, nvme 970 evo 2T, 860 PRO 2T.

and beetwen 2012 and 2019 my setup was 2600k, 16G DDR3, and intel ssd. but in 2012 with 2 sli 580gtx, and after 2 sli 970gtx (2014), and after a 1080gtx (2017). I abandoned sli with  RV.

With pc, you can keep long time same hardware and only change graphic card. and these purchases are not related to the requirement of simulators, but to the requirement of games in general. (well, for those who like me want all the cursors to the max)

which is why this is a pointless debate for me.

What's scandalous is that many simulators today bring powerful machines to their knees because they are poorly optimized and with outdated graphics and engine.

So before going attacking  an alpha of a new generation simulator, which will evidently be more demanding in 4K or VR (in max detail), but very accessible in the HD standards, we should ask ourselves why in 2019 the current simulators do not make 90 frames in HD. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, azulkb said:

So before going attacking  an alpha of a new generation simulator, which will evidently be more demanding in 4K or VR (in max detail), but very accessible in the HD standards, we should ask ourselves why in 2019 the current simulators do not make 90 frames in HD. 

I mean, there's no one to really blame for this, beyond an accumulation of cruft built atop the dusty bones of decades old platforms, and a reluctance to abandon those platforms due to the amount of time and money invested in them.

This is the biggest performance advantage MSFS has: implementing the aims of a hundred X-Plane and P3D add-ons into the core code, instead of haphazardly duct taping it on to an engine that was never designed for it.  And dealing with a modern engine, written for MODERN hardware, and modern rendering techniques.

You can be sure it will be optimized for XBOX 2020 that is why MS bought MSFS back to fit in the game catalogue, with a gold membership you may get access free.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

4 minutes ago, rjfry said:

You can be sure it will be optimized for XBOX 2020 that is why MS bought MSFS back to fit in the game catalogue, with a gold membership you may get access free.  

If the rumoured specs of the Xbox Series X are accurate, it isn't going to take a lot of optimization, haha.  The thing is supposedly pushing 12 TFLOPS, which would put it on par with a reasonably high end gaming PC.

For comparison's sake, the current standard Xbox One S pushes approximately 1.4 TFLOPS.

And to be clear, an Xbox Live Gold membership is different than a Game Pass membership - unless you have "Game Pass Ultimate", which rolls Xbox Game Pass, PC Game Pass, and XBL Gold into a single subscription.  MSFS will be "free" for GAME PASS subscribers.  XBL Gold just gives you access to online multiplayer on an Xbox.

A PC Game Pass subscription can currently be had for, I believe, $4.99 a month on it's own.

7 hours ago, rjfry said:

Since the sim is coming for PC "first and foremost" and they specifically stated only after the PC version is stable they will start to work on moving it over to Xbox I can't see how it will be optimized for Xbox. I mean, the Xbox version should obviously be optimized for Xbox (I'm a genius, I know) but why is the whole "MSFS is focused on Xbox" story still going around?

• Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

because xbox2020 is a pc with specs so high currently only 1% of gamers have something comparable.

That's not true. The Xbox Series X has some grunty CPU and GPU specs, but it's only going to have 16 GB system RAM, divided as 13 GB for games, 3 GB for the operating system.

It's true that there won't be as many background processes as a typical gaming PC, but many of us are running 32 GB systems these days which allows flight sim developers to extend the feature list, while leaving plenty of overhead for background processes, parallel programs like flight planners etc. It allows us to do things like load the optional UHD terrain mesh in XP11, which requires 32 GB for enough RAM overhead  P3D and its add-on developers are just beginning to use more RAM now that it's 64-bit, so the requirements are bound to go up there with time.

MS/ASOBO may have the advantage of using a new world engine that may be very efficient, but you still need gobs of RAM to do certain things.

