Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

Let it snow! Official snow season in MSFS

I am still not convinced by it to be honest. I tried zooming in some more and switching between them quickly but i can't really tell. You meant those buildings on the bottom left, am i right?

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I can see it. Look at the right hand building in that clump. The roof is gradually building up snow. 

Also look at the patch of grass to the right of the buildings. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Yes, the snow does look great but has anyone thought about the downside? What happens in real life when 10" (25cm) of snow is dumped on an airport overnight? Nothing moves until the snow ploughs have done their job.

Imagine if ground friction was affected and it wasn't possible for your aircraft to move. And how do you know where the taxiways and runways are if everything is white? Making it as real as it gets could bring a whole new set of problems we haven't considered. :wink:

Oh no. The VATSIM memes this will cause. A Flight Simulator pilot sits at the holding point of a departure runway for cross the pond but becomes stuck because a metre of snow just fell on them. Meanwhile, behind them, P3D and XP pilots are cursing at each other wondering what's going on.

• Like 5

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

21 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

Can you post a screenshot of the same building before/after? Because i really can't see it and can't zoom on it on youtube

It's quite obvious in this capture from the video, zoom in on the roofs, the geometry is much more round and slightly more elevated, you can tell with both the geometry and the shadows:

csidxLx.png

This is much more than just painting the textures white.

Edited by divide
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I am thankful that they implemented this and now and I am happy with Summer and Hard Winter seasons alone, I could live with these two alone, but this beats my and probably many people's expectations. Now, what are they going to work on in the remaining 10 years of product life if things are so perfect 🙂 ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Siggy Schwarz

15 minutes ago, divide said:

It's quite obvious in this capture from the video, zoom in on the roofs, the geometry is much more round and slightly more elevated, you can tell with both the geometry and the shadows:

csidxLx.png

This is much more than just painting the textures white.

Thanks, on this one it does look more like a vertical accumulation indeed unless it is some kind of unrelated artifact.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

26 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

I am still not convinced by it to be honest. I tried zooming in some more and switching between them quickly but i can't really tell. You meant those buildings on the bottom left, am i right?

The gradual accumulation can be seen here. This is definitely not just crossfading between images.  Especially on the saw-tooth roofs you can see how the snow first accumulates in the gaps and only then gradually covers the ridges.

q9T6sKJ.jpg

• Like 17
  • Upvote 2

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

2020 was always going to be the year I upgrade my PC.  Just waiting on the specs of this bad boy before I commit.  I don't care what it costs (don't tell the missus) but my next build is running this sim at MAX, anything else will be an injustice.  

• Like 2

Thomas Derbyshire

5 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

I don't care what it costs (don't tell the missus) but my next build is running this sim at MAX, anything else will be an injustice.  

just buy the high end, it will pay off anyway. No problems, everything on Ultra and in a few years you sell it easy for the half price anyway.

Buy today a middle class GPU (same price you get back when selling your High end) and you will never be satisfied and nobody wants to buy it in a few years 😂

sorry back to topic.... 😉

17 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

2020 was always going to be the year I upgrade my PC.  Just waiting on the specs of this bad boy before I commit.  I don't care what it costs (don't tell the missus) but my next build is running this sim at MAX, anything else will be an injustice.  

Famous words of Han Solo " never tell me the odds!"

21 hours ago, zalox said:

Look a those intersections..

https://prnt.sc/qi7ag8

The snow is not coverign at all, roads, roofs..

Others have posted images that disprove your remarks above, but I have to ask, don't you have snowplows to clear the roads where you live? Note in this image the accumulation of snow on the roof tops. Also note the snow and ice covered sidewalks on the center boulevard:

EVEFj.png

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

6 hours ago, sanh said:

The visuals in fs2020 will come at a cost. LM have been optimising this same code for 6 years and look how well that runs? I guess everyone has the machine to run this with all the bells and whistles and a PmDG aircraft into one of those cities without it becoming a slide show? Oh dial back the settings/features then? When you do that the gap between existing sims and fs2020 narrows considerably because of the vast array of addons available to the former. I will jump on fs2020 when it comes out as I have a new fast rig  and it does look amazing but xplane and to a lesser extent p3d will remain relatively popular for some years yet at least -particularly with those running 3+ year old PCs 

Some Alpha testers are allegedly reporting that it already runs better than X-Plane and FSX/P3D. And this is before they’ve started the actual optimization process.

3 months and 28,000 posts later, and as many news, interviews, on almost all simulation forums.

and come back with the same assertions, on performance, flight model, etc.

You need an extremely powerful machine to play with the 20 levels of detail and in 4K. But you can go to HD or you can take out 1 or 2 levels of detail and it runs on a 1060. 

And even in HD and with one less level of detail, and even with the few holes or artifacts here and there, nothing currently in consumer simulation comes close to this rendering.

There's nothing magical about it, just a studio that takes modern tools used in other games and applies them to a flight simulator.

A genre where nothing has really moved (or so slowly) in the last 10 years.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

I sincerely hope that each individual snowflake is unique.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png