Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

FTX Central 3 to Orbx Central

Hi,

I have still have FTX 3 installed, and I noticed one of my purchased products isn't installed (LDDU). I tried to install it via FTX Central, but it looks like it no longer works (downloads go directly to pause).

I know there were a lot of issues with the transition over to Orbx Central - I don't recall the details, because I didn't follow it closely. Does anyone have any instructions for switching over when you have a number of products already installed? Do I have to uninstall everything first?

Thanks. Happy Holidays.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

The new Orbx Central will not recognize one of my paid for and registered Alaska full fat regions, although FTX Central still does.  Since that particular receipt has gone missing it's doubtful Orbx will reinstall that full fat region for me, which is of course, understandable.

Nevertheless, I continue to keep FTX Central along with Orbx Central just for that Alaska full fat region.

FTX Central still correctly downloads the Alaska scenery for me, which is my point...(as of 2 weeks ago).

It's been pointed out to me (and I agree) that using bot FTX Central and Orbx Central can create issues.

I used to have FTX Central, but now all are in Orbx Central and none of the previous and very old Orbx purchases missing. IIRC there is a migration path that Orbx initiate to get FTX Central to Central

No missed add-ons here, but everytime I install, update or uninstall an ORBX airport or region, etc., it comes ORBX Central again, messing up the scenery layering order. Have to re-order using Lorby-SI Addon Organizer, thanks god we have it!.

This ORBX Central issue exists since its first version, and now, it's version 4.0.33 I believe, and the problems persist.

Cheers, Ed

• Upvote 4

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

So are the reports of people having their sim destroyed by Orbx Central overblown and likely due to user error? I recall a long thread here describing issue, but I can't find it now.

I'm being instructed in the Orbx forum to just install it and it will recognize everything. Based on that, my expectation is I just need to run the exe and everything will be set up perfectly. Right now the only things I keep in my scenery.cfg are Orbx products. Everything else is xml.

Just want to make sure I can spend my time off during the holidays flying rather than trying to fix a mess.

Thanks.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

1 minute ago, duckbilled said:

So are the reports of people having their sim destroyed by Orbx Central overblown and likely due to user error?

Is a ORBX Central design flaw, not related to any user error. It won't destroy your simulator though, you just only have to reorder several entries (some airports, the Vector and Meshes entries from ORBX) something that shouldn't be.

Cheers, Ed

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

5 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Is a ORBX Central design flaw, not related to any user error. It won't destroy your simulator though, you just only have to reorder several entries (some airports, the Vector and Meshes entries from ORBX) something that shouldn't be.

Cheers, Ed

Cool. Thanks.

No problems here with OC 4, but I admit that I kept the "scenery.cfg" layout and did not move to "add-on.xml" layout.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I just finished reinstalling all of my ORBX addons (5 regions, 36 airports, OLC and Vector, and of course BASE Pack with asundry other stuff they offer) for the second time in 3 months.  It's abundantly clear that, as Ed noted, ORBX Central will hose the scenery order when using LM's addon xml method of installing.  And like ED, almost all of my problems stem from OLC and Vector ordering.  Naturally, ORBX blames LM... but the truth of the matter is that installing so many sceneries using the addon xml method is loaded with issues.  FTX Central worked fine for us (P3d users) when coupled with installing their scenery in the sim.  ORBX Central works OK that way too... it's trying to install outside of the sim that brought me grief. :wacko:

Everything else added for my sim is installed using the add-on xml method or the tried and true "Add Scenery" solution we've been using for many years with P3D/FSX.  But not ORBX's scenery... not now.  I've given up and installed all their stuff into the sim.  Frustrating, really! :angry:

Greg

2 hours ago, duckbilled said:

So are the reports of people having their sim destroyed by Orbx Central overblown and likely due to user error? I recall a long thread here describing issue, but I can't find it now.

I'm being instructed in the Orbx forum to just install it and it will recognize everything. Based on that, my expectation is I just need to run the exe and everything will be set up perfectly. Right now the only things I keep in my scenery.cfg are Orbx products. Everything else is xml.

Just want to make sure I can spend my time off during the holidays flying rather than trying to fix a mess.

Thanks.

It's really not that hard.

Just back up your current p3d scenery.cfg.

Install OC. It's going to ask you to remove FTX 3. Click OK. Open ORBX Central then log into your account. Create a back up folder and an ORBX Library folder. Don't migrate anything. In the settings you can choose not to update any of your current ORBX add-ons. Choose legacy entry method and select insertion points.

Anytime you want to install anything you can choose add-on .xml or to install inside the sim (legacy method.)

The best way to learn OC is to install it and familiarize yourself with it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

27 minutes ago, DJJose said:

It's really not that hard.

Just back up your current p3d scenery.cfg.

Install OC. It's going to ask you to remove FTX 3. Click OK. Open ORBX Central then log into your account. Create a back up folder and an ORBX Library folder. Don't migrate anything. In the settings you can choose not to update any of your current ORBX add-ons. Choose legacy entry method and select insertion points.

Anytime you want to install anything you can choose add-on .xml or to install inside the sim (legacy method.)

The best way to learn OC is to install it and familiarize yourself with it.

Good advice!

Just went through the update process yesterday, although I choose to not uninstall FTX Central just yet (just in case there's a need for a rollback plan).

I find the new Orbx Central pretty good, lots of nice options, including the ability to install an item as the xml method (or not).

I have dummy markers in my scenery config file so I can easily keep Orbx inline with where I want it to go, otherwise it always defaults to the top of the list. The markers are just empty Scenery Folders named as "Addon Scenery Marker-xxx".

I also use SceneryConfigEditor to manage scenery, works very well and provides the ability to group items so you can enable/disable entire regions with just a click.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

This past week all of my Orbx buildings disappeared (tried re-installing Object Flow 2- no luck) - will open a forum ticket over on their site tomorrow but for now was wondering if "FTXAA_ORBXLIBS" should be at the very top of my scenery library?   It's #1 in the order list.

Mark Trainer

no issues  for  me  when I switched  over  to the  new  orbx  central

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

14 hours ago, mtrainer said:

This past week all of my Orbx buildings disappeared (tried re-installing Object Flow 2- no luck) - will open a forum ticket over on their site tomorrow but for now was wondering if "FTXAA_ORBXLIBS" should be at the very top of my scenery library?   It's #1 in the order list.

Mark Trainer

Are you referring to their addon "Buildings HD"?  Do you have all your scenery installed using LM's "addon.xml" method?

FTXAA_ORBXLIBS (ORBX's Libraries) should be below all other vendor's addon scenery you have installed.

Greg

• Like 1

No I don't have the add-on "Buildings HD".  And am not using the XML method someone complained about it being slower than the old method.  Something for sure came along and killed Orbx Object Flow 2 though - apparently I've ready it is responsible for static buildings at their airports as well as things that move.   One day it was working and one day it wasn't.   The only thing that I did was an update to PMDG NGXu, but it's hard to see how that could be related to ruining Object Flow 2.

Just the same, I realized I was spending more time this Christmas Vacation trying to fix this than I was flying so I uninstalled everything (even Prepar3D) and re-installed it.  It didn't take more than a few hours but I still have a ways to go, I've decided to only load the sceneries I need as I need them so there won't be a "big-bang" approach w/ ORBX.   They leave lots of files in many places...a through cleanup requires visiting many directories.

I'll likely load ORBX Libraries, Global, and NA Landclass and then try one of their airports that use and install object flow.   If it then works, I'll just start re-installing the airports as I decide to visit them one at a time.

One nice thing about the base Prepar3D....it runs FAST (great framerates!).

Thanks,

Mark

• Upvote 1