Sign in to follow this  
barnstormer716

Logitech Radio Panel & Multi Panel not working?

18 hours ago, LesOReilly said:

replaces all of that crappy Logitech software and drivers for these panels....Does a much better job driving them

I think this is poor advice. First off, the Logitech drivers work fine, at least for P3Dv4, which is what I have installed. But you need to install them and make sure they are running. Most of the time when someone reports a problem it's because the driver program simply isn't running.In the present case something else is amiss, which is most likely due to some inconsistency in the prerequisite software. This is not unique to Logitech, much of our legacy software is built on top of the multitude of different versions of Visual Studio, each of which requires its own runtime libraries to be installed. The packaging and installation of these things is far from robust and there are often problems that can leave things in an inconsistent state. It doesn't help that installers will usually run the library installs with a /silent option (so you don't know it's happening), and this means you won't get to see any error messages if it fails.

I have nothing against SPAD.neXt, but it's far from a guaranteed quick fix. It also costs £25 for each sim you want to use it in, rather than free. If anything, if the OP can't get the Logitech drivers to install correctly he might want to try SPAD, which is free.

• Like 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Without simconnect in the computer I don't think anything is going to work.  So far no one on the FSX forum has any suggestions as to what is preventing it from installing.

7 hours ago, MarkDH said:

I think this is poor advice. First off, the Logitech drivers work fine, at least for P3Dv4, which is what I have installed. But you need to install them and make sure they are running. Most of the time when someone reports a problem it's because the driver program simply isn't running.In the present case something else is amiss, which is most likely due to some inconsistency in the prerequisite software. This is not unique to Logitech, much of our legacy software is built on top of the multitude of different versions of Visual Studio, each of which requires its own runtime libraries to be installed. The packaging and installation of these things is far from robust and there are often problems that can leave things in an inconsistent state. It doesn't help that installers will usually run the library installs with a /silent option (so you don't know it's happening), and this means you won't get to see any error messages if it fails.

I have nothing against SPAD.neXt, but it's far from a guaranteed quick fix. It also costs £25 for each sim you want to use it in, rather than free. If anything, if the OP can't get the Logitech drivers to install correctly he might want to try SPAD, which is free.

It is not Poor -- advice -- if anything it is "Rich" advice......I buy the complete edition...so even more expensive, but then I don't have to buy different pieces....That said if all he use is P3D/FSX variants, well then he only needs the FSX/P3D version.

Yes it is an "easier" fix 🙂 The drivers from Logitech do crash....And then you do need to make sure that the .exe and .dll config have been written and you have to make sure you have all of the legacy simconnects installed....yada yada yada.

The original SPAD was okay......SPAD.NEXT just makes things so much better......I don't get why you would suggest spending time getting an obsolete program running that has no support or community.  Mean while you have a product that is worth it's weight and you get to maximize the all of the hardware of your simulator.....Also done in a friendly to use GUI for things that others use LUA scripting and FSUIPC programming that is much harder to do.....

My only issue here is that your opinion is not fact....Don't call one persons advice "Poor" because your "OPINION" is different.

Les O'Reilly

5 hours ago, barnstormer716 said:

Without simconnect in the computer I don't think anything is going to work.  So far no one on the FSX forum has any suggestions as to what is preventing it from installing.

in installed Programs of windows you will see all the version that are installed.

My "guess" is that it is a permissions thing....Some will say this is "bad advice" but if you right click on the Installers you can chose to run them as administrator.  Permissions might be stopping them from properly installing.

Another question -- are you using the FSX Steam Beta? or just the current FSX Steam edition?

I only ask as it seems like there is some changes to the BETA that are making the software non-compatible (I am referencing the Reality XP Forum) like when changes are made to P3D and RXP has to do updates..

Les O'Reilly

8 hours ago, LesOReilly said:

Don't call one persons advice "Poor" because your "OPINION" is different.

You started by calling the Logitech drivers "crappy" and asserting that SPAD.neXt "does a much better job" of driving the panels, but you didn't substantiate either of these things. You will also find that the (61-page) SPAD.neXt "Getting Started" manual tells you that you need to have Simconnect installed and working, which is the OP's current problem.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

29 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

You started by calling the Logitech drivers "crappy" and asserting that SPAD.neXt "does a much better job" of driving the panels, but you didn't substantiate either of these things. You will also find that the (61-page) SPAD.neXt "Getting Started" manual tells you that you need to have Simconnect installed and working, which is the OP's current problem.

