Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Front Panel Connectors on Asus Maximus IX Hero

I am preparing to attach the front panel connectors to the Asus Maximus IX Hero motherboard, but the manual is not absolutely clear regarding the +/- orientation of the pins. I think that the "+" connections are on the left (based on looking down at the motherboard with the front panel connectors to the lower right). Unfortunately I do not seem to have the adaptor that Asus apparently provide with the motherboard, so I am having to connect them separately (with the lower right pin not connected). Can someone please confirm if this is correct?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

19 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I am preparing to attach the front panel connectors to the Asus Maximus IX Hero motherboard, but the manual is not absolutely clear regarding the +/- orientation of the pins. I think that the "+" connections are on the left (based on looking down at the motherboard with the front panel connectors to the lower right). Unfortunately I do not seem to have the adaptor that Asus apparently provide with the motherboard, so I am having to connect them separately (with the lower right pin not connected). Can someone please confirm if this is correct?

dont remember , the + - is for the leds hdd and power , the only thing that happens is that they not light if you get them wrong , you dont hurt anyting if i get wrong, only swap polarity and all is ok.

• Upvote 1

@Christopher

Having just installed mine today after receiving a drive bay cradle for my Akasa card reader, in my Asus ROG Maimus XI Hero, perhaps I can help you out.

Imagine you are looking at the base, i.e. underside of your case, with it laid flat on its side. The front I/O connectors lettering should then be facing you.

Let me know how you get on

I assume you mean if I am looking down at the motherboard with the case lying flat on its side, and that the ID lettering (HDD LED etc) should be visible on the connectors?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I will double check that tomorrow as I am building the new rig elsewhere, re:HDD,LED, etc, etc I thought you were referring to the front panel I/O for the audio, USB, etc. If you can wait till 9:30am-ish when I will be back in my 'other' place, then I will immediately update you here.

I have just realised that I am actually a lot closer to completing this PC build than I thought. As far as I can see, I have the following tasks left.....

• Fixing the front panel connectors to the motherboard
  • Connecting the case fans to the motherboard and PSU
  • Installing the GTX 980Ti GPU, and connecting it to the PSU
  • Installing the hard disk drives, and connecting them to the PSU and SATA ports
  • Tidy up the cables

The reason that I am leaving installation of the hard disk drives until last is because I will be using the 2TB drives that are in my existing PC. These will be formatted first, and then installed in the new PC, ready for a fresh installation of Windows 10 Home Edition 64bit. Of course, I will be double (and triple) checking all connections first before I press the power button!!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Good Morning Christopher.

As promised, just re-checked the case  Power, Reset, HDD LED, etc,etc front of case connectors. The go with the legends(lettering)I facing away from you as you look towards the bottom plate of your case, i.e. the bottom end of the case as all Asus motherboards I know of, have those pins towards the bottom of the motherboard, which then in turn means towards the base plate, i.e. the end that stands on your desk, PC cabinet, etc,etc.

Good Luck with the build.

For future reference... if you look closely at the cable connector there is a small black triangle that indicates the + conductor.

There's an indication on the board itself for the pins, but so small its impossible to read, so look at the diagram in your MB manual. 

P.S. Just built a PC for a friend, and guess what, I found the same. Asus failed to include the "Q Connector" for the front panel connectors. Not sure if they are not supplying them anymore or if an error. 

I found a YouTube video that showed how to connect these leads....and I had put them in back to front! That has now been corrected, and I expect that "first light" for the new PC will be on Christmas Day. I don't mind admitting that I am a bit paranoid about switching it on!! :unsure:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guess what, I've done it myself many times. So easy to get the pesky things wrong way around. Asus Q Connector helps, but board manufacturers certainly should come up with a better method. Case manufactures too. 

Its always a bit scary first boot. Don't worry, hit that button. 😁 Lots of people here to support you if any issues. 

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Guess what, I've done it myself many times. So easy to get the pesky things wrong way around. Asus Q Connector helps, but board manufacturers certainly should come up with a better method. Case manufactures too. 

Its always a bit scary first boot. Don't worry, hit that button. 😁 Lots of people here to support you if any issues. 

I always setup Mobo cpu gpu and install win on a open testbench or on the Mobo box , on Mobos that have no startbutton i use a srewdriver to short the start pins, worked for a decade.

Chris we support you if you get some issiues.

19 hours ago, westman said:

I always setup Mobo cpu gpu and install win on a open testbench or on the Mobo box 

I do that occasionally, usually I cant be bothered though. 😁

The good news.....

• First Light for the new PC was yesterday afternoon, and everything seems to be in working order
  • The lighting on the RAM and motherboard looks cool!

The bad news.....

• My purchased DVD copy of Windows 10 Home Edition 64bit appears to be defective :sad: I tested my existing Windows 7 DVD in the drive to confirm that the source of the problem is the Windows 10 DVD itself.

I have contacted the seller, and they are sending a replacement out today by first class post.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

If you are interested in getting up and running sooner, see https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and use your serial number from the seller.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Sadly, I have already tried that option.....and I have been tearing my hair out all afternoon trying to get my new PC to boot up from the USB drive. It simply will not do it. I am starting to think that something else is not quite right, but I will have to wait and see if the replacement DVD works.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png