Sign in to follow this  
omarsmak30

FPS Expectations on i9-9900K and RTX 2080

Hello community, 

I know this topic has been discussed almost always and I am sorry to raise it. Actually I was wondering what would be expectations for fps that I could look for my rig. My PC specifications are: 

i9-9900K (overclocked to 5.0) with HT off

32GB RAM DDR4-3600 

MSI RTX 2080 

Kranken x72 water cooling

NVM.m2 512gb used for Windows 

3TB HDD used for p3d at the moment (planning to get SSDs sometimes early next year for P3D only)

I am running the following add-ones:

ORBX Global Base

ORBX Vector

ORBX openCL Europe 

ORBX Buildings HD

ORBX TreesHD

ORBX Germany Sound and North

Aerosoft Mega Airport Frankfurt 

Ultimate Live traffic (set to 40% Airline traffic)

ASCA and AS4

REX Environment Force

I am having the following settings on my P3D:

Display

- Resolution 2K

- Image and Texture quality: FXAA Off, AA 8xMSAA, Anisotropic 16x, High

World

- LOD: High

- Tessellation Factor: Ultra 

- Mesh res: 5m

- Texture Res: 15cm

- true

Scenery Objects:

- High

- Medium 

- Dense

- Dense

- Off 

Lightings:

- All shadows set to High

- Dynamic reflection set to Low

Traffic:

- Road traffic only set to 15%

However, when I use FsLabs 320 on AS EDDF, I barely get around 20fps, is this normal for these settings matching with my system and add-ones? If any hints where I could improve, would be highly appreciated! 

Also, I read somewhere, ORBX Vector could impact the performance, is this true? 

PS: I am using only 2K not 4K. 

Thank you, 

Omar

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

My first gut suspicion is that Orbx Germany is where your most significant performance hit lies.

First step in troubleshooting performance problems is to identify whether it's the CPU or GPU that's maxxed out.  What settings and software you'd then look at will depend on that.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I would also suggest you try and delete the cfg file so it can regenerate.  It’s very easy to get something in there that bugs your whole setup. Just remember your settings so you can put them back

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

@w6kd actually I noticed most times my CPU is maxxed out. My gut feelings tell me as well something to do with the orbx Germany as well. However, I was wondering if other folks here experiencing similar issues with similar setup to mine.

@micstatic I have no idea how many times I did that, besides deleting the shaders folder

Honestly I am kinda clueless here 🙄

What is your refresh rate?  What about settings for in sim FPS,VSYNC etc.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Sorry forgot to mention this. My refresh rate is 60hz. Before I was setting the frames to unlimited with vsync on. Now I am using RTSS to limit the frames externally to 30fps in combination with FPS dynamic which I have to say it did improve the performance to some extent. However, I am just wondering if this what my system is capable given the settings and the addones 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

These 3 will be hardest hitting on the FPS front.

Cheers, Rob.

Pretty sad. Actually these 3 give the best I have ever seen in terms in the graphics and it will be hard to give them up for performance :(. At the end of the day, you can not have the full pie for yourself 

Thanks Rob for the info. Sure, at least this gives me some direction about it. I will try to disable them one by one and see how much improvements they make. Perhaps I can find a good compromise 

By reading this thread here (in German) https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/180969-performance-zwischen-genges-und-openlc-europe/?tab=comments#comment-1575245, as Rob mentioned before, Germany south and north seem to be hungry for fps. I will give a test tomorrow and see what I can make out of this. 

1 hour ago, omarsmak30 said:

Thanks Rob for the info. Sure, at least this gives me some direction about it. I will try to disable them one by one and see how much improvements they make. Perhaps I can find a good compromise 

Also, you can configure Orbx Vector to not show certain features, which can free up cpu cycles.

Open the Vector config program and experiment.  I'm not at my sim rig right now, but I'm pretty sure I've disabled railroads, tertiary roads, and power lines.  It's a give-and-take for sure.  Outside of Germany North and South, you might be able to run vector with everything enabled.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

12 hours ago, omarsmak30 said:

i9-9900K (overclocked to 5.0) with HT off

Slightly off-topic, but can you explain me why you spend quiet a significant amount of money more to have the i9 instead of the i7 but then turning HT off? I don't get it...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

Slightly off-topic, but can you explain me why you spend quiet a significant amount of money more to have the i9 instead of the i7 but then turning HT off? I don't get it...

I was just experimenting HT off vs on. As I don't see much difference between both, the only difference that I spotted my CPU runs in a cooler temperature. Anyway I will enable it back soon as I will need it for my other applications 

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

The 9900K also has 16MB of CPU Cache as opposed to 12MB with the i7, which helps with P3D.

14 minutes ago, caveney747 said:

The 9900K also has 16MB of CPU Cache as opposed to 12MB with the i7, which helps with P3D.

Also the main 8 cores of the 9900 is more than sufficient. Having HT on generates more heat and usually means you can't overclock on all cores. With HT off you can relatively easily reach 5.0 Hz on all 8 cores.

BTW, with RTSS limiting the frame rate I've always found that core 0 (or the first core used by P3D) does tend to lock at 100% usage even when it isn't doing a lot.

Pete

• Like 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen