Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbolt44

Carenado EMB505 Phenom 300 Radar Altimeter?

I just reinstalled the Phenom 300 after a long break from it.  It is flying fine, especially with the F1GTN.  In searching around I'm led to believe there is a Radar Altimeter.  However, I have not been able to find it.  First ?  Is there a Radar Altimeter?  If there is, where is it?  If there isn't, is there away to install one?  Thanks, Mike Nicholson

Hi Bert,  I was just loading the aircraft, figuring I would check the PFD one more time, and looked at the the GTN MFD.  Daylight in the Swamps!  I just set the RA into one of the user fields and there I was.  I remember the first full scale with a RA.  It was as great as sliced bread.  I still think for scan, it should be in the PFD though.  Take care, Mike

Don't have the 300 installed but IRL the RA is a customer option.  If there is one, the altitude (< 2500ft) should be displayed either above the current heading or above the selected course box on the PFD.

Re setting one of the user fields on the GTN map page.. Yes, that is a good solution :wink:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

18 hours ago, Thunderbolt44 said:

Hi Bert,  ....  I still think for scan, it should be in the PFD though.  Take care, Mike

Guess what.. you set it in the PFD setup menu.

Look for TMR/REF at the bottom of the PFD..

Set the Minimums to RA and for good measure choose a value, like 300 feet.

Voila!  :smile:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

8 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Set the Minimums to RA and for good measure choose a value, like 300 feet.

I'd like to add that a DH is never higher than 200ft, mainly due to the terrain in front of the runway. For higher values you use DA, set with the pressure altimeter.

10 hours ago, FDEdev said:

I'd like to add that a DH is never higher than 200ft, mainly due to the terrain in front of the runway. For higher values you use DA, set with the pressure altimeter.

OK.. set DH to 200 feet.. but now the RA reading shows up on the PFD :smile:

Bert

I set my RA at the DA/H from the approach plate which is (correct me if I'm wrong) usually 200 agl (as stated before) for a "full" ILS approach. If only Loc is available it would be higher (500).

A 'normal' CAT I ILS approach is a precision approach and you usually use the pressure altimeter and hence DA, but you can use the RA and DH as well of course.

For CAT II & III a RA is required and you use DH.

A LOC approach is a non-precision approach with at least 250ft minimum (like a VOR/DME approach).

• Like 1