Sign in to follow this  
NavyAce

FSX Fatal Error Loading and Throttle Problem

I currently have FSX installed on my Win 7 and Win 10 (Cyberpower gaming) desk top computers, with SP 1 installed. The former has been installed with numerous aircraft and scenery addons and working properly for many years, although I have not played with it for a year or more as I have become involved in combat flight sims. I recently decided to see if they were still playing okay after the long dormant period. I started the game using my desktop icon and it appeared to be loading normally, first going to the FSX splash screen but after a minute or two I got two error messages concerning third party addons (FSUIP DLL and Active Sky Next) both of which had been working the last time I played the game. I clicked No to the option to run the programs as this was not recommended. I then progressed on for a minute or two then got a Fatal Error message and the loading stopped and I had to exit. I tried this two or three times with the same result. I finally gave up and exited the game. I tried again the next day and after one or two tries I got to the setup page and tried a free flight scenario, using my standard setup of Thrustmaster T.16000M joystick, Saitek rudder pedals and Saitek throttle quadrant. The only change was that sometime over the past year the throttle slider on my joystick had broken off so I was now using the throttle lever on my throttle quadrant for power changes, and had changed the axis in the Settings/Controls section to reflect this. When I first tried FSX on my Win 7 desktop, where it had worked perfectly before, I now found that, after selecting my F6F5 Hellcat (a Vertigo add on from years ago), when the screen finished loading (I left the default Friday's Harbor location in as I wanted an air start) I saw that the extended landing gear (the default screen loading) was cycling up and down in a stuttering motion between partially raised and partially extended. No amount of toggling with the G key produced a fully up or down position. When going into the VC I noticed that the landing gear handle was moving up and down by itself and would not reset. Trying to drag it manually up or down with the mouse produced no result. I tried selecting other planes, including those from different third party addons and at least one from the default library, but they all now have this problem, where before it did not exist. I then noticed that when I tried to fly the plane in spite of the cycling gear, the throttle handle on my quadrant, which had worked fine before in Il-46 and still does, would now, in the fully forward and aft positions, not actually produce full or idle power, but instead only about 76%-27%. The same with other aircraft. I next tried FSX on my Win 10 Cyberpower gaming desk top, using the same aircraft.  I found that now the gear will retract and extend normally, but I still have the problem with the throttle. I can drag the throttle to full or idle power with the mouse or by using the f4 and f1 keys after using the throttle lever, but this is not intuitive and does not allow for incremental increases/decreases especially if the throttle has been cut on approach but only a little power is needed. I exited again and tried to load th game the next day and this time could not get in. I tried uninstalling the two programs which were producing the original error messages and when I had done this I no longer saw them when loading the game but I continue to get the Fatal Error Messages. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks for all who reply.

NavyAce

Try looking in your computer's Events Log to see any errors for FSX and look for a "Faulting Module".  Then look at the AVSIM CTD Guide for further assistance in troubleshooting.  Look at the right side of this page under Hot Spots for the guide.

Welcome to the AVSIM forums! :happy:

This topic may be moved to the Crash to Desktop forum for further assistance.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hi charliearon,

%hanks for the quick reply. You say to look for "any errors for FSX and look for a "Faulting Module." Where do I go to look for FSX errors and the Faulting Mode? Is this anything like the log.txt in Il-46? I tried a similar pathway by looking in the FSX folder under Program Files x86 in Microsoft Games but couldn't find a Faulting Module folder anywhere or anything resembling a log file. I also clicked on the AVSIM CTD Guide but this took me to a link to print out the entire folder, but this was currently broken and under repair according to the  header. Do you have any other ideas you could pass along via a post or message?

Thanks.

ON your computer, not FSX, Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Events Viewer.

Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Event Viewer, select Custom Views-> Administrative Events.
One of the listed events will be for your CTD. The "Faulting Module" should point to the problem area.

Tell us what the Faulting Module is! That will point us in the direction of the proper error, aiding in troubleshooting.

BELOW IS A SAMPLE OF WHAT YOU MIGHT SEE!

General Tab:
Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: This is what we need to Know!
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000ee3a
Faulting process id: 0x748
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce0253dc4b69d4
Faulting application path: R:\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: R:\FSX\window.dll
Report Id: 9caf77b4-6e50-11e2-8570-3085a99825d1

If there is not one listed:
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000,
you will need to do as previously noted

No Faulting Module? ->
Remove all of the add-ons, and test the sim. If it works OK, then reinstall them one at a time and test.
Be sure to test each thoroughly before moving on to the next

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks again Charlie Aron,

I was able to navigate to the Administrative Events but under that could find no mention of Fault Module or CTD under the Action header. I did find a long list of Warnings and Errors from several years. The latest ones that concerned my problem were the following:

Warnings: Event 1014, DNS, Events. Name resolution for the client isatrap.lan timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Errors: Event 1002, Application Hang. The program IEXPLORE.EXE version 11.0.9600.19572 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed.

I hope this helps.

NavyAce

You will probably notice that I moved this topic into the "Crash to Desktop" forum.  A better chance that more knowledgeable folks will be able to help out.

The 2 errors that you pointed out are computer errors and nothing to do with FSX.

Charlie Aron

Evidently my problem is related to an Event 1002 Application Hang. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot and fix this? I am looking online but so far have not found anything definitive. Thanks. I may also put this in a post with a new title so others may look in with suggestions.

