Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

World Tour - utilising Google Earth to store route

I've decided to fly around the world in a PMDG737-800. Currently on my second leg from Keflavik to Gander. I started at London Heathrow. I use EFB to store distances, fuel used etc but would like to utilise Google Earth Pro (freeware) to record the route taken.

I use it to store my payware airports but those are just static positions. What I would like is to draw a line connecting each airport used. Is it possible and if so how can it be done?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

I use the "Add Placemark" to place a marker at my payware airports so I can open up Google Earth and decide where to fly. You could do the same for the airports you visit then use "Add Path" to draw lines connecting those airports.

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

Thanks Bill. I have already added my purchased airports but I will be landing at some default ones for practical purposes.

Ill try the Add Path option, thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Are you using real world routes using FlightAware/SkyVector?  FlightAware will show you the real world flightplans and, when you click on the one you want, it will send the plan over to SkyVector.  SkyVector will show the route you took for each leg.

Shouldn't you be wrapping Christmas presents?

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

I'm using PFPX. I'm not so much interested in the exact routing - a GCR line between the two airports would suffice. I tried adding a path between the airports using GE but that is as accurate as a shaky hand. 😁  I just want a visual line representing the airports visited. Just landed in Boston after an early departure from Gander.

I'm investigating an alternative method mentioned in a PM. No presents to wrap. :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've now achieved my goal of plotting the route of my world tour using Google Earth. @bill10 gave me the way to do it but after investigating I couldn't work out how to achieve it.

But today the penny has dropped. You use the Ruler tool to draw a line between departure and destination airports. This is the only way of getting a straight line. Having done that use the Save option to name the route. I use the ICAO of both airports. You can then create a new folder under My Places and save each route section there.

I'm currently upside-down in Australia but fortunately the worst part of the tour is over. Navigating across the Pacific wasn't much fun especially in a 737-800. I should be completing the tour in the coming weeks.

So far I've flown 33 legs with a total distance of 27,277nm, 70h 57m flying time and 343,756lbs of fuel. Quite a bill! 😁

Here's a snapshot of what the routing looks like.

WorldTour_2.jpg?dl=0

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

There's a freeware tool called FS9 Data Utility in the file libraries that will log you position every [specified number of seconds] to a .txt file through FSUIPC. It comes with a .kml template that you can paste the coordinates into from the txt file. I use it to log all my flights (when I remember to start it first) and then I add another <LineString> section to a master .kml and paste the coords from the log.txt. This keeps a running log of all my flights and I can open that in either GE or Little NavMap to see the mess I've made.

I thought this one was pretty cool, a huge DME arc arrival into KEGE:

kege-arrival-arc.jpg

...they look like this in GE:

kege-arrival-arc-ge.jpg

Edited by Jim Robinson
add link
  • Like 1

Thanks Jim. That looks a nice utility. Too late for my current tour but when I try the same with Concorde I'll try it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I've now achieved my goal of plotting the route of my world tour using Google Earth. @bill10 gave me the way to do it but after investigating I couldn't work out how to achieve it.

You shoulda hit me up Ray I would have been more than willing to help you out with the "ADD PATH" option. But you found a way to get it done, good job.

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

5 minutes ago, bill10 said:

You shoulda hit me up Ray I would have been more than willing to help you out with the "ADD PATH" option. But you found a way to get it done, good job.

Thanks Bill but it’s always a bit more rewarding when you find the solution yourself. But Jim’s suggestion looks the best of the lot.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather