Sign in to follow this  
KFXE

Strange or Corrupt Sky Over Rio De Janeiro

No SP1 or SP2??  Not a good thing!  I am running FSX Standard edition with both SPs installed.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Maybe that accounts for it.  I'll upgrade one install and report back.

Thanks for all the help Charliearon.

Happy New Yer !

Installation of SP1 seemed to go with no issues.   But now when I start FSX it "looks" like I have the Steam Version?

All I ever purchased was the Deluxe Edition.

After Googling it and searching this forum for about 10 minutes, I can't find a way to identify the version currently installed.  I went to Windows > Settings > Installed APPs > Microsoft Flight Simulator but all that it said there was a version number?  10.0.61355.0

WOW!

The bars in the sky are still there.......but the GRASS....it looks a LOT different?   MUCH more like REAL grass.   I like.

Have not yet done SP2

Edited by KFXE

IGNORE what it says on the FSX home page!  You do not have FSX Steam Edition.  The home page is useless.

In your settings you can change your starting screen to the free flight screen.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hmmmmm.......

Now that I've installed SP1 my old trusty Cockpit view is gone?

It was the view that gave unobstructed view 360 and straight down.   Now that view is from the left seat and I see the door frame and can't look straight down.

PLEASE tell me they didn't do away with the totally unobstructed view????

From the 2D cockpit view hit w key twice for the unobstructed view.  Look down??  Checking out your pedicure?

Charlie Aron

11 minutes ago, charliearon said:

From the 2D cockpit view hit w key twice for the unobstructed view.  Look down??  Checking out your pedicure?

Pedicure?  Dude...please.   Looking down as you fly over terrain is what EVERYONE does.  Especially over airports.   You being a wise guy?

So, is it different than it was before SP1....cause....I've been doing that for maybe 10 years? 

There is no longer an unobstructed view.  WT ?

When I'm in 2D cockpit view, the view is EXACTLY identical to as if I were sitting in an actual Cessna 172.   (yes, I'm a licensed pilot, I know what it looks like)  haha

Something is messed up.  Tried exiting and restarting FSX...no good.

Edited by KFXE

Nope...checked my other computer.   ViewMode > Cockpit > Cockpit

Gives me full 360 unobstructed view and straight down view......

NOT on the computer with FSX where I just installed SP1.

Edited by KFXE

And...did you hit the w key twice?

Charlie Aron

14 minutes ago, charliearon said:

And...did you hit the w key twice?

Yes, makes no difference.

the W key simply cycles the view of the instrument panel.  When there are no instruments showing at all....that is normally what I call the unobstructed view.  When I look left and right I see no aircraft parts at all.  Looking down (5 key on the keypad) give me a straight down view as if Im floating in mid air.

It still works normally on the NON SP1 updated computer.

But no longer on the one updated to SP1. 

On the one now updated to SP1, if I start at the 1st cockpit 2D view with the full panel showing, then press the w button once, I get a larger close up view of the Instrument panel.Then if I press it again, I get a smaller view minus all the switches at the bottom.

This is the EXACT view I get now on the SP1 computer when I press w until there are no instruments showing at all.

I'm going to try rebooting the computer now to see if that helps.

Edited by KFXE

@KFXE You should be running SP2 at minimum for the extra fixes that were included. After you install SP2, reboot the computer you should back up your FSX.cfg and let FSX generate a new one as well as flush your shader cache. That sky view issue looks like something I once had and fixed by flushing the shader cache and letting FSX generate a new one.

BTW, SP2 is almost mandatory for any 3rd party addons you may want to use with FSX, not to mention then fixes it includes.

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On 1/5/2020 at 1:31 AM, cmpbellsjc said:

@KFXE You should be running SP2 at minimum for the extra fixes that were included. After you install SP2, reboot the computer you should back up your FSX.cfg and let FSX generate a new one as well as flush your shader cache. That sky view issue looks like something I once had and fixed by flushing the shader cache and letting FSX generate a new one.

BTW, SP2 is almost mandatory for any 3rd party addons you may want to use with FSX, not to mention then fixes it includes.

Thanks,

I finally patched my FSX with SP 1 and Sp 2.

I don't see a whole lot of difference but I did lose my unobstructed views.  Fortunately, a very good post in a thread here showed my how to get those views back.

(I could not enjoy FSX without them)  🙂