I had a 55" Sony 4k TV for my sim monitor for a year. I sat about 30 inches from it. As Ray said, it was a little big for average computer work but for simming the immersion was great. Unfortunately our TV room only had a 43" 1080p TV and once the boss saw the Sony she wanted it moved to the TV room. I had read that computer monitors had much better image quality than TV monitors so I succumbed to her wishes (demands) and replaced the Sony with a 43" LG computer monitor. Well I can not see any difference in the image quality and 43" seems a little small  for simming now. I am trying to decide whether to get another 55" or 49" TV for the sim. If you want to know how a TV or monitor will look, take a 4k screenshot  from P3D and put it on a USB stick. Take the stick to a TV or computer store and the sales people will put it in a screen that you are considering and you can get a good idea what it will look like for simming. Warning, they all look great! :laugh: I just don't know if you can take a 4k screen shot if you don't already have a 4k monitor attached.

Ted 

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

@pao, I suggest you use a PPI Calculator for research. What’s PPI I hear you ask? Pixels per Inch. That will determine how sharp a resolution for any given screen size will be. Would it surprise you if I told you a 55” 4K TV will be no sharper than a 27” FullHD monitor? They both have 80 pixels per inch.

Yes, the bigger display will give far greater immersion than a smaller display but there is a trade-off in reduced sharpness. If you’re happy to accept that a 4K 55” display will not be any sharper than the smaller one then that’s the first decision made. My own BenQ 32” 16:9 UHD monitor has a PPI of 138 for comparison. I love it and feel it’s the best compromise between size and quality.

I agree LCD is a far safer choice than OLED which is only beneficial in a very dark room for its exceptional black level. LCD monitors come in three screen qualities with IPS being the best and TN the worst. VA is the middle choice. I’m not sure how TVs are graded but you MUST choose one with chroma 4:4:4 for the best text quality.

Here’s the PPI Calculator. 

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/technology/ppi-calculator.php

And to answer Ted’s point, no you can’t get a 4K screenshot from a non-4K display.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

LCD monitors are basically dumb devices, with a few exceptions. You send pixels to the screen and the monitor displays them. The video card and its driver can perform tricks like sharpening, upscaling and antialiasing to improve the picture. Most of the new OLED TVs use artificial intelligence to actually figure out what is being displayed and then improve the picture. This makes comparing a monitor and an AI TV difficult, just based on PPI. Does the AI work with video games? Honestly I have nothing technical to contribute to answering that question. But I do have a 2019 LG 65" C9 OLED TV connected to a PS4 and the quality is impressive. And the PS4 (not the PS4 Pro which can do 4K) only outputs at 1080p.

Here's a little more on OLED TVs:

https://www.techradar.com/news/heres-the-secret-behind-8k-ai-upscaling-technology

Edited by jabloomf1230

@jabloomf1230, you appear to have overlooked one extremely important difference between monitors. They are not all the same. The best such as Eizo and BenQ have IPS panels and will have image quality far higher than a cheap ‘n cheerful TN Panel. Eizo cost over a thousand pounds for the best whereas a cheap TN Panel can be bought for a couple of hundred or less. It’s the quality of the panel that determines the quality of the image you see.

The LG TV you mention costs nearly £2000 in the U.K. That’s three times what I paid for my BenQ. OLED pushes the price up significantly and it has to be treated carefully because the dangers of image retention are very real.

There may be factors other than PPI but that is a good starting point. Each person can only be guided so far. After that it’s a very personal decision as to what is most important to them.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

That model LG TV is way too big for gaming except in a big room. The 2020 LG 48" CX OLED is what people are buying for gaming.  Although burn in on OLED panels was a problem several years ago, the newer TV models from reputable brands use AI and other techniques to prevent it. If one leaves the menu of a video game on the screen for hours on end, then it is possible to cause burn in, no matter what brand of OLED TV one has.

Thanks guys for your answer.  Well, I currently use a LG 43UD79 which is a LCD 43' 4K at 3840x2160 but the idea was to have something slightly larger with deeper blacks when flying at night....    As I am also flying during day light and as I said 2 windows behind me, I was thinking the Samsung QLED 95T would be better with its anti-glare shield...  The LG 48CX would be a good choice in term of size but because of image retention and reflective display I was then considering the Q95T...as it seems it provides also deep blacks.... 55' may be an issue though....   can't decide.

too much, too soon....

@pao, if possible get some curtains to cover those windows. OLED is not as bright as LED so you need to make the room darker especially for night flying. Is it not possible to reorganise your room so the window light is not as intrusive?

Size is a purely personal thing. It sounds like you have a very large room to think about a 55". Just consider the PPI for large displays. And if you can't decide, do nothing until you can. Mistakes can be expensive.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@pao, if possible get some curtains to cover those windows. OLED is not as bright as LED so you need to make the room darker especially for night flying. Is it not possible to reorganise your room so the window light is not as intrusive?

Size is a purely personal thing. It sounds like you have a very large room to think about a 55". Just consider the PPI for large displays. And if you can't decide, do nothing until you can. Mistakes can be expensive.

Well my room is only 10 m2 so I would sit 2.6ft from the display....  I believe I should wait for the 48'...   thanks for your advise.

too much, too soon....

49 minutes ago, pao said:

Well my room is only 10 m2 so I would sit 2.6ft from the display....  I believe I should wait for the 48'...   thanks for your advise.

48" sounds much better. Keep us informed.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi,

Finally received my LG OLED CX 48'....   very very pleased...  Size is perfect for flying and image is crisp.  The dawn/night flying is a new experience and the HDR activated both from Windows and P3D brings a great atmosphere...

too much, too soon....

On 7/3/2020 at 8:26 AM, pao said:

Hi,

Finally received my LG OLED CX 48'....   very very pleased...  Size is perfect for flying and image is crisp.  The dawn/night flying is a new experience and the HDR activated both from Windows and P3D brings a great atmosphere...

and the ambient light issue mentioned in the thread?..Do you have to close the curtains?

What is it like for daytime flying?

Dave

Hi,

Have now flown a few lights with my new LG 55" OLED TV and it has taken my simming to a whole new level...it is an amazing experience..

I can certainly recommend it and no issues with ambient light.

Dave

• Like 1

Same here.

I switched from an Asus PA328Q 32'' IPS to the LG OLED48CX9LA.

What a beast 🙂

120 HZ OLED with G-Sync... downside: You need HDMI 2.1 at your GPU for full glory.

• Like 1