Sign in to follow this  
CYXR

Fokker 100 crash at UAAA

Very sad news.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

There is a more detailed description at the Aviation Herald. The way the aircraft struggled to climb, then sharply banked right and, according to witnesses, started to vibrate seems like there was never any proper lift achieved. Considering the weather and the fact that the aircraft sat on the apron for 2 days ice accumulation seems plausible. Although I couldn't find anything suggesting de-icing was not done, which I also can't imagine. There are also reports of two tail strikes prior to liftoff which seem like failed rotations. Just a couple of first thoughts.

• Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Sure seems like an icing issue Niklas. American Airlines had those planes in their  fleet for a while. While we are reading this story, an explosion at the Beechcraft factory happened this morning in Wichita. Seems like an industrial accident.

Edited by Paul Deluca

Condolences to those involved. The article mentioned the Captain perished in the crash - not too surprising considering the Fokker impacted that building on his side of the cockpit.

The survivor talking to the reporter in the linked article mentioned that the plane was moving like a boat. Then vibrating too. All this sounds, to this layman's suppositions anyway as though the plane was not at flying speed - wallowing around and vibrating (pre-stall buffet?).

Leaving aside the questions regarding proper de-icing, could the V-speeds have been set incorrectly given the tail strikes?

As always - all our comments are pure conjecture at this stage, but some are more knowledgeable than others (not me!).

The internet says that a nitrogen line ruptured at the Beechcraft plant. At least no one was killed.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

One of the news reports stated a survivor said there was ice on the wing even after deicing and during take off. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Just read  about a Cessna 208 crashing in Mexico due to ice. I don't have the link.this happened on the 24th. Airliners.net is carrying the story. 2 fatalities.