So if anything, the Xbox version of the new MSFS may be the one that has to be "dumbed down" compared to the PC version. I believe MS/ASOBO won't want to limit what the new sim can achieve by designing it for a relatively cramped 16 GB system spec. None of the other flight sims will be doing that.

So next year if you want whats in the videos, you spend either $5000 on a new gaming rig, or $600 on an xbox. give or take.

Without giving too much away, I'll just say that's ridiculous. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

So next year if you want whats in the videos, you spend either $5000 on a new gaming rig, or $600 on an xbox. give or take.

More like $1500 to match the Xbox Series X right now, and $1000 or less by the time it's out.

3 hours ago, mSparks said:

because xbox2020 is a pc with specs so high currently only 1% of gamers have something comparable. 

op predicts you go for the later.

I predict everyone switches to x-plane.

I want to laugh, but he is being serious. Let me guess, you also think the new XBOX will do 4k/120fps... 🙄

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

1 hour ago, Paraffin said:

Without giving too much away, I'll just say that's ridiculous. 

Don't even bother. I think we are going to have to get used to him stirring up every discussion about MSFS with his agenda so unless he makes a somewhat qualified post just ignore it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

6 hours ago, mSparks said:

op predicts you go for the later.

I predict everyone switches to x-plane.

I still can't figure out if you're an active troll, an X-Plane True Believer, or just someone who hates Microsoft so much that they are incapable of doing anything but spraying obfuscating squid ink into every conversation about MSFS.  Maybe all three.

1) We already know the sim runs at a decently stable 4K & 60fps on a current high end gaming PC, from public demos where people could see the machine specs for themselves.

2) Said high-end gaming PCs would NOT cost anywhere near $5000 in parts.  And if they did, they wouldn't also be in a $500 console.  How can you say this with a straight face?

3) If a newer Intel i9 CPU and a 2080 Ti can run the sim at 4K60 in an unoptimized ALPHA state, it stands to reason that running the sim at the lower resolutions more common to PC monitors (1080p, 1440p), and a more modest framerate like stable 30fps, will be possible on decent PC hardware.  Resolution is GPU intensive.  And if you've got a 4K monitor, there's a good chance you've already got a beefy PC anyway, because running anything at an acceptable framerate in 4K takes good hardware.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

Has it used the term “sheeple” yet?

Don't think so, but I'd be shocked if there weren't a few "M$" sprinkled in.

It's like the Japanese holdouts post-WW2, on a pacific island garrison somewhere, still talking about Steve Ballmer, "Embrace, Extend Extinguish", and laughing about "Developers Developers Developers" while proclaiming 2020 the Year of the Linux Desktop.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scottoest said:

If the rumoured specs of the Xbox Series X are accurate, it isn't going to take a lot of optimization, haha.  The thing is supposedly pushing 12 TFLOPS, which would put it on par with a reasonably high end gaming PC.

For comparison's sake, the current standard Xbox One S pushes approximately 1.4 TFLOPS.

And to be clear, an Xbox Live Gold membership is different than a Game Pass membership - unless you have "Game Pass Ultimate", which rolls Xbox Game Pass, PC Game Pass, and XBL Gold into a single subscription.  MSFS will be "free" for GAME PASS subscribers.  XBL Gold just gives you access to online multiplayer on an Xbox.

A PC Game Pass subscription can currently be had for, I believe, $4.99 a month on it's own.

Chic-fil-A chicken sandwich... gone! gotta pay the Game Pass....

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

So why do you think this? I've never seen a studio be this active or transparent when making a product. 

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

15 minutes ago, reignman40 said:

So why do you think this? I've never seen a studio be this active or transparent when making a product. 

flight sim is the last of the (significant) desktop hold outs for gaming. They want you off windows 7 and to buy their hardware and subscribe to their services, they have been completely transparent about it. Nadellas memos are public, all the msfs2020 announcements have been at xbox events. They completely reorganised to be a "subscription" rather than a software company way back in 2017.

AutoATC Developer