Sign in to follow this  
wrap23

More memory for 2080RTX cards?

Why won’t Nvidia put more memory on their 2080 cards? It appears flight simulation is more in need of graphics memory than graphics processing power. I don’t need the processing power of a Titan RTX but I could use it’s memory! Give me a 16 or 24 gig option on a 2080ti. Though TombRaider and the like may do fine with 6,8,11 gigs, flight simulation needs more as many of us have witnessed and Rob has demonstrated. Nvidea needs to start taking flight simming seriously!

Don Spence

ASUS Prime Z390-A, i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz, EVGA 1080 Ti SC2, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum cooler, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2TB, 2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD, CORSAIR RMX White RM850X  PSU, CORSAIR Crystal Series 680X RGB Case, Dell U3818DW

Thanks Rob,

I remember  my old soundblaster card from the 90s(?) It had memory slots so you could add more memory if needed. Back then that was more for people using the card for midi purposes and I believe it allowed the storage of more music samples.

Very disappointing that the 2080ti has the slots but the option to fill them doesn’t exist! Sounds like the days when Intel disabled their math coprocessors to make a DX chip an SX chip. It is all about the money isn’t it!

I’ll just keep hoping.

Don

Don Spence

ASUS Prime Z390-A, i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz, EVGA 1080 Ti SC2, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum cooler, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2TB, 2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD, CORSAIR RMX White RM850X  PSU, CORSAIR Crystal Series 680X RGB Case, Dell U3818DW

Anyone up to testing a Radeon vii? Equivalent to the 2080, bit faster when undervolted, and it has 16Gb of very fast HBM2 memory with a helluva lot of bandwidth. 

What aspect of flight simulation is hungry for VRAM? Is it the high resolution settings that you guys use? Dynamic lighting? Complex shadows? Reflections? LOD Radius? I am genuinely curious, since I have been running P3Dv4 with only 2GB VRAM, and I would like to know what options I have with the 6GB GTX 980Ti that is installed in my soon to be powered up new PC build! My screen resolution will renain @ 1920x1080.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Look here about a RTX3080Ti rumour.

Quoted from the site:

The new Ampere-based GeForce RTX 3000 series cards will reportedly offer more VRAM on all cards, so we could see

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - 12GB

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 - 12GB

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti - 16GB

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/68455/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-more-vram-way-faster-cheaper/index.html

Mike

I have yet to see it use the full GPU memory without the CPU holding it back. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Supply and demand.  If the demand remains strong in the presence of stratospheric prices, don't expect prices to come down to earth.  I think cryptocurrency mining is still a driving force in the video card markets.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

This may keep prices high and even push them up.

ttps://www.guru3d.com/news-story/graphics-cards-could-become-even-more-expensive-in-2020.html

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg