Sign in to follow this  
Davidzehkop

Looking to upgrade performance with dynamic reflections

I have an outdated GPU (R9 390) and an ok processor (i5-7600k OC to 4.7 gHz) and I get poor frames when I have dynamic reflections on, even at low. When I turn them off, I have great frames, even with all the other settings turned up. 

I like having them on because it is nice eye candy, especially with tomatoshade and the new PBR textures in addons nowadays. I'm just wondering if an upgrade to GPU would improve my performance, or if it is something else that would improve it.

For further specs: I run my sim off a HDD and I have 16 GB of ram.

What resolution are you running at? P3D version?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

32 minutes ago, Davidzehkop said:

I have an outdated GPU (R9 390) and an ok processor (i5-7600k OC to 4.7 gHz) and I get poor frames when I have dynamic reflections on, even at low. When I turn them off, I have great frames, even with all the other settings turned up. 

I like having them on because it is nice eye candy, especially with tomatoshade and the new PBR textures in addons nowadays. I'm just wondering if an upgrade to GPU would improve my performance, or if it is something else that would improve it.

For further specs: I run my sim off a HDD and I have 16 GB of ram.

Pretty simple.  Buy the best GPU you can afford.

• Like 2

Matt Wilson

1 hour ago, Davidzehkop said:

I'm just wondering if an upgrade to GPU would improve my performance, or if it is something else that would improve it.

Yes, it would. All lighting effects and dynamic reflections lean on GPU, so upgrading would definitely help. As stated by @mpw8679, go with the best you can afford. But leave just a little bit in the budget and use it to get rid of that spinning drive of yours. 

Don't forget that the new line of nvidia's come out next year.  So you will probably be able to get a 1080ti used for much cheaper

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of going with a 1660ti because its not to expensive and I'll have much better performance than I have now. As for the HDD, I gotta stick with it because I have a 2TB HDD for X-Plane 11 and P3D, so not much in the budget for a 2TB SSD

Of note is that P3D can very easily out run a GPU, maxing it to 100% and resulting in stutters.

In that respect P3D is completely the opposite to FSX which barely touches the GPU.

At least with the Ti you can overclock it.

The 1660Ti is about the equivent of a 1070Ti, although the 1660Ti is slightly better at performance but does have 2 GB less memory.

That said my 1070 Ti rarely goes above 5 GB with P3D v4.5.13 so you should be fine.

Take a look at a few of my vids, they are all taken with the 1070Ti @ 30Hz and you should be able to achieve similar.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUG1HQzuefdKPC0Wg2t5Bxg/videos

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D