Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

Let it snow! Official snow season in MSFS

2 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

If MSFS is going to have accurate seasonal vegetation changes, they will have to take into account that in some places, the changes are opposite to what would normally be expected. In Southern California, wild grasses on hillsides are dry and brown in summer, and become lushly green in in late fall when the rainy season begins, and remain that way through winter.

Yep... to accurately recreate seasons worldwide, in their entirety, is a pretty complex task. 

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

No need to quote his entire post. If you like his post that’s what the heart is for. 😉

deleted. Trying to be amusing and it didn't come off. 😁

Edited by martin-w

3 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Yep... to accurately recreate seasons worldwide, in their entirety, is a pretty complex task. 

Based on available historical weather, the cloud can calculate when it last rained. Brown or green gras?

Azure knows which trees turn brown-red in autumn and have no leaves in winter. All Azure needs to do is look at the tree shape. 

45 minutes ago, martin-w said:

deleted. Trying to be amusing and it didn't come off. 😁

I know the feeling. 😀

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Yes it is.  But if ancient FSX could do it in 2006, they can do it now.  Back then they used a seasons.bgl which was made with colored pixels overlaying a map.  The sim assigned a code to each color, for example, hard winter, winter, spring, summer, fall.  So, Nicaragua, for example, could be made brown and dry from Jan to April, then green the rest of the year.   Unfortunately the default seasons.bgl left much to be desired in terms of accuracy, particularly in the areas cited (i.e. dry season areas).

As long as they build in the ability to control what season shows at a certain location at a certain time, I'm ok with it.  I think a similar overlay mechanism would be ideal, because it wouldn't take much computational power to tell the sim what season to render at a given spot.  It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

13 hours ago, martin-w said:

Lets not be disrespectful to the members of this forum just because they have a different opinion to you. 

Please prune long quotes, 

Well said!!!

Edited by 188AHC
Pruned ridiculously long quote,

Chris Camp

8 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

If MSFS is going to have accurate seasonal vegetation changes, they will have to take into account that in some places, the changes are opposite to what would normally be expected. In Southern California, wild grasses on hillsides are dry and brown in summer, and become lushly green in in late fall when the rainy season begins, and remain that way through winter.

Well if they are planning to accurately model worldwide migration patterns of avians based on seasons and time of year your  question should be a piece of cake for them!!!

Chris Camp

as a preamble, I also want a correction on central park, and I have full confidence in it for 2 reasons:
- It's an iconic place that will get its special treatment
- In interviews in September, they indicated that only an AI could treat the whole world, but that a masking system could be used to treat specific areas that needed treatment. When they say particular areas, they are talking about famous places or famous airport.

But Hype is a bad think. (sorry but it's my actual feeling...)

I think flight simulator 2020 will deliver on its promise:
- a good flight model.
- great weather
- fluid mechanics
- interactive checklists, pretty accurate cokpits...
- ATC, IFR
- a realistic world, with respect for the urban plans and cultural areas of each region. volumes and credible buildings. Basically a lost farm will have its building in the game, even if it will not be perfectly identical, it will remain credible. It is certainly with the clouds, one of the 2 biggest advances of this project.
- and features in the seasons, animals, etc...
- photogrammetic zones
- credible air and road traffic
- possibly shortly after the release of the RV

I find this set not bad, and yet even if all this will be done, there will be disappointments. Some people think for example that all plants, flowers, will be simulated everywhere in the world, and that each kind of tree will have its 4 seasons, with the right colors according to its species, the leaves that will fall, etc...

Of course this was never announced, but imagined by the public as a result of the snow video.

the best part is that some of these dreams will come true but it hasn't been announced or promised. The only thing they said was that they wanted to do things right and as close to reality as possible. but "as possible"

in short, the hype creates unrealistic expectations, and the promises start to be distorted by the utopian prism generated by all this noise. and that's a lot of disappointment and it also attracts a lot of malicious people to feed that disappointment.

Edited by azulkb
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

45 minutes ago, azulkb said:

I find this set not bad, and yet even if all this will be done, there will be disappointments.

If you seriously think all of the features in the new sim (so far) are just ”not bad”, then PC flight sims are probably not for you. This is far and away the most promising sim we’ve ever seen but as each new feature is revealed there are people nit-picking over the tiny details of things which would have been almost unimaginable, or at best poorly implemented, in other sims.

Desktop flight sims will never be as good as the real world. Even full size flight sims are not as good as the real world. However, this one seems to be much closer than anything currently available for the desktop and we should be celebrating Asobo’s achievements, not endlessly finding things to criticise in the minutiae.

• Like 4

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

3 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

If you seriously think all of the features in the new sim (so far) are just ”not bad”, then PC flight sims are probably not for you. This is far and away the most promising sim we’ve ever seen but as each new feature is revealed there are people nit-picking over the tiny details of things which would have been almost unimaginable, or at best poorly implemented, in other sims.

Desktop flight sims will never be as good as the real world. Even full size flight sims are not as good as the real world. However, this one seems to be much closer than anything currently available for the desktop and we should be celebrating Asobo’s achievements, not endlessly finding things to criticise in the minutiae.

so I misunderstood, because English isn't my natural language. I'm extremely enthusiastic about this project. And I think it's going to be very good. In French, not bad, is a humble way to express that, so as not to attract some characters again. You know who I'm referring to

Edited by azulkb
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

If you seriously think all of the features in the new sim (so far) are just ”not bad”, then PC flight sims are probably not for you. 

Not bad is a French colloquial understatement, it is like saying quite good.  

EDIT oops sorry I see that Azul already responded

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Just now, domkle said:

Not bad is a French colloquial understatement, it is like saying quite good.  

I’d argue that even “quite good” falls way short of the mark for what we’ve seen so far!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

3 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

I’d argue that even “quite good” falls way short of the mark for what we’ve seen so far!

I agree. If you look at my previous interventions on other topics, I have done a lot to defend this project.