Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Front Panel Connectors on Asus Maximus IX Hero

5 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

The Q code displayed after the above is AE.

Just looked at your Motherboard manual, Christopher. That AE Q-code is telling you that an IDE device, i.e. a Hard Drive is not connected. Re-connect it and see if that AE Q-code goes away.

Yes, I disconnected the hard disk to test what would happen, but it has now been reconnected. The Q code is Ad after this, and the PC reboots before getting to the Windows 10 setup screen (or the IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL message is displayed, and then the PC is rebooted).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

Can be caused by damaged motherboard or a bad RAM module.

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

A message dating back to DOS messages that is still in the code these days. Could be a piece of hardware drivers missing.

Unplug your keyboard, mouse and with nothing connected as an input device, see if that IRQL message still flags up.

12 hours ago, vc10man said:

A message dating back to DOS messages that is still in the code these days. Could be a piece of hardware drivers missing.

Unplug your keyboard, mouse and with nothing connected as an input device, see if that IRQL message still flags up.

He doesn't have any drivers installed. He hasn't installed the OS yet. There is a limited amount of code in the BIOS itself to handle devices like keyboard and mouse. 

As I said... can be drivers yes if OS installed... but this error message can also be caused by hard drive or motherboard faults. Not sure if there's software within the mouse and keyboard that could cause this, fixed with those devices removed, but I doubt it.

If not RAM, my current opinion is that there is a hard drive or motherboard issue. I still think he should try to install the OS on a different drive, to eliminate the drive as one variable. fault finding is often trial and error, eliminating possibilities. 

With respect to RAM for testing purposes, I can get 8GB delivered on Friday this week from Amazon UK. Is it better to get 1x8GB stick or 2x4GB sticks, or does it not matter? The RAM that I have been looking at is compatible with the Asus Maximus IX Hero motherboard, and the price is £35 if I want it on Friday.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01ARHBBPS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

EDIT: I had another 2TB HDD from a previous PC build, so I installed it in my existing PC to see if it still worked. It did, so I performed a quick format to wipe the contents, and then transferred it across to my new PC. This was the only hard disk in the new PC when I booted again. The results were exactly the same, so I am reasonably confident that it is not a HDD issue

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

54 minutes ago, martin-w said:

He doesn't have any drivers installed. He hasn't installed the OS yet. There is a limited amount of code in the BIOS itself to handle devices like keyboard and mouse. 

As I said... can be drivers yes if OS installed... but this error message can also be caused by hard drive or motherboard faults. Not sure if there's software within the mouse and keyboard that could cause this, fixed with those devices removed, but I doubt it.

If not RAM, my current opinion is that there is a hard drive or motherboard issue. I still think he should try to install the OS on a different drive, to eliminate the drive as one variable. fault finding is often trial and error, eliminating possibilities. 

I'm not an expert in troubleshooting PC builds by any stretch, Is it worth taking out the CPU, checking for bent pins? Would the Q codes Chris is getting highlight a CPU problem if it existed?  Is there any kind of diagnostic tool available from Asus that might help? Could Chris do the same as suggested with the RAM and buy a new mobo, RMA it back if it doesn't make a difference??

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I thought you had the  Win installed , try to set the mems down to 2133 with xmp when install . 

you can install win with one stick preferd A2 (4 sticks high binned B-die that not run at +2.1v probaly not damaged 1 to 4 that its a good stick if one is bad)

the usb with win10 can it be some corupted files, longshot 

The USB stick boots to the Windows 10 setup screen just fine in my existing PC, and two separate Windows 10 DVDs have the same problem in the new PC as the USB drive. That being the case, I do not believe that the USB drive is the issue.

I have actually tested all four RAM sticks separately in all four RAM slots (sixteen separate tests) @ 2133 Mhz, and all of them failed to boot to the Windows 10 setup screen.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I would say it's either ram or motherboard. Get that stick of ram to test it, if it's still the same it's definitely the motherboard 

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Would you suggest the 1x8GB stick, or the 2x4GB sticks? Could it not also be the CPU?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 minute ago, Christopher Low said:

Would you suggest the 1x8GB stick, or the 2x4GB sticks?

I don't suppose it matters that much, because if it's the ram you'll be sending it back for something else, or if it's the board, you'll be keeping the ram and sending this new stuff back. 

I'd probably get the 1x8gb, as you can test all the motherboard slots with it

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

2 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

I'm not an expert in troubleshooting PC builds by any stretch, Is it worth taking out the CPU, checking for bent pins? Would the Q codes Chris is getting highlight a CPU problem if it existed?  Is there any kind of diagnostic tool available from Asus that might help? Could Chris do the same as suggested with the RAM and buy a new mobo, RMA it back if it doesn't make a difference??

Yep. Bent pins are certainly something that can cause all manner of issues. Certainly worth checking. Usually it fails to boot, but I would imaging it would depend on which pin or pins are bent. As I say, certainly worth checking.

As for buying a new motherboard, no, not necessary. As I mentioned earlier in a previous reply, Asus are available for support. If Chris drops them an email they will help him troubleshoot and if they feel its appropriate get him to RMA the board.

1 hour ago, Charlatan said:

I would say it's either ram or motherboard. Get that stick of ram to test it, if it's still the same it's definitely the motherboard 

RAM was my first suggestion as I had a similar issue installing Windows some time ago, that turned out to be a RAM issue. He has tested the RAM though, so, as I mentioned earlier... hard drive or motherboard is my opinion. Chris seems to think not the drive. So if I were him I would drop Asus an email ASAP and tell them he thinks he may have a motherboard fault. They are usually very helpful. Asus wont hesitate to send out a new board if required.

Unless of course the RAM is totally incompatible and wont even run at the JADEC frequency.  

The manufacturers are there to help if required, we shouldn't  hesitate to use their support services.

Edited by martin-w

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

Would you suggest the 1x8GB stick, or the 2x4GB sticks? Could it not also be the CPU?

Bent pins as Kevin rightly suggested is a possibility. But faulty CPU is very unlikely. If you deduce it's not the RAM or HDD, then faulty motherboard. So well worth speaking to Asus via email. If they RMA you a new board and you still have issues, you have eliminated that variable. With these things that's often what it boils down to. Eliminating components by swapping them out.

If you want to test again by buying a stick of RAM, then I would go for TWO 4 gig sticks... but only test with ONE stick. tested in each slot. The reason I say that is that there's a small possibility a new single stick could be faulty from new. By buying TWO but testing with ONE, then the second stick separately, its very unlikely that you have been unlucky enough to buy two faulty new sticks. 

Edited by martin-w