Sign in to follow this  
eXpress48

Questions regarding ATC Procedures

Hello,

I'm new to VATSIM and currently preparing for my first IFR Flight. Regarding ATC Procedures, the VATSIM Pilot Resource Centre lists the order of Controllers that you need to contact as followed:

When departing an airport and deciding who to contact look for controllers in the following order:
1.DEL (clearance delivery)
2.GND
3.TWR
4.APP
5.CTR

https://www.vatsim.net/pilot-resource-centre/general-lessons/airport-atc-procedures-cd-gnd-twr

So let's say, I fly from LSZH to EGLL and there is only a controller for "LSZH_APP" right now. From the statement above, this controller would also serve Delivery, Ground, Tower, Approach/Departure.

My question now is, do I only need to tune the Frequency for LSZH Approach and DEL, GND, TWR, APP/DEP would be handled on this single frequency or does the Controller handle every single station (DEL, GND, TWR, APP/DEP) on their dedicated frequency?

From what I read, after Departure, the Controller would hand me off to UNICOM (122.800), when there is no Radar/Center or Enroute (Eurocontrol) Controller. As soon as there is a Controller and I'm on UNICOM, they would contact me via a "Contact me on xx.xxx" private message in vPilot. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Edited by eXpress48

The Controller handles every station on their dedicated frequency so when you make initial contact you need to emphasis (clearly state) which station you're trying to get hold of.

If you're on unicom and a controller comes online in your airspace, they may privately contact you or even announce in unicom if its not busy but dont assume they will. You need to keep tabs on the list of controllers and make contact as appropriate.

• Like 1

Different frequencies for each controller.  Also, in Europe there is also Eurocontrol above 24500 ft.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.