Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

Let it snow! Official snow season in MSFS

45 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Is that even info that you can get from weather services?

Yes!  

It was mentioned a while back after the weather discovery video, that the source MS/ASOBO is using for their weather data is MeteoBlue.  MeteoBlue has estimated snow depth maps.  They also have detailed cloud type maps.  I strongly recommend checking out their website.  Some cool thing on there concerning weather.

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather-maps/princeton_united-states-of-america_5102922?variable=precipitation3h_cloudcover_pressure&level=surface&lines=none&mapcenter=40.3487N-74.6590&zoom=6

22-FCB447-3-FAE-45-C2-BB9-B-8974004-A962

The best part — It’s no longer reliant on just METARs.  The data is available across the entire planet using this source.  Even detailed cloud data over oceans, as well as maps detailing wave/swell heights and sea/lake ice coverage worldwide!  It’s possibly the coolest thing about the new sim. The options are endless for MS/ASOBO with data like this.  Don’t be surprise if we see icebergs floating around in the release candidate!

Edited by ual763
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, ual763 said:

Yes!  

It was mentioned a while back after the weather discovery video, that the source MS/ASOBO is using for their weather data is MeteoBlue. 

Ah that’s very cool

Edited by 188AHC
Pruned long quote

Come on Fellows, a little help here. 

Please stop quoting long quotes. Generally the first paragraph is all that's needed. 

Again, this hurts members with slow internet or data caps. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

P3D and XPlane are dead, buried, deceased, lifeless, cold, departed, stiff, bereft of life, bought the farm, cadaverous, checked out, defunct, done for, erased, expired, extinct, gone, gone to meet their maker, gone to their reward, liquidated, mortified, out of their misery, passed away, perished, pushing up daisies, and resting in peace. They led a good life.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

One of my first flights will be from the Alaska mainland out over the Aleutian Islands to Adak.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

23 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

Please stop quoting long quotes.

Sorry for going a bit off topic with this reply, but for what it's worth, bandwidth is a non-issue in this case. The images and ads on this site, relatively speaking, use far more bandwidth than any reply ever will.

As an example, saving this page and its content to my desktop results in a roughly 2.6 MB folder. The HTML that makes up your reply is 240 bytes (0.00024 MB) I think the bigger issue with quoting an entire post is that it just makes topics obnoxious to read, which I can totally understand.

• Like 17
  • Upvote 2

Brandon Filer

4 minutes ago, HughesMDflyer4 said:

Sorry for going a bit off topic with this reply, but for what it's worth, bandwidth is a non-issue in this case. The images and ads on this site, relatively speaking, use far more bandwidth than any reply ever will.

As an example, saving this page and its content to my desktop results in a roughly 2.6 MB folder. The HTML that makes up your reply is 240 bytes (0.00024 MB) I think the bigger issue with quoting an entire post is that it just makes topics obnoxious to read, which I can totally understand.

I was just writing essentially the same thing. Even including images in a reply is no big deal unless you're using the world's dumbest browser. There is plenty of other bloat included on these pages (eg javascript that is not minified and full of comments).

The only thing that needs changing is a tiny piece of CSS that sets a maximum height to the quote block. Much easier to change 1 piece of code than it is to try and change the behaviour of every human.

• Like 3

If you watch the video closely, the snow isn't an equal blanket on the scenery, lower elevation areas get filled with snow before the higher elevation areas do.

Also wow, Chicago looks great.

They even have light snow that looks like it was blown onto the roads

1zMR21H.png

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, fppilot said:

One of my first flights will be from the Alaska mainland out over the Aleutian Islands to Adak.

I might have to do the same. My grandpa was there (Kiska) in 1943. I've never flown there in FS now that I think about it...

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

The internet: MSFS will not have seasons.

MSFS team: hold my beer and watch this!

Looks amazing, just one more reason I can't wait for this sim to be released!

• Like 7

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Anyone able to post a zoomed in view of the snow-covered airport? I'm on mobile and can't do it myself. Curious how they've handled runways and such.

I say, bring it on Microsoft, bring it on! 

Snow?   I'd like to go into Winter hibernation, and wake up  on a warm, sunny day to find MSFS2020 on my PC... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, B777ER said:

I imagine its fairly easy to put a layer of white over all Bing images which is just what this is. To alter Bing images for spring and autumn with browns, reds, yellows and greens is much much harder. Be surprised if we have 4 seasons.

Why so negative? Everything we have seen so far has exceeded everything the community could have hoped for just a few years back.

I am just amazed at what has come from what was essentially just an experiment.

I say thank you Microsoft and Asobo, keep amazing us, but as a previous poster said, don't  forget to release the sim while doing so.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Robin

Release date is sometime in the next 363 days. Am counting the days down!!

• Like 1

May all your landings be safe ones!

Hugh Costello - NZWN