Sign in to follow this  
Richard SWAN

Carenado C172SP G1000 Key Pad access

Hi fellow flight simmers and particularly Carenado.  

Please , Please, how do we get the key pad up when we are entering details for flight planning in the G1000? 

It is driving me batty and I am unable to complete a flight plan,  The You Tube videos show a key pad for data entry, but as usual do not tell us how to access this.

Please Carenado, help us frustrated flight simmers out!!!!

Regards

Richard SWAN

There is no keypad.  Did you read the Carendao G-1000 manual (flight planning begins on Page 22)?  You enter data by using the knobs and selecting the Flight Plan (FPL) button.  You use the knobs to scroll up or down.  The inner knob shows waypoints.  What you are seeing in videos is probably some type of add-on (maybe the GTN 650 or 750?  Reality XP has a support forum for these gauges and information on how to purchase.  Many members get the appropriate GTN as it is easier to use and set up a flight plan).  In any case, flight planning is fully described in the G1000 manual provided with the aircraft.  Look for the manuals in the Carenado directory on your computer.

The Carenado Forums here on AVSIM are for user-to-user support only.  There is no official support from Carenado.  They do provide support on their website and have FAQ's and a way to e-mail them with your request for support.  For me they have been very responsive but I only used them once.  AVSIM has a Carenado Forum just for the C172SP and your should visit to see if there is anything there to help you with your issue. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for your quick reply Mr Young

I did read all the Carenado manual,s but have great difficulty using the mouse to work the outer and inner knobs, I would like  to get that add on as you mentioned as flight planning is 

near impossible using the mouse.  I have visited the AVSIM Carenado forum and there are many flight simmers with the same problems  with great difficulty in entering data

via the knob and outer knobs. 

The manual is very poor in describing the action of the knobs and in one example it instructs the user to "you can enter the airport code using the GCU (keypad of the aircraft)

With no mention of how to access or use it.   (  G1000 Navigraph Manual Page 6) This manual is useless in explain how to create a flight plan.

Thanks very much Mr Young

I don't think I will be using my Carenado C172SP G1000 as it is impossible to use.

Regards

Richard  SWAN

There is a GCU 477 in the Carenado Phenom 300 and there are some problems with that too. The DA62 has the GCU too.  I have not used the one in the DA62 yet.  I have been successful using the GCU477 but many have not. 

The manual you were looking at was the wrong one.  The right one is the Carenado G-1000.  If you have installed the updated AIRAC for Carenado aircraft, I suspect you can use the Navigraph manual.  Most likely they just put this manual into every installation as almost all of the aircraft can be updated via Navigraph subscription service.

The knobs do not work via click spots.  You have to put your cursor over the inner or outer knobs and use the mouse wheel.  It works like a charm!

There are many other manuals for the C172 for loading flight plans into the G1000.  You do not have to use the Carenado guides.  Here's one - http://krepelka.com/fsweb/learningcenter/navigation/usingtheg1000.htm

You might want to check out the C172 forum to see if there is anything about which GNS to install in the aircraft.  Reality XP forum might be where you can get that information too or many someone reading this will know.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The G1000 in the C172SP is different from the older version used in the Cessna T206H G1000 etc. The default flight planner and a Reality XP GNS 530 pop up combination works well in the T206H but not at all in the 172SP. 

My suggestion would be to use the G1000 MFD pop up <Shift> + <2> to make flight plan entries. To make the button larger on the MFD try this:

1.  Open 'panel.cfg.' in the Panel folder and go to the [Window01] section.

2.  Add // in front of 'window_size=0.49, 0.59'

3.  Remove // from 'window_size=0.8597, 1.0'

4.  Add // in front of 'window_pos= 0.500, 0.350' 

5. Save

Try making a simple flight plan using the example as per the Carenado Navigraph G1000 Manual that came with your aircraft. 

Good luck!

WS

Edited by Ranger75

Thank you Mr Young and Ranger 75   WS

I will use the flight planner that you suggested Jim, and Ranger 75 I will enlarge my MFD Panel in the Carenado C172SP G1000 aircraft.

I wish both of you a Very Happy New Year and that 2020 will be a great year ahead

Many Thanks again for your valuable assistance with my Carenado Aircraft problem

Regards

Richard SWAN

Hi Mr. Swan. I believe Mr. Young was using a different plane or G1000 version. You are correct. The G1000 provided with the C172SP by Carenado is corrupt and not operable AS OF THIS DATE. To make the MFD a separate window, all I have to do is click on the top of the MFD on the name Garmin. I disagree with going through and revising the panel.cfg. Based on my web research, it appears that the company Carendao is not the best consumer friendly company. I do not know the owners, but the product line is starting to deteriorate from what I can gather from comments on the G1000. No one seems to even know where the Navigraph folder - an outdated system - is supposed to be placed in - for example - the FSX Folder Listing. It is now at least 90 days since you posted and the situation you describe is exactly the same.At this time, there is no solution except to use the default 172 with G1000 - built by Microsoft years ago! If you find the solution to the G1000 and Carandao's 172 botch, pleae post it. This comment does not take away from all those hard working hobbiests, I truly appreciate - and use - their  results.

A flight plan can be made in the MFD and the aircraft autopilot will follow that planned route from the departure airport through an approach procedure to the destination airport.  Waypoints, IAF etc. and the route will show on the MFD screen.  I could write up a step by step example of how to make up a flight plan if that will help someone.

The Carenado G1000 fails miserably however in showing the correct and actual data in the flight plan. Now and again it will surprise you and get it right, but don’t count on that!  Desired tracks, times enroute, enroute safe altitude, etc. are generally just random useless numbers. Sometimes it shows a proper transition to the next leg and sometimes it just does a 180 to return from whence it came. Totally random and thoroughly unreliable.   BUT, the aircraft will happily carry on with the expected flight planned routing despite it all.

My hypothesis is that the Carenado C172SP G1000 was put together as a ‘showcase’ for the intriguing ‘synthetic vision system’ and the ‘new and improved G1000’ based totally on Navigraph data.  Yes, it is a mess, however there are some good qualities.  A key factor in getting some enjoyment out of any Carenado aircraft is to change or alter what you can, and work with or work around what you can’t.  The G1000 screens can be revised to at least look like the ones in a Cessna 172 and with that it makes for a very nice VFR touring aircraft.