Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

Samsung 49" CRG9 - how can I split the screen in P3D??

Just ordered the samsung CRG9 49". Ideally, I want the option of having the cockpit up on one portion of the screen and an exterior view on the other. I know I can open a new window for either but don't they generally lay over top of each other? 

Suggestions?

Run P3D in windows mode and resize and posisition where you like it to be. 

Then open Spot view and undock it a set position. 

Save the flight in the scenario menu for later use. 

Or better, buy p3dStarter. 

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3

On 12/28/2019 at 3:51 AM, roarkr said:

Run P3D in windows mode and resize and posisition where you like it to be. 

Then open Spot view and undock it a set position. 

Save the flight in the scenario menu for later use. 

Or better, buy p3dStarter. 

Will undocking allow me to move it outside of the window? I tried today and it still is confined to the main window (overlays over the other window)

I want to pull it out of the main window to create 2 separate windows. 

Edited by avi8tir

Just curious how you like the Samsung 49, overall. Did you make the change from a 3-monitor setup? I have had a 3-monitor for years and contemplated making the change for both P3Dv4.5 and XP11. 

I'm waiting for the one at the following link - https://www.techspot.com/news/83392-samsung-new-odyssey-gaming-monitor-line-boasts-aggressive.html.  Going to be shown at CES 2020.  Just need to know how much...

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

14 hours ago, Les Parson said:

Just curious how you like the Samsung 49, overall. Did you make the change from a 3-monitor setup? I have had a 3-monitor for years and contemplated making the change for both P3Dv4.5 and XP11. 

I haven't received it yet. Just preparing for when it does arrive. I went from an Acer XR34 C1 to a Ben Q PD3200 4k when I built my new 9900K setup. The 4k is crisp but I miss the ultra wide. Figure with the 49", I will have lots of options to mange the real estate - hence wanting 2/3 of the screen to be cockpit with a nice sized external view for the other 1/3.

22 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I'm waiting for the one at the following link - https://www.techspot.com/news/83392-samsung-new-odyssey-gaming-monitor-line-boasts-aggressive.html.  Going to be shown at CES 2020.  Just need to know how much...

wow that thing looks awesome. I wonder what the pricing will look like on that... I am guessing $1500? I should have my CRG9 in a week.... I have 15 days to return it so I might just be sending it back and waiting for this too!

Edited by avi8tir

That's the problem with a lot of technology.  You find something like a very nice monitor or GPU, buy it and something even better shows up.  I was seriously looking at the crg9 too but decided to wait a couple more months.  This one has AMD's Freesync2 and Nvidia's G-Sync compatibility so think this will cost a lot more than $1500.  They say the curvature of the screen is dramatic too roughly filling the same field of view as the human eye.  1ms response time and and up to 240hz refresh rate.  May have to sell the car for this one!  Nice review here - https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2020/1/3/21047322/samsung-odyssey-g9-g7-curved-gaming-monitor-49-inch-qled-display-specs-ces-2020

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The CRG9 has some curvature doesn't it? Is there any distortion associated with the curved monitors? I notice with my 3 X 24", I have some distorted views when looking far left/right. 

19 hours ago, Jim Young said:

That's the problem with a lot of technology.  You find something like a very nice monitor or GPU, buy it and something even better shows up.  I was seriously looking at the crg9 too but decided to wait a couple more months.  This one has AMD's Freesync2 and Nvidia's G-Sync compatibility so think this will cost a lot more than $1500.  They say the curvature of the screen is dramatic too roughly filling the same field of view as the human eye.  1ms response time and and up to 240hz refresh rate.  May have to sell the car for this one!  Nice review here - https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2020/1/3/21047322/samsung-odyssey-g9-g7-curved-gaming-monitor-49-inch-qled-display-specs-ces-2020

After reading more about it, this monitor may be "too" curved for everyday use. I work from home quite a bit a deal with constant spreadsheets, powerpoint, etc etc. this monitor looks awesome for gaming but is it too extreme for everything else? Guess we'll have to wait for the first in person reviews from CES. 

On 1/4/2020 at 6:15 PM, Jim Young said:

Hi Jim.

Nice, but too curved for me. I also dislike the limited vertical resolution.

I'm currently using  the Dell 3011 at 1600 vertical res. I'd hate to drop down to 1440, even for a wideview.

I'm waiting for the 38GL950G - at 3840 x 1600:

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38GL950G-B-gaming-monitor

- most annoyed at it being on sale over there in the US for a while now, (a few have been showing theirs off on the forums) and still no sign here in the UK yet - one of the largest online retailers over here cancelled my pre-order back in November quoting 'unavailable'...

I've had no response from LG to my emails. Grrr.

I cannot understand why in the US it is priced at $1800, and one retailer here is quoting pre-orders at £1799. The current exchange rate would indicate a fair UK price of £1350 !

Regards
Bill

We need to be able to tell in software the radius of the monitor. The odyssey would realy shine if we could do that. Otherwise 1000R might be too much. I really like my CRG9. For me I did not split. My 'old' 4K sits on top now.

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard

On 1/6/2020 at 1:54 AM, BillCusick said:

Nice, but too curved for me. I also dislike the limited vertical resolution.

I'm currently using  the Dell 3011 at 1600 vertical res. I'd hate to drop down to 1440, even for a wideview.

