Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

It is called Microsoft Flight Simulator or MSFS

Microsoft and Asobo themselves call the product we all look forward to so much "Microsoft Flight Simulator" and use the abbreviation "MSFS", as can be seen in their latest Development Update:

December 19th, 2019 – Development Update

POSTED BY: MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR TEAM

On behalf of the entire MSFS team, we wish you and your loved ones the very best this holiday season. As we bring 2019 to a close, we are incredibly grateful for everyone that has joined us on this adventure of developing the next generation of Microsoft Flight Simulator! We’ve taken some memorable steps with you in 2019, and we cannot wait to continue this adventure with you in 2020.

So why are people making up their own names for it? I've seen things like MSFS2020, MFS20 and even FS2020 or FS20, the latter standing for Farming Simulator 20.

There is no need to put "20" or "2020" in the name because nobody uses the name "MSFS" when talking about the legacy products FSX or older.

And it makes no sense because the developers already stated that this sim is an at least 10-years-project so it will still be the current sim in 2025 and later.

And what to do if the release will for whatever reason be delayed to 2021? Give it a new name?

Let's call it by the name the developers chose for it. The developers and the product have deserved it.

Happy XMS2019 everyone!  😊

• Like 1

It's fun to call it MSFS2020 when you see how big of a deal it is to some people. 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

A French poet once said Qu'importe le flacon pourvu qu'on ait l'ivresse  (the bottle does not matter as much as the inebriation) .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

15 minutes ago, domkle said:

A French poet once said Qu'importe le flacon pourvu qu'on ait l'ivresse  (the bottle does not matter as much as the inebriation) .

Unless the bottle contains something completely different. "Water? I said that I was -thirsty-, not -dirty-".

"FS20" is the next installment of the Farming Simulator

"FS2020" is the upcoming version of IPACS Aerofly series for mobile devices.

Best regards

• Like 3

LORBY-SI

Languages evolve and generally there's no point telling people what to call something like the new simulator when it looks like everyone has already made their minds up.

I actually already made a post about this:

But even I will continue to call it FS2020 - why? It's not because I'm doing the developers or the product a disservice...it's just easier to call it FS2020 because then everyone knows what you are talking about.

• Upvote 1

What is this obsession over the naming about? I don’t understand the need for people to constantly debate it, what’s the significance that I’m missing? This forum must be getting thin on the ground for interesting subject matter jeez.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I fully agree with the OP, it just seems oddly pedantic of people to affix "2020" to the title. What is these people's plans for calling it once Microsoft inevitably releases a new update in 2021 (given their stated 10 year commitment) - do you keep calling it "MSFS2020" or will you all change your language and call it "MSFS2021", "MSFS2022" etc?

14 minutes ago, elmar01 said:

I fully agree with the OP, it just seems oddly pedantic of people to affix "2020" to the title. What is these people's plans for calling it once Microsoft inevitably releases a new update in 2021 (given their stated 10 year commitment) - do you keep calling it "MSFS2020" or will you all change your language and call it "MSFS2021", "MSFS2022" etc?

People call it FS2020 to differentiate it from the current MSFS lineup of FSX and P3D. I'd imagine once FS2020 is released and becomes the mainstream flight sim people will just start calling it "MSFS".

• Upvote 1

Give the name a year. For those people that just know Microsoft Flight Simulator of the past, they may just recollect FSX or even FS9. Maybe they dont know there is a brand new sim coming. Adding 2020 makes it easy.  

I dont see the big deal at all whatever you call it. But if you really want to get picky..... Why does Micro-soft get 2 letter MS abbreviation as if for 2 syllables yet only one S for Simu lator which is also 2 syllables. (or maybe its 3)   Been a long time since I took an English class.  

But really.. Does it matter?

• Like 1

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

15 minutes ago, highflyer2020 said:

People call it FS2020 to differentiate it from the current MSFS lineup of FSX and P3D. I'd imagine once FS2020 is released and becomes the mainstream flight sim people will just start calling it "MSFS".

But we call FSX "FSX" and P3D "P3D", so how would "MSFS" ever be confused for either of those two?

Why is it so difficult to just call it what it is?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, elmar01 said:

I fully agree with the OP, it just seems oddly pedantic of people to affix "2020" to the title.  

The Merriam Webster defines pedantic as

2: narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned

and gives two examples

a pedantic insistence that we follow the rules exactly

Far worse, he was pedantic, pernickety, letting nothing inaccurate or of uncertain meaning go by—not an aphrodisiac quality.— Kingsley Amis

Who is pedantic :laugh: ? 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Asabo, MS Please give this sim a name.

I can sit here the whole day listening to this argument, but maybe it will do good to call this sim by its name under witch it will be known to the public it by name

I am sure there are many names they can choose from, even if it is only looking at the suggestions

Well, you know best

21 minutes ago, domkle said:

The Merriam Webster defines pedantic as

2: narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned

and gives two examples

a pedantic insistence that we follow the rules exactly

Far worse, he was pedantic, pernickety, letting nothing inaccurate or of uncertain meaning go by—not an aphrodisiac quality.— Kingsley Amis

Who is pedantic :laugh: ? 

Read your own post again and then answer that question...      😏

But I have to admit, I tend to be pedantic too... 😊