Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

Let it snow! Official snow season in MSFS

13 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Yes, the snow does look great but has anyone thought about the downside? What happens in real life when 10" (25cm) of snow is dumped on an airport overnight? Nothing moves until the snow ploughs have done their job.

Imagine if ground friction was affected and it wasn't possible for your aircraft to move. And how do you know where the taxiways and runways are if everything is white? Making it as real as it gets could bring a whole new set of problems we haven't considered. :wink:

It would be nice if it actually could have the option to be as realistic as possible -- including different types of contamination (e.g., dry snow, wet snow, ice, slush), ground friction effects, contamination drag (both from the gear/tires moving through the contamination and the effect of the contaminant kicked up by the airplane impinging on the airplane), hydroplaning, and visibility.  But, I'm not expecting anywhere near that level of detail/realism.😀

For one thing, the realistic depiction of actual runway/taxiway conditions would mean obtaining and interpreting field condition reports for all available airfields. WIshful thinking I am sure, but maybe there could be options to either: a) download and use the current field condition report (if available) or b) designate whether snow covers the runways/taxiways/apron, and if so, provide a means to clear it (e.g., snowplows).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, cepact said:

I want to be able to take off like this in MSFS

That's the only place a takeoff like that should be attempted!

7 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That isn't solving the problem, it's avoiding it. I'm sure everyone can work out how to avoid a snow-covered airport. Everyone wants snow until it becomes inconvenient. 😂

The same goes for real life 😂 

• Like 1

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

Very nice video to say the least. I'm very happy with the new look of the new tress compared to the previous ones. However, these tress need to improve in size to match real life.

Evan

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EBanalian said:

Very nice video to say the least. I'm very happy with the new look of the new tress compared to the previous ones. However, these tress need to improve in size to match real life.

Evan

It is not only the height, it is also the kind of trees

https://www.centralparknyc.org/plants/trees

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Asobo, as for me, thank you SO much for the snowy new years present

Fly mainly in the Alps, and I for one couldnt care if there is snow trucks and the like or not,

this by itself have given you one more definate sale. 

7 hours ago, Donstim said:

It would be nice if it actually could have the option to be as realistic as possible -- including different types of contamination (e.g., dry snow, wet snow, ice, slush), ground friction effects, contamination drag (both from the gear/tires moving through the contamination and the effect of the contaminant kicked up by the airplane impinging on the airplane), hydroplaning, and visibility.  But, I'm not expecting anywhere near that level of detail/realism.😀

The video on aerodynamics at the 1’54’’ mark addresses the issue of friction on different surfaces.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

36 minutes ago, ILSFREAK said:

Asobo, as for me, thank you SO much for the snowy new years present

Fly mainly in the Alps, and I for one couldnt care if there is snow trucks and the like or not,

this by itself have given you one more definate sale. 

I am with you here. The flying in snowy conditions including the airport taxiing and landing/takeoff, is what is important to me, the airport snow management is secondary. 

Dominique

23 hours ago, filou said:

French Touch! 💓

Let’s just hope that the fine people at Asobo won’t apply the “french touch” to ATC - I’d really like it to be available 24/7 😜

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Must say I was amused to see some of the comments here earlier in the thread. 😀 Microsoft/Asobo give us awesome snow, even appearing to perhaps have depth, and suddenly excited simmers proclaim... "we have seasons! Yipeee!" 

There is of course a lot more to "seasons" than some snow on the ground. A season is of course a time of the year distinguished by special climate conditions. Every season has it's own lighting conditions, weather patterns,  seasonal foliage colour etc. So yes, it's "snow" not seasons. 😁

Must admit it looks pretty awesome though. 

8 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Must say I was amused to see some of the comments here earlier in the thread. 😀 Microsoft/Asobo give us awesome snow, even appearing to perhaps have depth, and suddenly excited simmers proclaim... "we have seasons! Yipeee!" 

There is of course a lot more to "seasons" than some snow on the ground. A season is of course a time of the year distinguished by special climate conditions. Every season has it's own lighting conditions, weather patterns,  seasonal foliage colour etc. So yes, it's "snow" not seasons. 😁

I will believe FS20 has seasons when Asobo shows us migrating ducks over Bordeaux.

• Like 1

Dominique

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

I might be wrong on this, BUT, you normally get snow in the season called Winter. Give or take. Not in the season called Summer. Normally.  Give or take. 

They just showed snow, sure... No sign of the other seasons like Spring or Fall, sure... 

But everybody that has been following the interviews and updates knows they don't want to implement any feature if it won't be completely functional. If they teased snow, it's a good sign they are working on the SEASONS, not just snow. 

The video is just a teaser, probably showing just the initial works on the feature. I'm sure we will hear more about it in the coming updates.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

Question purely out of ignorance. As you said, seasons is more than just snow on the ground. I would also assume that the snow/weather would affect the frictional coefficients for the runway/taxiways/etc. However, you stated special climate, lighting, and weather conditions. Wouldn't that all be a given with them taking real world weather data, with the exception of lighting?

52 minutes ago, Doug47 said:

I might be wrong on this, BUT, you normally get snow in the season called Winter. Give or take. Not in the season called Summer. Normally.  Give or take. 

It may surprise you to learn that a cricket match in Buxton, Derbyshire, England in June 1975 was stopped because of snow. Buxton is 1,000ft above sea level in the Peak District at 53°N. The next day it had all gone.

Easter varies from mid March to mid April and snow can fall at Easter more than at Christmas here in the UK. Just some trivia for you. 😉

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather