Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

Let it snow! Official snow season in MSFS

Being someone who lives in a region that snows this is important to me. It looks incredible and I'm so excited for this.

Just imagine what the third party airport developers will be able to do with this technology.

• Like 1

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

Being someone that has never actually seen snow in real life this looks absolutely amazing.

Surely our favourite troll has nothing to say about this video.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

If you watch the video closely, the snow isn't an equal blanket on the scenery, lower elevation areas get filled with snow before the higher elevation areas do.

Also wow, Chicago looks great.

They even have light snow that looks like it was blown onto the roads

1zMR21H.png

I wonder if they used some clever AI and satellite imagery taken from cities when it has snowed and learned how the snow falls on roads, buildings and then applied it everywhere.

Edited by highflyer2020

7 hours ago, Sticky said:

if I may make a brief point....

snow isn’t a season.

thank you.

True.  Bringing snow to the sim is huge and very much welcome but seasons are much more than that, in temperate climates or tropical  regions.

My guess is Asobo wanted to send the signal than they are serious about seasons by showing something spectacular. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

French Touch! 💓

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

1 hour ago, highflyer2020 said:
5 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

If you watch the video closely, the snow isn't an equal blanket on the scenery, lower elevation areas get filled with snow before the higher elevation areas do.

Also wow, Chicago looks great.

They even have light snow that looks like it was blown onto the roads

1zMR21H.png

I wonder if they used some clever AI and satellite imagery taken from cities when it has snowed and learned how the snow falls on roads, buildings and then applied it everywhere.

This looks fantastic. I don’t think they need winter satellite imagery to work out how snow accumulates realistically. In Red Dead Redemption 2 or Star Citizen you have similar effects without the use of satellite data and they look very realistic.

The snow effects shown in the video very much remind me of those in Star Citizen. Could this be the same technology?

XC8LQdU.jpg

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

well real weather will not help me to get snow where i live, no snow at all 😉 things changed when i was a kid we had snow, tho.

so user defined weather will help me to see white christmas again, maybe or snow at the pyramides! 😅

Edited by Nedo68

Imho it totally sucks...

...that I don't have this sim on my computer yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, irrics said:

Well..  X-Plane had their window in time. 

That window has closed. 

The visuals in fs2020 will come at a cost. LM have been optimising this same code for 6 years and look how well that runs? I guess everyone has the machine to run this with all the bells and whistles and a PmDG aircraft into one of those cities without it becoming a slide show? Oh dial back the settings/features then? When you do that the gap between existing sims and fs2020 narrows considerably because of the vast array of addons available to the former. I will jump on fs2020 when it comes out as I have a new fast rig  and it does look amazing but xplane and to a lesser extent p3d will remain relatively popular for some years yet at least -particularly with those running 3+ year old PCs 

Edited by sanh

That looks even more amazing than I thought it would.  It not only looks 'plausible' but highly realistic

So glad that Asobo is tackling the snow with fresh ideas. This is why MS did the right thing in hiring a totally new team of developers, not bent to carry over one more time what they knew best.

One thing sorely missing in FSX/P3D until now is the highly reflective nature of snow, even under an overcast. We have are textures, no shining back. That makes snowy sceneries dull, somewhat unrealistic. I suppose PBR will help here. It seems so watching the video.

Also, one of the big flaw of the FSX/P3D sceneries is the border between snowed and non snowed areas, the infamous shotgun scatter of snow that we have seen unimaginatively transported from FSX to all versions of P3D. I look forward to see how FS20 will look like.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Yes, the snow does look great but has anyone thought about the downside? What happens in real life when 10" (25cm) of snow is dumped on an airport overnight? Nothing moves until the snow ploughs have done their job.

Imagine if ground friction was affected and it wasn't possible for your aircraft to move. And how do you know where the taxiways and runways are if everything is white? Making it as real as it gets could bring a whole new set of problems we haven't considered. :wink:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 minutes ago, sanh said:

I will jump on fs2020 when it comes out as I have a new fast rig but xplane and to a lesser extent p3d will remain relatively popular for some years yet at least -particularly with those running 3+ year old PCs 

That is the way it has always been.  It was at least two years before FSX became mainstream due to appalling performance issues and lack of content.  The difference being that, right out of the box, this is a flyable sim with a seemingly good selection of GA aircraft at least.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

And how do you know where the taxiways and runways are if everything is white? Making it as real as it gets could bring a whole new set of problems we haven't considered. :wink:

Another gap for GSX to fill. 

3 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Another gap for GSX to fill. 

I guess you mean snow ploughs plus a wait of several hours whilst they clear the taxiways and runways. And all inbounds will be forced to divert or face crashing on landing. Microsoft could make this really bad if they had a mind to. Be careful what you wish for! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather