Sign in to follow this  
rowcoach

How to find which AFCAD/AF2 files an airport is using

1 hour ago, johncott said:

Colin, Is this a payware scenery or a freeware scenery? if freeware, which one? Could still be an elevation issue if your CYYT scenery has a different elevation from the default.

John Cottreau 

Good morning John,

This is a payware scenery for P3D. It's from Grand Island Sim. Thank you for the suggestion on Little Nav Map. Love it !! I'm showing default terrain, ORBX AEC and ORBX APT, the default airport, and last on the list is my GIS scenery for CYYT. I have deactivated AEC, but noticed no difference. I seem to recall there is no need to delete the apt file, but I could be mistaken there.

The pictures below show what happens when you approach the runway. Whatever it is, you drive through it instead of over it. I've contacted the developer's support page, but probably won't hera back until the new year.

7ZnKC6z.jpg

cHFPHyl.jpg

60jlhZA.jpg

46 minutes ago, rowcoach said:

Good morning John,

This is a payware scenery for P3D. It's from Grand Island Sim. Thank you for the suggestion on Little Nav Map. Love it !! I'm showing default terrain, ORBX AEC and ORBX APT, the default airport, and last on the list is my GIS scenery for CYYT. I have deactivated AEC, but noticed no difference. I seem to recall there is no need to delete the apt file, but I could be mistaken there.

The pictures below show what happens when you approach the runway. Whatever it is, you drive through it instead of over it. I've contacted the developer's support page, but probably won't hera back until the new year.

7ZnKC6z.jpg

cHFPHyl.jpg

60jlhZA.jpg

I do not have the payware addon as you do, but I do have Orbx.  Something you may want to try however, assuming you have FTX Global Airports, is to go into your Orbx\FTX_GLOBAL\FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS\Scenery folder and locate the files:

ADE_FTX_FTXG_CYYT_CVX.bgl

ADE_FTX_FTXG_CYYT.bgl

FTX_FTXG_CYYT_objects.bgl

Change the extensions in those files to .off and see if your payware product works.  It looks as if you have a conflict.

Edited by medx421

1 hour ago, rowcoach said:

Good morning John,

Hi Colin,

Looking at you pics, looks like an elevation issue.  Does this scenery have an installer or do you extract the files from a zip archive?

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

@medx421 Thanks for the reply!

The first step I do before installing any new scenery is to make sure that there are no conflicting scenery files in the ORBX folders. Had that problem a couple times, so that's usually the first place I check. Anyway, the pictures I posted were after the FTX files were turned off.

Cheers,

colin

6 minutes ago, johncott said:

Hi Colin,

Looking at you pics, looks like an elevation issue.  Does this scenery have an installer or do you extract the files from a zip archive?

That was what I was wondering. It comes with it's own installer.

39 minutes ago, rowcoach said:

That was what I was wondering. It comes with it's own installer.

Does the installer give you a option where to install the files? Where did you install them?

First of all make sure in your scenery library settings that GIS CYYT in higher than your ORBX scenery, you can probably put it near the top. From my experience, the smaller the coverage of a scenery, the higher up it should be.

Next, check the following In the root folder of your P3D there will be a "scenery" folder and in that folder there will be a "world" folder, then a Scenery folder. In this "world/scenery" folder there may be a bgl file with CYYT in the name.  There should also be ALT in the name. This file will override the default elevation. Please note the default airport elevation will always override any addon elevation, unless this file exists or the addon has made changes to the default files.  I'm not farmilar with this scenery so I'm speculating. If you cannot find this file then check in the folder where you install CYYT and see if it is there.  If this file does exist and it is not in the Scenery/world folder, I would move it there and see what happens, you can always move it back.  Again, I'm only speculating. 

If I have over simplified this, I apologize, I do not know you level of expertise with the FSX/P3D file structure and computers.

Cheers,

John Cottreau

Edited by johncott

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

Hey John,

No need to apologize for dumbing it down for me. I'm learning as I go. I've looked for an elevation correction file in scenery/world/scenery for CYYT, but there isn't one. I could make one using ADE, but I wouldn't know what to correct it to. I feel that there should be one as I've run into this issue with other airports, but no such luck.

I'll keep looking to see if I have missed something.

Cheers,

colin

3 minutes ago, rowcoach said:

Hey John,

No need to apologize for dumbing it down for me. I'm learning as I go. I've looked for an elevation correction file in scenery/world/scenery for CYYT, but there isn't one. I could make one using ADE, but I wouldn't know what to correct it to. I feel that there should be one as I've run into this issue with other airports, but no such luck.

I'll keep looking to see if I have missed something.

Cheers,

colin

I have gone far as I can, if you do get a solution or answer please share for the next person. The only other thing I can recommend is to do a search for the elevation correction file and see if it ended up somewhere else?

Far as dumbing it down, the next person reading this may be completely new to computers and flight sims and they will hopefully understand it.

I have also had issue with elevations. Downloaded some nice freeware scenery created with ADE and they forgot to include the elevation correction file with their upload.  The main issue, ADE does indicate that the elevation has been change, but does not tell it has created a file in a different folder (World/Scenery folder) from the other files ADE has created for that airport.

Good Luck,

John C.

• Like 1

John C.

Hey John,

Thank you for your time today. The only way I have learned is through trial and error and by checking the forums such as this one. I'm going to try to make my own elevation correction using ADE to see if that helps. I'll be sure to post on here once I get it figured out.

Cheers,

colin

Quick update. 

There is a file in the scenery folder that acts the same as a CVX.bgl. Deactivating terr_CYYT.bgl fixed the elevation issues I was having. 

When I hear back from the developer, I’ll let them know that deactivating this file should make it compatible with ORBX. 

Cheers,

colin