Sign in to follow this  
Randall

Xplane 11.50

I left FSX a long time ago, and one of the thing that i liked from the start in XP were the crisp textures no matter what. I am hoping to never have to experience what i did in FSX again, and would be pretty hilarious if i got to see it now.

That being said i am sure they'll manage to tweak it properly and limit the amount of textures which will be blurred, besides that i think the best course will still be the one of selecting the global texture resolution in the settings panel so you give XP a headstart about your gpu capabilities too in regard of vram

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

This is going to be interesting for sure. Hopefully my 6GB of VRAM will be enough to avoid texture loss, as on balance as a lower altitude flyer, I'd take stutters and lower performance over loss of texture resolution.

15 hours ago, Stratocaster said:

This is going to be interesting for sure. Hopefully my 6GB of VRAM will be enough to avoid texture loss, as on balance as a lower altitude flyer, I'd take stutters and lower performance over loss of texture resolution.

Ben said that 6GB should be fine. The problem is that there are many people out there with abysmal hardware that expect (no, even DEMAND) the simulator to run at the highest settings with incredible framerate. "It´s impossible" is not an acceptable answer 😂.

This will be the crux for Laminar Research - and preference varies wildly among the user base. Eventually Laminar will have to make the call, because adding options for the users usually fails (look at the way the sliders are being used right now).

The bottom line (as Ben suggested) will be: Buy decent hardware and you will be fine. If you can´t buy decent hardware, lower your texture sliders to allow X-Plane to fit all the needed textures into your VRAM. If you can´t bring yourself to lower the slider, X-Plane will lower resolution for you.

Cheers, Jan

• Like 2

With a 6 GB card now and texture slider ohhhh, if I can picture it in my head now, using just over 5gb of texture memory? And everything is just fine at 40+ fps. It should only get better, the only time I get stutters, is in VR, but I think that's more the headset losing head tracking in the dark lol

...or a 12GB Titan Xp @2,1ghz 😉

I’m really looking forward to see how much performance is relieved from the CPU, and how Laminar will be able to utilize more threads / cores, going Vulkan. Perhaps not much for 11.50, but future versions..

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 12:48 PM, Janov said:

Ben said that 6GB should be fine. The problem is that there are many people out there with abysmal hardware that expect (no, even DEMAND) the simulator to run at the highest settings with incredible framerate. "It´s impossible" is not an acceptable answer 😂.

That's good to know, and with a legacy mode not all is lost anyway. Just hoping for a little boost along the way until I upgrade my PC.

On 1/10/2020 at 8:04 AM, kristolz said:

...or a 12GB Titan Xp @2,1ghz 😉

I’m really looking forward to see how much performance is relieved from the CPU, and how Laminar will be able to utilize more threads / cores, going Vulkan. Perhaps not much for 11.50, but future versions..

You will be pleasantly surprised.  I don't want to say too much, but my Windows 2080ti and my MacBook Pro 8GB AMD are definitely earning their money in 11.50.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

I can also see improvements in .4x now in VR with the Reverb. It's much better flyable and jumping from 19.99 fps to 24-30 with 4xSSAA in heavy areas but not sure it's already a improvement of XP11 or perhaps a improved WMR/Steam driver upgrade (?/!)

I only can hope that with the long awaited .50 (Vulcan) version there is also improvement  with the VR Shimmering issue and aware that it becomes more and more a hot topic in the VR flightsim communiity. (MipMaps?)

For me it is only (very bad) noticable  in VR and  not in 2D monitor mode where I can have all maxed out and using 8xSSAA 

I Keep my fingers crossed and hope I can say,  bye bye to P3D in VR and... Hello again XP11

Happy landings...

On 1/9/2020 at 7:52 PM, Ident said:

Feeling rather good about having that 11G 1080Ti now.

Yeah, two years ago I thought my 8GB VRam would be awesome. Actually it is for almost any game. But in sims you can load so much textures that even that can get close at times. Ortho + Airport Scenery + high res addon aircraft (the TBM seems to freak out my VRam) ... 🙂

Edited by tweekz

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Any news yet? This does not look good if they haven't released a public beta yet. 

Yeah, all silent now. Maybe this year..

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals 

53 minutes ago, Casualcas said:

Any news yet? This does not look good if they haven't released a public beta yet. 

Doesn't look any different from when they said Vulkan woudn't come in 2019. They said they hopefully needed weeks more than months, weeks are passing by but all we can do is still wait. I doubt Vulkan will change much for me anyway, besides the issues with most addons (and more importantly the death of xVision)

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

1 hour ago, Pastaiolo said:

Doesn't look any different from when they said Vulkan woudn't come in 2019. They said they hopefully needed weeks more than months, weeks are passing by but all we can do is still wait. I doubt Vulkan will change much for me anyway, besides the issues with most addons (and more importantly the death of xVision)

Has the "death of X-Vision" been confirmed somewhere? Up until now, the developer has updated it's app with light speed. Why would they give up now?

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

I don't have the technical knowledge to understand how Vulkan will change things exactly, but i always had the impression that Vulkan would be difficult on everything drawing in 3d (xVision and xEnviro in particular)