Anyone out there using a OLED TV for their monitor in X-Plane or any other flight sim program?

Terry

If no OLED users out there, what are the next best. Any QLED users?

I know, everyone is changing to 82 inch 8K screens.

Will there ever be scenery textures/ resolution detailed enough to demand high end TV/monitors?

Terry

I don't have one but I looked at them before I purchased my current 4k LCD. Besides the price my main concern was that they have a problem with image burn in. Because of that I decided that an OLED would not be good for flight simming due to having the same panel image on the sceen for a long time. Other than that and the price they are better than LCDs.

Ted

Edited by Ted Striker

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Unless you never move around the cockpit, I do not think the burn in thing would be much of a problem.

We had some burn in problems with our radar scopes in the F-4E sims back in the late 70s but they were regular CRTs that ran nearly 24 hours a day.

I do want to step up to a large display as I only have a 1080P 40 inch Samsung TV to sim on.

Terry

Unless your room is blacked out and you fly predominantly at night I wouldn't bother with OLED. Their strength is pure blacks which can only be appreciated in a darkened room. Image retention can also be a problem. The smallest size is 55".

An LED TV is a safer and less expensive alternative as well as being available in smaller sizes. UHD displays are ideal for showing the fine detail in gauges and to a lesser extent, clouds and ground textures. I can't see the point of an 8K display as no current graphics card has the power to provide decent frame rates and the cost is exorbitant.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
  • Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Its already been brought up, but I spoke with a SONY rep recently and he said they DO NOT recommend OLED's for xbox, playstations because of the screen burn in which to some degree would include flight sims. Just go with a LED 4k HDR and enjoy. I recommend SONY's only because they have no problems with fast motion like most other brands have such a problem with.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

OLED burn-in is a real thing, but it's mostly confined to extraordinary circumstances like watching CNN for long periods of time and having the CNN logo burned into the screen. A flightsim menu or the P3d4 "academic" text could theoretically do the same thing. 

But generally, 3D apps do not have logos or equivalent blocks of pixels displayed in the same location. The best OLED TV for use in gaming IMO  (and also viewing entertainment content for a small room) is the 48" 2020 LG model, which has variable sync rates and other options that gamers are looking for.

As an aside, I have an early gen Panasonic 50" plasma and everyone was freaking out back then about plasmas and burn in. The TV is now 20 years old and still going strong. A lot of complaints about stuff like burn in is 5% fact and 95% FUD.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

If I only could hook the computer up to the holographic projectors I think X-plane would be pretty good. Maybe that option will be part of X-plane 12.  🙂

Terry

On 1/17/2020 at 1:21 PM, jabloomf1230 said:

As an aside, I have an early gen Panasonic 50" plasma and everyone was freaking out back then about plasmas and burn in. The TV is now 20 years old and still going strong. A lot of complaints about stuff like burn in is 5% fact and 95% FUD.

Haha I also have a 50" Panasonic plasma still going strong.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Careful. The burn-in boogeyman is hiding behind every TV channel logo.

I think I have burn-in how do I get rid of AVSIM in the top left corner 😂.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I have flown with a 55 inch OLED for 4 years now.  I have had an xbox hooked up to it for as many years.  I use it in a room that gets plenty of natural light.

Absolutely nothing comes close to it's picture quality.  Where OLED's shine is high contrast and low motion scenery.  Flight Sims are scenery with slow moving objects.  The blacks are incredible and, yes, if I dim the lights night flying is out of this world.  To say they are only good at deep blacks is a bit misleading.  I have no signs of burn in, anywhere. 

Price is getting better but it's still not cheap.

• Upvote 1

I have viewed several websites that review TVs and it looks like the OLED screens will be getting pretty cheep this year. The LG B9 65 inch is now $1699 at Best Buys. This is the same price as for the Samsung QLED 80R in the same size. Both would I be live to be great screens for flight simming. If by chance you were not happy, you still have a very nice TV.

Terry

@Cat_Dad, bear in mind using a huge screen with a computer could become an issue for normal computer work. A 65” from a couple of feet away will be very different to a smaller display. Make sure you can carry out normal Windows activities before you commit yourself.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have been following this topic as I was, until last week, sure to order the LG OLED CX 48' as soon as it comes out.  Now having read about the "possible" burn-in issue and considering that my room is rather bright with 2 windows facing the display, I have been looking at alternative. For the same price the latest Samsung QLED 55' Q95T seems very good and close to OLED in term of picture quality (blacks, colorfull). On top of that, it has a very efficient anti-reflective layer...   My only issue is that I am sitting 30 inches away from the display and I am afraid 55' may be too big.  I am not doing much fps game, mainly flight sim...  However from time to time, I am doing a bit of browsing, excel sheets....   

Any advise would be very welcome 🙂

Thank you.

Greg

too much, too soon....