One of the Headline features of the now defunct SPAD was what?

- Much better stability 

Les O'Reilly

2 hours ago, LesOReilly said:

One of the Headline features of the now defunct SPAD was what?

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the defunct version of SPAD is still available.

While it is limited in regards to SPAD.neXt, it does work and has a fairly small learning curve. 😊

Ernest Pergrem

On 1/1/2020 at 12:08 PM, barnstormer716 said:

in installed Programs of windows you will see all the version that are installed.

My "guess" is that it is a permissions thing....Some will say this is "bad advice" but if you right click on the Installers you can chose to run them as administrator.  Permissions might be stopping them from properly installing.

Another question -- are you using the FSX Steam Beta? or just the current FSX Steam edition?

I have FSX Acceleration not Steam. I'm not sure about the permissions thing.  Again I'm not a computer guy.  I know just enough to fly the sim.

28 minutes ago, barnstormer716 said:
  On 1/1/2020 at 12:08 PM, barnstormer716 said:

I have FSX Acceleration not Steam. I'm not sure about the permissions thing.  Again I'm not a computer guy.  I know just enough to fly the sim.

This might be the issue but the Acceleration version should support the Sim Connect installers.  I would consider the issue might have to do with permissions.  Also make sure that FSX is not running when you install it.  Additionally you might need to install from within your FSX folder which should have the installers for it.....

The other thing to consider is to just pay the 25 dollars or so and buy the Steam Edition -- That said it is 25 dollars out the window when you consider some time this year the New MSFS will be out....

Les O'Reilly

•  

To close this out on a positive note, my son and I dug into the thing and he finally, after reading some reviews found the simconnect.dll in a flight one UTX Alaska file.  I copied it and put it in my Flight Simulator X file...I was just guessing...and I'll be darned if it didn't suddenly come alive the next time I used FSX!

After two weeks and two days of frustration I'm finally able to enjoy my Christmas presents.

Thanks to all of you who got me on the right track.

•  
  •  

Just a few comments because I had the same issue with the Logitech Radio panel in FSX just now. (Note: this is normal FSX on Windows 10, other versions and operating systems may have slightly different paths)

1. Install the appropriate Logitech plugin from https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024698434--Downloads-Flight-Radio-Panel

This creates the folder ?:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\FSX Plugin with the following files (Note that there may be no SimConnect.dll)
DirectOutput.dll  LogiFlightSimX.exe  LogiWinMediaPlayer.dll 
Gauges            LogiFlightSimX.xml  SaiFlightFip.xml

2. Try running LogiFlightSimX.exe.

If there is no error messages, the problem might be that FSX does not actually load the program at startup.

Like suggested in comments above, open the file <User>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\ (e.g. with typing notepad %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\exe.xml into cmd.exe) and make sure that there is an entry like this:

<Launch.Addon>
            <Name>Logitech Plugin for FSX</Name>
            <Disabled>False</Disabled>
            <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\FSX Plugin\LogiFlightSimX.exe</Path>
            <CommandLine>-run</CommandLine>
        </Launch.Addon>

If there is not, add this entry (with the correct path) and try again.

3. If the error message is that SimConnect.dll cannot be found

3.1 Make sure SimConnect is installed, for example, by installing all three major versions, e.g., from http://www.fspassengers.com/?action=simconnect

3.2 If SimConnect is installed, it might be that Logitech's software does not look in the right place.

To find out, where the SimConnect.dll that FSX actually loads is located, you can use ProcessMonitor.exe (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon)

Start procmon.exe and filter for "Process Name" "begins with" "fsx" (include) and "Path" "ends with" "Simconnect.dll". Then start FSX. Look for a line with "Operation" "LoadImage" and "Result" "SUCCESS" (this is the DLL that FSX loaded). Copy the path and copy that file to the Logitech\FSX Plugin folder.

(You can change the filter to "Process Name" "begins with" "LogiFlightSimX" and restart FSX to ensure that the logitech tool is started and finds the correct DLL).

4. A different error message appears

If there is a SimConnect DLL in the Logitech\FSX Plugin folder, it may be the wrong version (e.g., if you copied it there from somewhere). Try deleting the file and starting from 3. again.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Karl Klose