Sign in to follow this  
AndrejS

MegasceneryEarth where no Orbx available

1 hour ago, klamal said:

As you've probably figured out by now, ScenProc and Ortho4XP are two different types of tools.  Actually, you can use them together.  Ortho4XP will use ScenProc to generate autogen when it creates the photoreal tiles.  So, ScenProc generates autogen.  Ortho4XP generates photoreal tiles(and autogen if you choose to use ScenProc with it).  Hope that makes sense.

So, if i understand it correctly, if need be (like creating an inexistent scenery), the two packages can be used together (obviously by setting an option to create AG to Scenproc). Since Ortho was originally meant for XP, it does the job rather slowly, so i'll just keep using Scenproc to the point, where the result will be better than it is now. And then, equipped with the new "powerfull computer", i might try them together. 

Win 7 Home (SP1), i7 2600@3.4, RAM 16gb, gtx 1080 Ti, ssd disks, DELL U2715H

P3d ver 4.5.12.30293, TrackIr v5, T16000M + TWCS

3 minutes ago, AndrejS said:

So, if i understand it correctly, if need be (like creating an inexistent scenery), the two packages can be used together (obviously by setting an option to create AG to Scenproc). Since Ortho was originally meant for XP, it does the job rather slowly, so i'll just keep using Scenproc to the point, where the result will be better than it is now. And then, equipped with the new "powerfull computer", i might try them together. 

Yeah, it can take a while depending on the area that you're trying to create the scenery for and the amount of data available.  The more data, the longer the process will take.  For me, I usually generate 4 tiles at a time and they take anywhere between 1 to 5 hours to complete all 4 tiles.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

1 hour ago, klamal said:

- I'm not exactly sure what you want to check in the osm file, but QGIS is a good program to view what's there, if not the best.  You can view objects' attributes to see what would be generated by ScenProc.  Though this will depend on the way you set up ScenProc too.  I believe you can also see that same info here too: https://www.openstreetmap.org/  (This is where ScenProc gets the OSM data to begin with).

- You can preview the bgl/agn files using TMF Viewer and/or the Autogen Annotator from the P3D SDK

- I think you can set the OSM layers you want to download.  And even down to the features.  If not via the website, I know you can via QGIS.  I don't know that you need to do that though as ScenProc will just filter out what it needs like you say, building/vegetation.  So you're just making it more complicated on yourself I think.  🙂

- I think you can do this via ScenProc but I've never tried myself.  Worst case, if you really wanted to specify a specific object, you can go back in and use the Autogen Annotator tool from the SDK that I mention above.

Thanks, that's a lot of useful info, i might start searching for my lost spare time, cause i can see that it will plummet down starting as of now. 

1 hour ago, klamal said:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/  (This is where ScenProc gets the OSM data to begin with).

Yeah, but the site doesn't export more than 50000 nodes, so not even the Nantucket island (my test case) is doable. The other option could be the https://download.geofabrik.de/index.html, but you can only get the whole country info. I don't know how to extract the area of interest from the whole data package, but i will eventually find that info too. 

4 hours ago, AndrejS said:

Yeah, but the site doesn't export more than 50000 nodes, so not even the Nantucket island (my test case) is doable. The other option could be the https://download.geofabrik.de/index.html, but you can only get the whole country info. I don't know how to extract the area of interest from the whole data package, but i will eventually find that info too. 

Oh, Ok.  I see what you're trying to do.  This is where you may need QGIS again.  You can download the geofabrik files for the whole country and then "cut out" the parts that you're interested in into a new OSM file and go from there.

Edit: You may even be able to just use QGIS straight away to download the area you're interested in, bypassing using geofabrik.  I think this might be your best path.

Edited by klamal

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Is there a way to use ScenProc with PR Bgl files? In other words, we do not have the original PR files...

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

There is some very nice Canary Island PR as freeware...but no autogen.

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

6 minutes ago, flyblueskies said:

Is there a way to use ScenProc with PR Bgl files? In other words, we do not have the original PR files...

ScenProc does not need any pre-existing bgl.  It is just generating autogen based on OSM.  That's it.  Once you generate the agn files, you can use them with any photoreal tiles by placing the agn files in the /texture folder of the photoreal scenery(which would have its' bgl files in the /scenery folder)

<photoreal base scenery folder>/scenery - bgl files go here.  These can be from anywhere.  I.e. MSE, some other source, or generated your self.

<photoreal base scenery folder>/texture - agn files go here.  These would be what's generated by ScenProc.

So, if I'm understanding this statement "we do not have the original PR files" correctly, you don't have PR files, you will need to generate them too.  So you'd want to use Ortho4XP(w/ ScenProc for autogen)

Edited by klamal

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

10 hours ago, klamal said:

Yes to the Orbx scenery question.  As for no scenery but default, I'm not sure if that can be done. You could try and create a scenery folder(with the /scenery and /texture subfolders) and just place the agn in the /texture and add to P3D and see if it works.  But I think it needs .bgl w/ it.  I could be wrong though.

Using the TMFViewer and worldlc.bgl, i can get the tile to put the area agn in (theoretically, haven't tried it yet). Slovenia is folder Scenery\0601, file XXX51150.bgl (XXX = ATX. OBX, CVX, BRX,....)

