Sign in to follow this  
KFXE

Strange or Corrupt Sky Over Rio De Janeiro

Not sure what's going on here......

Any advice?  Approximately 7:00pm local time

v6SJZLz.jpg

Edited by KFXE

Somebody's Milky Way is corrupt.  May I suggest a Snickers, instead!  I actually do have an answer if need be! 😉

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

16 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Somebody's Milky Way is corrupt.  May I suggest a Snickers, instead!  I actually do have an answer if need be! 😉

Need Be.....

Please do.

Edited by KFXE

Really wasn't kidding about the Milky Way!  In your FSX/Scenery/Global/Texture folder are 2 files.  milkyway.dds and milkyway_lm.dds.  There is a corruption in one or both that cause this problem.  Now the fun part....Go to your pristine installation of FSX that you have (should have)on a flash drive in case of corrupted files and copy/paste those in place of your bad files.

You can also Google search "FSX Milky Way" and some folks have made new textures to replace the default ones.

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thank you !

I had no idea what the problem was.  What if I don't have a pristine installation on any other drive?

But having read about the problem......it seems the MilkyWay problem is related to the way the night sky looks and stars?

Is that related to the big bars I'm seeing in the sunsetting Sky over Rio De Janeiro  as shown in my image?

OTOH...you said it was related to this issue....so I guess it is.  Thanks again.

PS....did I mention I have FSX installed on two different computers and they BOTH do the exact same thing?

Edited by KFXE

Any chance you have an addon scenery for Rio De Janerio affecting both installations?

Charlie Aron

7 hours ago, charliearon said:

Any chance you have an addon scenery for Rio De Janerio affecting both installations?

Hi Charliearon,

I suppose it's possible.  I'll try disabling ALL add-ons next.

Thanks again

I disabled ALL Add-On scenery.  Still there.   I wonder if maybe everyone else would see it if they also went to Rio De Janeiro MAP coordinates......

Latitude S22 54 30

Longitude W43 9 87

Altitude +15

Heading 290

Airspeed 0

SUMMER, Day, 18:46PM

How does it look after dark?

I started a flight at the main International airport in Rio De Janeiro and testing from 1700 to 2000 hrs, the sky is beautiful and normal looking.

Charlie Aron

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

How does it look after dark?

I started a flight at the main International airport in Rio De Janeiro and testing from 1700 to 2000 hrs, the sky is beautiful and normal looking.

It does not occur at that airport on my systems either.

ONLY at the exact MAP coordinates and settings I posted above.

From 18:10 hours until 19:24

The Last 10 minutes are quite a show actually 😎

Edited by KFXE

3 minutes ago, KFXE said:

It does not occur at that airport on my systems either.

ONLY at the exact MAP coordinates and settings I posted above.

OK, you show an airport in your first screenshot?  Which one?

Charlie Aron

6 minutes ago, charliearon said:

OK, you show an airport in your first screenshot?  Which one?

See post above.   I gave exact Map coordinates to make it super easy  🙂  

But it's the airport on the bay....downtown.  You need to be at runway 22L facing 290 degrees heading (facing downtown)  Santos Dumont SBRJ

Here they are again......

Latitude S22 54 30

Longitude W43 9 87

Altitude +15

Heading 290

Airspeed 0

From 18:10 hours until 19:24

Edited by KFXE

OK, here are the shots I took using your exact coordinates, time, and heading.  Looks fine to me!

RIO.jpg

RIO1.jpg

RIO2.jpg

Charlie Aron

Ok.  Thanks for checking.

Hmmmmm.....

Not sure how I could have the exact same abberation on two completely different systems.

I have FSX Deluxe......what version are you using?

Oh...just realized...I never installed Service Pack 1 or 2 on either system.  I wonder if that could be it?

Edited by KFXE