Sign in to follow this  
Randall

Xplane 11.50

Smooth as LIQUID butter. That's a new level.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

On 12/31/2019 at 8:14 AM, Colonel X said:

Smooth as LIQUID butter. That's a new level.

Been thinking about that since I first read it - I like hot peanut oil myself.

Not sure if you guys saw the thread in the "other" forum - Sid from Laminar posted a graph that showed his latest test of 11.50 vs 11.41.

I can´t attach the .png into this post due to the cumbersome forum picture policy of avsim... and I am not sure I am allowed to post a link here, either.

Very interesting, though, with gains of approximately 40% for a Geforce 2070 and even higher for a Radeon 5700.

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 2

Please post the link Jan, nobody will get hurt.

-

Vulkan performance comparison from that Xp.org thread:

eddl.PNG.eef40fe452f0befd168169381ca0ad6

(It's a bloody image, not a national defense plan.)

Edited by Bjoern
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Looks very good for AMD. The XT Version (5700XT) should overtake the 2070 and/or be on the same level as the 2070Super 

For me one of the best and promsing features of the 11.50 update will be this:

Ben Supnik:

"....The Vulkan and Metal back-ends change their approach to running out of VRAM. With the OpenGL driver, when VRAM is exhausted, textures are moved to system memory, and the application stutters while the driver makes this mad last-minute shuffle.

When running with Metal and Vulkan, X-Plane will reduce the resolution of your textures while you fly, in the background, without stutters, preferring to reduce resolution on textures that are not being used right now. The result should be smoother and generally less disruptive. You can still lower the overall texture resolution to better fit your card’s budget....."

source:  Vulkan and Metal: Testing and Bug Fighting

Yes, there is hope for guys like me who cannot afford a RTX2080 Ti at this time; but I must update my rig in the next time.  So, fingers crossed :smile:.

Those Laminar guys are really awesome and passionate about improving their "baby" further, love it.

Cheers

Edited by KBUR
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This worries me a bit. Assuming it works then fine but when p3d or fsx struggles with performance it only manages to load low res textures which in the extreme leads to the blurries which in sure everyone has experienced at some point.

Xplane never had this issue because it loaded in everything but obviously needed more memory. If they are changing their approach then there is the risk of blurries if things aren't optimised.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, tutmeister said:

This worries me a bit. Assuming it works then fine but when p3d or fsx struggles with performance it only manages to load low res textures which in the extreme leads to the blurries which in sure everyone has experienced at some point.

Xplane never had this issue because it loaded in everything but obviously needed more memory. If they are changing their approach then there is the risk of blurries if things aren't optimised.

What would you prefer?  ...

1. Blurries as necessary  

2. Stutters 

You only get one choice, and "neither" is NOT a choice.

Edited by JGregory

Well actually I'm hoping Vulcan delivers all it promises and we do get neither!!

In some ways I prefer the option of not reducing textures by having enough ram and vram like I currently do. Obviously not everyone does have though so this is probably a good approach to it.

Rest assured son, Laminars code is roughly 20 years younger than what's at work in FSX and P3D, and I am not kidding.

-

16 hours ago, JGregory said:

What would you prefer?  ...

1. Blurries as necessary  

2. Stutters 

You only get one choice, and "neither" is NOT a choice.

Of course "neither" is a choice!

You just need to have sufficient hardware to run at a decent frame rate, with the eye candy settings reduced far enough that you're not taxing the system. And not a 4k monitor unless your system is truly beefy enough to drive it.

I don't have a super high end system (specs below), but I never see blurries OR stutters when flying XP11. 

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

46 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

Of course "neither" is a choice!

You just need to have sufficient hardware to run at a decent frame rate, with the eye candy settings reduced far enough that you're not taxing the system. And not a 4k monitor unless your system is truly beefy enough to drive it.

I don't have a super high end system (specs below), but I never see blurries OR stutters when flying XP11. 

That's why I said "Blurries as necessary"