10 hours ago, klamal said:

- You can preview the bgl/agn files using TMF Viewer and/or the Autogen Annotator from the P3D SDK

Well,

ATX can be opened/previewed using ADE,

CVX, DEM using TFMViewer,

but for OBX (objects) i still haven't found the program. TFMV just complains that it's unable to open file. I guess it's the "But both the BGLAnalyze and TMFViewer expect that the scenery has been designed and compiled in FS standard format. Many addon scenery designers will make their product so that it is a bit different - to prevent people decompiling the scenery and 'borrowing' their work."

Edited by AndrejS
link added

On 1/6/2020 at 9:27 PM, klamal said:

Oh, Ok.  I see what you're trying to do.  This is where you may need QGIS again.  You can download the geofabrik files for the whole country and then "cut out" the parts that you're interested in into a new OSM file and go from there.

Edit: You may even be able to just use QGIS straight away to download the area you're interested in, bypassing using geofabrik.  I think this might be your best path.

Kevin, 

how do i "cut out" OSM "interesting" layers into a new and smaller OSM (shp?) file. I've downloaded the Puerto Rico osm and don't want to work on the whole 66MB of data. I've chosen 20 layers in QGIS (not just landuse and buildings, having others can help make a better agn since one can make agn based on more data) and now i don't know how to export this into a new file (osm/shp/??). I know, searching for an answer helps learning the new tool, but ... 

Thanks for your support,

Ok, found the tutorial (it's not most up-to-date, but it serves the purpose), saved the data in SHP files. Now it's time for Scenproc to do what it does best, make autogen. 

Edited by AndrejS

Ok, first step taken with excellent results (Puerto Rico has some problems with GIS data, so a lot of vegetation missing and some of the residential areas floating in the air, but all in all, i'm happy with the created AG). If i look back, last week i had no knowledge about AG and no real will to do anything about it and now, i still have almost no AG creation knowledge, but have made AG for two areas, results are satisfying, so i'm in for something more. And by the way, it took 40 minutes to create the AG for Puerto Rico using SHP data. Would it have taken more if i had used the OSM data? I read that SHP is more appropriate for AG creation since it's less complex. 

New questions :

Is SHP format really so poorly cultivated with GIS data or is it Puerto Rico's lack of data?

Although, created AG is fine, i'd like to make some corrections to it. With Annotator, one can only open xml and spb files so question about the program for manually editing the AG is still open. 

14 hours ago, AndrejS said:

Ok, first step taken with excellent results (Puerto Rico has some problems with GIS data, so a lot of vegetation missing and some of the residential areas floating in the air, but all in all, i'm happy with the created AG). If i look back, last week i had no knowledge about AG and no real will to do anything about it and now, i still have almost no AG creation knowledge, but have made AG for two areas, results are satisfying, so i'm in for something more. And by the way, it took 40 minutes to create the AG for Puerto Rico using SHP data. Would it have taken more if i had used the OSM data? I read that SHP is more appropriate for AG creation since it's less complex. 

New questions :

Is SHP format really so poorly cultivated with GIS data or is it Puerto Rico's lack of data?

Although, created AG is fine, i'd like to make some corrections to it. With Annotator, one can only open xml and spb files so question about the program for manually editing the AG is still open. 

Hello Andre.  Sorry, I wasn't around my computer much this weekend so I didn't see your other question about "cutting out" the OSM data from the shp files.  It sounds like you figured it out though.

As for the manually editing AG, do you mean editing the actual 3d AG objects that you see in the sim?  Or do you mean the placement(geographically) of these 3d objects?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

8 hours ago, klamal said:

Hello Andre.  Sorry, I wasn't around my computer much this weekend so I didn't see your other question about "cutting out" the OSM data from the shp files.  It sounds like you figured it out though.

As for the manually editing AG, do you mean editing the actual 3d AG objects that you see in the sim?  Or do you mean the placement(geographically) of these 3d objects?

Yea, that was figured out and now i want to do both editing/previewing the ag objects as well as placing them to agn files where they're missing. Autogen Annotator covers both i guess. It seems strange that there's no YT tutorials if this is the package to use, only this by LHSimulations

On 1/13/2020 at 12:43 AM, AndrejS said:

Ok, first step taken with excellent results (Puerto Rico has some problems with GIS data, so a lot of vegetation missing and some of the residential areas floating in the air, but all in all, i'm happy with the created AG).

I'm sure everyone interested in building his own AG already knows it, but the lack of vegetation (or sparsity of it) can be overcome by using rectangular instead of polygon shaped vegetation. Of course, you won't get trees where there were none using polygons, it only increases the density. Tried it on my Puerto Rico and it make a huge difference. Ok, sometimes the tree coverage even gets a bit over exaggerated, but more is always better than less. 

On 1/2/2020 at 4:09 PM, Benjamin J said:

As an additional plug, you might be interested in the sceneries Matthias is generating for Africa, as well as parts of Europe. If you go to the Showroom forum at the FSDeveloper forums, you will find a Project Africa topic, detailing his more recent advances for Africa. These sceneries are incredible and FREE. Photoscenery plus full autogen, base don scripts that work in much the same was as IO outlined above (Indeed! you do NOT need to be a payware developer to make something like this!). I also have the scenery he did for Belgium, which is really very nice and blends surprisngly well with OrbX's TE NL. But, of course not seasons...

Oh man Benjamin, it's like coming into toy shop on a Xmas eve. What Matthias is doing is just crazy, he puts so much energy into his projects and helps others willing to learn. Something to read this weekend.