NavyAce

On 12/18/2019 at 3:36 PM, NavyAce said:

The former has been installed with numerous aircraft and scenery addons and working properly for many years, although I have not played with it for a year or more as I have become involved in combat flight sims. I recently decided to see if they were still playing okay after the long dormant period. I started the game using my desktop icon and it appeared to be loading normally, first going to the FSX splash screen but after a minute or two I got two error messages concerning third party addons (FSUIP DLL and Active Sky Next) both of which had been working the last time I played the game.

Let me get this straight...  You use to have FSX working great but decided to stop using it and instead decided to use your combat flight sims instead.  After a year of not using FSX, many programs are usually updated.  The two that update the most is FSUIPC and ActiveSkyNext.  Your sim will crash if they are not up-to-date.  So, open up ActiveSkyNext.  When you open that program up, it will show you the latest version in the upper left corner.  In the lower right corner, it will show you if there was an update.  If there was you need to update. 

For FSUIPC, go to this link and download the latest version for FSX - http://home2.btconnect.com/petedowson/.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, NavyAce said:

Warnings: Event 1014, DNS, Events. Name resolution for the client isatrap.lan timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

I would be especially suspicious of this - if you're getting DNS timeouts then all sorts of network-dependent stuff will not work, but not before long waits and timeouts if not coded correctly.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Dear Jim,

Thanks for your reply and the good information. I had previously deleted FSUIPC from my desk top Windows 7 computer where I am having the trouble, but today I downloaded and installed the latest update for Active Sky Next (Update 5+New Hotkey). The install seemed to go okay and I shut down the game and computer and rebooted as instructed. However, when I launched the game, although it took the update (showing me the pathway for the install and requesting permission), I eventually got another Fatal Error message. I went back to the Events Viewer and saw that now I was getting an Event 1000: Application Error. Here is what was listed in the Faulting Module.

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: A2A_Feel.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x50dc6814
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00028d47
Faulting process id: 0x1bc0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5b8ea2765d07e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\A2A_Feel.dll
Report Id: db22984f-24de-11ea-87df-d0df9ade4ac1

I do have several A2A products on this computer, all of which worked fine the last time the game launched successfully. One of the programs was called AccuFeel. Is this possibly something else that needs an update?

Thanks so much for your kind attention. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

NavyAce

It is strange the A2A_Feel.dll might be the cause.  Perhaps that program needs to be updated too?  I know, if I leave flight simming for a month or two, I get all kinds of errors. 

A2A Simulations recommends you start FSX as an Admin (right click the icon and select, run as Administrator).  The program called AccuFeel should have been installed as Administrator too but you had it running before.

A2A Simulations recommends you download and install DX9 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=35.  This hurts nothing to do and will not harm your install of DX10.  It may tell you the program is up to date and nothing needs to be installed.

If this does not work, look in the dll.xml file (located in the same directory as FSX.cfg).  Open the dll.xml using Notepad (usually it will open just be double-clicking).  Look for any AccuFeel module entry.  Once found, change the following line as follows:  <Disabled>False</Disabled> .  Change to  <Disabled>TRUE</Disabled>.  Save the dll.xml and restart FSX.  AccuFeel should not load.  You are only investigating to see if this is the culprit.  If it stops the crashes, then you need to go to A2A and make sure you have the latest product.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the quick response. I can't find the dll.xml file anywhere. I tried looking at the bottom of the root folder inside the C drive and also in the FSX folder with no results. I also tried using the search box and while I got some hits they were all for things like dll...gauges.xml" or something similar. Nothing just dll.xml. I also tried to find FSX.config but no luck either in my own search or with the search box. I was thinking though if we are just trying to test AccFeel to see if it is the problem I could just uninstall it for a test launch. I could always reinstall it later. What do you think?

I also tried starting the game as an administrator (my properties tab show I am so listed) but I get the same error.

Thanks for being so patient.

Wayne

It is in the same folder as the fsx.cfg.  This is a hidden folder.  Page 6 provides info on showing hidden folders:

Hidden System Folders-Some actions below require opening/moving hidden files located in hidden system folders. Not to worry, this is not all that complicated. To learn how to show hidden files in your operating system, go to your Windows Search feature and type in Show Hidden Files, then look up in the menu and click on Show Hidden Files and Folders(this works with all Operating Systems).

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi again Jim,

I think I'm almost there. When I follow your directions I get to my Folder Options screen and under the Viewing tab I see that the Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives option has a radio dot in the circle indicating this has already been selected. But this still doesn't take me to the actual folder, it just says that it should be possible. Am I doing something wrong or just missing part of your instructions? I know the file has to be somewhere but I just can't seem to get to it. Thanks for sticking with me.

Wayne

A dll.xml file is not automatic with FSX (for P3D, a dll.xml file is created with the default install).  So, if you have no modules like, FSUIPC, FS DreamTeam, ActiveSkyNext, etc., you won't have a  dll.xml created.  The developer of the product will create a dll.xml file if they want a module to load at startup.  Again, it is located in the same folder as the FSX.cfg. The AVSIM CTD Guide, provides the exact location.  I do not own any AccuFeel or A2A products so do not know if they create an entry for their modules.  They don't have to.  I mostly on a guessing game as I know you need help but I may be causing more issues than needed (and you don't need more issues; you have enough!).

Submit News to AVSIM