Sign in to follow this  
MindYerBeak

advice on more more ddr3 needed

Hi,

I have a very old machine that still runs p3d/xp11 like a champ.With moderate settings of course. It's a i7980x oc @4.2,gtx1060 6gb, (MB)asus rampage extreme II and only 6gb of ocz ddr3 1600hmz tri channel (CL7) ram.

Eventually I will build a new pc but for now I would like to add some  more ram to this thing. I read the asus mb datasheet and looks like I can get up to 24 gb of  ddr3 ram but I don't know what to do because:

-I'm no  computer expert so excuse my ignorance:

1) Datasheet says my mb is tri-channel. Does it mean I can only add 3 ram sticks ? I mean 3 x4gb/8gb sticks ? 
2) I read somewhere that if I max out the ram (If I'm not wrong 6x 4gb sticks) I would lose on perfomance or screw up the memory controller ?
3) Would I be able use 3x8gb with my mb ?
3) DDR3 ram:I would like to ask you gurus what ram (brand,mhzs and cl-lowest I found was 8 or 9- )and how many sticks to get  ?

All help appreciated,

Thanks

4 minutes ago, MindYerBeak said:

Hi,

I have a very old machine that still runs p3d/xp11 like a champ.With moderate settings of course. It's a i7980x oc @4.2,gtx1060 6gb, (MB)asus rampage extreme II and only 6gb of ocz ddr3 1600hmz tri channel (CL7) ram.

Eventually I will build a new pc but for now I would like to add some  more ram to this thing. I read the asus mb datasheet and looks like I can get up to 24 gb of  ddr3 ram but I don't know what to do because:

-I'm no  computer expert so excuse my ignorance:

1) Datasheet says my mb is tri-channel. Does it mean I can only add 3 ram sticks ? I mean 3 x4gb/8gb sticks ? 
2) I read somewhere that if I max out the ram (If I'm not wrong 6x 4gb sticks) I would lose on perfomance or screw up the memory controller ?
3) Would I be able use 3x8gb with my mb ?
3) DDR3 ram:I would like to ask you gurus what ram (brand,mhzs and cl-lowest I found was 8 or 9- )and how many sticks to get  ?

All help appreciated,

Thanks

You did well getting that OCZ RAM. A good marque. Used them on previous builds. Only ever had one failure. Pity they folded up as an IT business.

Has your motherboard 6 RAM slots in different colours, i.e, black-blue/red-black-blue/red.........in 3 pairs? If so, then your MoBo(motherboard abbrev) is a Tri-Channel RAM.

So, if you currently have 6Gb of RAM, logic would be you currently have 3x 2Gb sticks but I have no idea how you configured them with a Tri-Channel layout, as ideally it should be configured in pairs. So, Slot1=1/2Gb; Slot2=1/2Gb; Slot3=1/2Gb;Slot4=1/2Gb.

The rest of the maths you can work out but as to the other bits in your post, I am sure others will chime in

2 minutes ago, MindYerBeak said:

Slots are blue/white and sticks are in the blue ones.  3x 2gb sticks.

Thanks

By that I take it you have 3 blue+3 white slots? So, as you now have 3x2Gb sticks in those 3 blue slots, you are in a Tri-Channel configuration. To add any more RAM sticks you will have to go 3 x ABC Gb in the white slots, i.e 3x 2Gb in the white slots = a total of 12Gb.or go 6x 4Gb= total of 24Gb. As there are P3D simmers here with 32Gb rigs, I'd wager you may be okay.

As regards the latency. timings, MHz, etc, like I stated earlier, better aces than I may be able to chip in here.