I'm waiting for the 38GL950G - at 3840 x 1600:

I continue to read reviews and more reviews about the Odyssey G9 so my decision to buy is not set in concrete.  Good thing monitor makers announce the product long before the release.  I'm not excited about the Korean based LG Electronics and definitely prefer Samsung so it does not make much difference to me if LG has a product that may out-shine similar monitors, including those made down the street by Samsung.  I think the 38 inch size of the LG is about perfect for gaming but, as you indicate, think this monitor is very expensive at $1800. 

I have done more research on Samsung's Odyssey G9 and some "experts" are saying you will need a very powerful computer for gaming.  I have a powerful computer but know MSFS2020 will have a lot of textures to render and may have difficulties rendering the textures on a 49 inch monitor with a 240Hz refresh rate (maybe even a 60Hz refresh rate).  At 60 Hz, it would probably be okay but it would be a waste of money to go to a 240Hz.  So buying the G9 would only be a future proof purchase in the hopes GPU's and CPU's will be released sometime in the near future to give me anything close to 240Hz.  I could probably get to 120Mz with lower P3D or MSFS2K20 but that does not sound exciting.

Right now, I think the OP is getting the best purchase at 49 inches and the 120Hz refresh rate.  I heard Microsoft is planning to use tech to allow higher FPS on systems that are not all that powerful so getting to 120Hz may soon be attainable but not 240Hz. 

I have the Dell 34 inch monitor and like it a lot and will probably sit back and watch the reviews or comments here on AVSIM from someone who purchased the Odyssey G9.

On 12/27/2019 at 8:15 PM, avi8tir said:

Just ordered the samsung CRG9 49". Ideally, I want the option of having the cockpit up on one portion of the screen and an exterior view on the other. I know I can open a new window for either but don't they generally lay over top of each other? 

Suggestions?

To get back on topic, it is possible to do what you want.  I split my 34 inch screen in the middle with Dell's Display Manager and put Spot View on the right screen and it works perfectly with no depreciation of FPS.  This way, when you land, you can also watch your pinpoint landing on the center of the runway!  The software that comes with your monitor should provide the ability to split the screen in several different ways (I split the main screen so that it fills 3/4's of the screen).  You simply undock the second view and move the view to the other screen.  This is the first time I have done anything like this on my Dell 34 inch screen and it is pretty neat (thanks for the idea).  If you click on the spot view screen to make it active, you can use your controller to look around the aircraft and go to other views, even back into the VC.  With the Display Manager still open while running P3DV4, I can split the screen in another configuration without having to restart P3D.  You can go to either screen without pausing the sim but the outside view will have different sounds.  You will have plenty of time to experiment once you get your new monitor. 

I have a second monitor hooked up too and can move the second view over to that monitor and leave the full VC on the 34" screen too.  Fun stuff!

Submit News to AVSIM

2 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I continue to read reviews and more reviews about the Odyssey G9 so my decision to buy is not set in concrete.  Good thing monitor makers announce the product long before the release.  I'm not excited about the Korean based LG Electronics and definitely prefer Samsung so it does not make much difference to me if LG has a product that may out-shine similar monitors, including those made down the street by Samsung.  I think the 38 inch size of the LG is about perfect for gaming but, as you indicate, think this monitor is very expensive at $1800. 

I have done more research on Samsung's Odyssey G9 and some "experts" are saying you will need a very powerful computer for gaming.  I have a powerful computer but know MSFS2020 will have a lot of textures to render and may have difficulties rendering the textures on a 49 inch monitor with a 240Hz refresh rate (maybe even a 60Hz refresh rate).  At 60 Hz, it would probably be okay but it would be a waste of money to go to a 240Hz.  So buying the G9 would only be a future proof purchase in the hopes GPU's and CPU's will be released sometime in the near future to give me anything close to 240Hz.  I could probably get to 120Mz with lower P3D or MSFS2K20 but that does not sound exciting.

Right now, I think the OP is getting the best purchase at 49 inches and the 120Hz refresh rate.  I heard Microsoft is planning to use tech to allow higher FPS on systems that are not all that powerful so getting to 120Hz may soon be attainable but not 240Hz. 

I have the Dell 34 inch monitor and like it a lot and will probably sit back and watch the reviews or comments here on AVSIM from someone who purchased the Odyssey G9.

To get back on topic, it is possible to do what you want.  I split my 34 inch screen in the middle with Dell's Display Manager and put Spot View on the right screen and it works perfectly with no depreciation of FPS.  This way, when you land, you can also watch your pinpoint landing on the center of the runway!  The software that comes with your monitor should provide the ability to split the screen in several different ways (I split the main screen so that it fills 3/4's of the screen).  You simply undock the second view and move the view to the other screen.  This is the first time I have done anything like this on my Dell 34 inch screen and it is pretty neat (thanks for the idea).  If you click on the spot view screen to make it active, you can use your controller to look around the aircraft and go to other views, even back into the VC.  With the Display Manager still open while running P3DV4, I can split the screen in another configuration without having to restart P3D.  You can go to either screen without pausing the sim but the outside view will have different sounds.  You will have plenty of time to experiment once you get your new monitor. 

I have a second monitor hooked up too and can move the second view over to that monitor and leave the full VC on the 34" screen too.  Fun stuff!

Thanks for the tips. I was figuring I can use the samsung software but thought there would be a native way within P3D. CRG9 gets here today so will be excited to get it going. 

• Like 1

CRG9 is up and running.... issues right off the bat. all views of the plane (inside and out) are a little.... ummm.... skewed. Scenery looks normal though. tried on multiple planes and its the same on all. Wideview aspect ratio is selected. As well, confirmed =TRUE in the cfg. Any ideas?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NjjXrFkaFRFQ4Jdz8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EKZC1MDcuBTtoRQa9