Sign in to follow this  
swa46184

Does FSUIPC5 work for PMDG NGXu

I would like to transition to the NGXu. I have a JetMax B737 TQ. that uses FSUIPC5.  What issues if any exist with FSUIPC5 and PMDG NGXu

I don't have any trouble using FSUIPC with the NGXu. That doesn't mean much, but there you go.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

2 hours ago, swa46184 said:

I would like to transition to the NGXu. I have a JetMax B737 TQ. that uses FSUIPC5.  What issues if any exist with FSUIPC5 and PMDG NGXu

I also use a JetMax B737TQ with FSUIPC5 and the PMDG NGXu.  It works perfectly because the JetMax doesn't use any software.  It is plug-and-play, so it doesn't know any difference.

I also have the Flightdeck Solutions 737 CDU and the Virtual Avionics MCP/EFIS and cannot use either with the NGXu because the developers are dragging their feet updating the software that operates the units.  Very frustrating...

If Virtual Avionics doesn't get some compatible software soon, I may sell the units and buy CP Flight's versions.  They already work with the NGXu.

CP Flight MCP/EFIS

My Flightdeck Solutions CDU partly works.  The keys work, but the screen doesn't work at all.

Edited by signmanbob

The NGXu manual (page 22) says that the NGXu "is fully compatible" with FSUIPC, with one (big) exception--they recommend that "...you do not calibrate your flight controllers through FSUIPC."

I've gotten around this limitation with a number of add-ons by having my control axes set a value to an FSUIPC offset, and a small utility I wrote in C++ takes those values, processes them as needed (e.g. calibration, auto-sync for throttles, custom dead zones for aileron/elevator/rudder based on autopilot state etc) and then re-injects them as raw hardware inputs using a virtual joystick driver called vJoy.  The sim sees vJoy as another hardware device, and the vJoy axes are assigned in the sim.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2 hours ago, signmanbob said:

I also use a JetMax B737TQ with FSUIPC5 and the PMDG NGXu.  It works perfectly because the JetMax doesn't use any software.  It is plug-and-play, so it doesn't know any difference.

I also have the Flightdeck Solutions 737 CDU and the Virtual Avionics MCP/EFIS and cannot use either with the NGXu because the developers are dragging their feet updating the software that operates the units.  Very frustrating...

If Virtual Avionics doesn't get some compatible software soon, I may sell the units and buy CP Flight's versions.  They already work with the NGXu.

CP Flight MCP/EFIS

My Flightdeck Solutions CDU partly works.  The keys work, but the screen doesn't work at all.

Virtual Avionics issued an update to their interface about a week ago. While I haven’t flown a flight yet, all seems well in my testing with the NGXu. 

Edited by ESzczesniak

Eric Szczesniak

3 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

Virtual Avionics issued an update to their interface about a week ago. While I haven’t flown a flight yet, all seems well in my testing with the NGXu. 

Thank you Eric. Sounds good. I'll go and download it. They were supposed to email me when they updated the software. If they had, I wouldn't be bad-mouthing them. 🙂

Thank you,

Bob

6 hours ago, w6kd said:

The NGXu manual (page 22) says that the NGXu "is fully compatible" with FSUIPC, with one (big) exception--they recommend that "...you do not calibrate your flight controllers through FSUIPC."

I've gotten around this limitation with a number of add-ons by having my control axes set a value to an FSUIPC offset, and a small utility I wrote in C++ takes those values, processes them as needed (e.g. calibration, auto-sync for throttles, custom dead zones for aileron/elevator/rudder based on autopilot state etc) and then re-injects them as raw hardware inputs using a virtual joystick driver called vJoy.  The sim sees vJoy as another hardware device, and the vJoy axes are assigned in the sim.

I calibrate my JetMax 737 through FSUIPC and it seems to work fine.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, signmanbob said:

I calibrate my JetMax 737 through FSUIPC and it seems to work fine.

Well, your specific relevant experience trumps an excerpt out of the PMDG docs!

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I have this hardware:

1. Brunner Yoke. PMDG 737NGX works perfectly. PMDG NGXu only basis but force feedback and didn't follow the AP

2. CPflight MCP and other panels PMDG 737NGX - works perfectly. PMDG NGXu nothing works

3. Cockpitforyou TQv4 PMDG NGX works perfectly. PMDG NGXu nothing works

PMDG NGXu is waiting in the hangar for modifacities from PMDG and/or the hardware suppliers. Each hardware supplier is informed
Regards

10 hours ago, signmanbob said:

Thank you Eric. Sounds good. I'll go and download it. They were supposed to email me when they updated the software. If they had, I wouldn't be bad-mouthing them. 🙂

Thank you,

Bob

It didn’t seem overly well advertised. I only found it because I got in a habit of checking once a week or so. 

Also not well advertised was they finally have a mount for the MCP/EFIS!  Waiting for mine to ship from Brazil, but will be a world better than my Jerry rigged contraption. 

Otherwise my hardware is simple Saitek throttle and Honeycomb yoke, all set through FSUIPC and all is working fine. 

I have been eyeing either the CP flight or FDS CDU and a Saitek radio panel to round out a small home cockpit for the NG. Always though I’d make a full home pit, but VR seems to be changing that game for me. 

Eric Szczesniak

6 hours ago, Jovabra said:

...3. Cockpitforyou TQv4 PMDG NGX works perfectly. PMDG NGXu nothing works...

I’m hoping this one is updated, but have been left less than thrilled with their support. I have an old V2 version still on Ethernet. It worked, but lots of teething problems and had to sort them out heavily on my own. It’s largely been relegated to the hanger even before the NGXu. Leaves me hoping/wanting a good simpler solution that can be used as a simple game controller and setup in sim. 

Eric Szczesniak

Thanks to everyone who responded. Really appreciate your input. I will move forward and purchase PMDG NGXu!!!!

On 12/30/2019 at 6:03 PM, signmanbob said:

One workaround on the FDS CDU is to load the NGX, start the software, then switch to the NGXu. 
Despite the warnings about loading a complex aircraft over another, I haven't had any issues. 
I'm a bit disappointed FDS can't find time to help their existing customers, but at least this workaround keeps the CDU from being a bookend. 

My VRinsight 737 overhead is in worse shape. VRi won't even respond to questions and another source heard his straight answer was no planned support. Another $1000 piece of hardware obsoleted by lack of enthusiasm by the OEM. 

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

That's the problem spending money on hardware that is made for specific aircraft. You end up loosing your money because of the developer's lack of interest.

I'll try your suggestion.  Thank you.