Sign in to follow this  
Skyseek

Posting Questions in Primary Forums

Hi Jim,

I think why most people post messages / threads in the primary forums, rather than the specialized sub-forums are because of readership volume and increasing the chance of getting an answer / resolution.

I have had a few posts go unanswered in the sub-forums. 

just my two cents worth.

Thanks!

A PM to Jim would have been a better idea! 😉  I'll leave this post here, for now.  The main reason is to not clog forums like this one with people yapping about their hardware, controllers, and the like. Questions about payware like PMDG belong in the specialized forums.

All yours, Jim!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

3 hours ago, Skyseek said:

Hi Jim,

I think why most people post messages / threads in the primary forums, rather than the specialized sub-forums are because of readership volume and increasing the chance of getting an answer / resolution.

I have had a few posts go unanswered in the sub-forums. 

just my two cents worth.

Thanks!

I agree with Charlie but my response should be for everyone who posts questions in our forums.  First of all, I'm not the decision-maker in the forums anymore as I resigned from this position several months ago due to health reasons.  Bob Scott is now the Forums Administrator and makes the decisions regarding the forums.  My thoughts though -

• we have a pinned topic at the topic that states there should be no hardware questions posted in the FSX forum.
  • members requested a separate hardware forum, to include Window OS Forums, and we like to keep our members happy.
  • the FSX forum is NOT as popular as the Hardware Forum according to Google Analytics.  The P3D Forum is now on the top of the list.  The MSFS Forum is on top on some days like Thursdays to see any new developments.
  • most members go to the Unread Content in the upper right corner of the AVSIM forums and they will eventually see your post even in sub-forums.  Recently I saw a post in the I-Fly Forum (a dead sim and a very dead forum) that was answered almost immediately (okay it was a response to a Merry Christmas message; maybe a hardware question might not be as 'Merry'). 
  • IMHO, it is not fair to others interested in finding the best hardware (CPU, video card, or Controller) to run any simulator.  If we have hardware questions all over AVSIM, it is hard to see all of the topics about it unless you run a search which may or may not answer your question based on what you placed in the search box.  Having separate forums for hardware and Windows 10 questions puts everything about the subject in one area, a one-stop shopping area for getting everything you want.
  • the Hardware Forum is very active.  AVSIM definitely has many experts who know computers and are anxious to respond.  I even go there many times to get information on a certain CPU or Controller.  Sometimes I will answer a question there based on my expertise.  Whenever I respond, I usually will Google or Bing and do a lot of research to provide the best response.  I think others do to as they want to be as helpful as possible.
  • allowing members to violate any rules we have posted may make other think it is okay to disregard the rules too.  At least we show the membership where the topic went for two days as the link remains for 48 hours.  Members can still see and click on this link to your topic and possibly provide a response.

I am going to edit your topic title (Jim Young Forum Comments) to something more appropriate.  Hope my response was helpful.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I mentioned Hardware Forums as an example as I believed you are upset over my moving a topic you had regarding controllers to the Hardware Forum.  I will take another look at your topic and see if I can answer your question(s) if it has not already been answered.  I have found that responses to questions about controllers are difficult to make.  For one, it is a piece of hardware that not everyone owns and you usually have to own the hardware to make an educated response.  Questions about CPU's, Video Cards, are easier to respond too as many own them.  Controllers have a history of not working well with ANY game, not just FSX or other flight simulator.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I believe Jim has answered your question pretty thoroughly and I don't want this to become a major discussion in this forum.  A move to the Hangar Chat forum may be a good choice!

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: