Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

It is called Microsoft Flight Simulator or MSFS

4 hours ago, ILSFREAK said:

Asabo, MS Please give this sim a name.

They did. Read the first post in the thread. I have never read a post or heard a video clip where someone from MS or ASOBO used the words "20" or "2020" or Twenty-Twenty."

It's still a fascinating psycho-sociological experiment to see how many people prefer using the numbers. Maybe something about how our brains are wired. Some of us, anyway. 😉

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Let's call it "Late for Dinner" since it should have been done several years ago!:laugh:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

8 hours ago, domkle said:

A French poet once said Qu'importe le flacon pourvu qu'on ait l'ivresse  (the bottle does not matter as much as the inebriation) .

You deserve a bottle of something very old for this post.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, siggy said:

All previous versions, as far as I remember, had the title "Microsoft Flightsimulator", but all had a suffix like e.g. "98, 2000, 2002, 2004 or "A Century of Flight" etc. to distinguish the versions, so why not for this new one.

I cannot remember any complaint when we called "Microsoft Flightsimulator X" just "FSX".

Because "X" was in the name, so "FSX" made sense.

This simulator is different from the others. It is revolutionary, not evolutionary. It is not simply the next in an unending series. It's one for the ages. A reboot of the entire franchise. It's not a 2020 version of anything that came before it.

It is the flagship; it is simply Microsoft Flight Simulator. MSFS.

There's nothing pedantic about that. At least no more pedantic than asking people you meet to call you Mike instead of Miguel. 

• Like 1

Every version of Microsoft Flight Simulator was called Microsoft Flight Simulator and they where all differentiated by a numerical suffix. The Abbreviation FS has always been understood in flight sim  circles to mean Flight Simulator likewise with MSFS is Microsoft Flight Simulator. Each version of MSFS has been an Evolution of the previous version. In keeping with latest evolution of the naming convention using Roman numerals I propose that we call it FSXX. It seems to me that FSMMXX is redundant since we tacitly know by the previous version number that its the 20th century. However it will be appropriate to call the version released in 2120 FSMMCXX but since the develop cycle is 10 years by then we may validly call it FSX again.

18 minutes ago, Noodle said:

Because "X" was in the name, so "FSX" made sense.

Also, the executable was called fsx.exe ... 

I seriously doubt, that the new sim will be abbreviated FS2020, MSFS2020 or MFS2020. I think it will simply be abbreviated MFS.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Only this community would decide that Microsoft's name is incorrect. Never have I seen another game get a fictional name. 🤣

• Like 1

Brandon Filer

The Internet has spoken. FS2020 is the de-facto abbreviation, whatever MS, Asobo or some Avsim users decide:

1PWhopB.png

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

This thread is a futile protest against basic human tendencies regarding acronyms and hypocorisms of living and nonliving things.

Good luck with that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, Avidean said:

Each version of MSFS has been an Evolution of the previous version.

It's only an evolution in the general sense that every sim stands on the shoulders of what has gone before. However, using the next version or date number would minimize how different this one is from the last several iterations. And I'm not just talking scenery.

You give the franchise to a different studio -- ASOBO vs. ACES -- and you're going to get a very different sim. They want to call it Microsoft Flight Simulator and they're abbreviating it MSFS. That's fine by me. Nobody is going to confuse this with earlier titles of the same name.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

It's simply Microsoft Flight Simulator... We can call it MSFS for short. This is how Microsoft and Asobo seem to refer to it

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Paraffin said:

It's only an evolution in the general sense that every sim stands on the shoulders of what has gone before. However, using the next version or date number would minimize how different this one is from the last several iterations. And I'm not just talking scenery.

You give the franchise to a different studio -- ASOBO vs. ACES -- and you're going to get a very different sim. They want to call it Microsoft Flight Simulator and they're abbreviating it MSFS. That's fine by me. Nobody is going to confuse this with earlier titles of the same name.

I can't believe anyone actually took my post above seriously. I hate that Word not allowed function. If it wasn't for that I'd tell you all what I really think of this discussion! 😝

I'm jealous of OP that he had the time to both think about and post the question.

• Like 1

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

If you think FS2020 is bad then you should hear some of the names I called it, and them, when I didn't receive a Tech Alpha 1 invite.

• Like 3