Sign in to follow this  
Casualcas

Airports alive

12 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

GSX does that now and in all likelihood will continue to do so in MFS. What’s the point of an SDK if the core product contains all the things brought to us by third party developers?

They probably want the console version to offer an immersive sim experience as well. And as far as I know, mods and add ons are maybe a bit harder to install on consoles. Maybe that's why they put so much attention to the weather system and decent default airplanes. And maybe they will offer things like a ground crew to make taxiing and flight preparation and stuff more immersive. Thats my guess.

Regards

Felix

1 hour ago, flxwng said:

They probably want the console version to offer an immersive sim experience as well. And as far as I know, mods and add ons are maybe a bit harder to install on consoles.

A modern Xbox isn’t that much different in architecture from a Windows PC. For example Fallout 4 on XB1 (and PS4) supports mods, which are made using the PC SDK set to XB1 mode. Then they’re uploaded to Bethesda’s service, and you can then download them from in game.

If MSFS2020 on Xbox is going to support addons, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a similar process.

Though I imagine any Xbox addons would have to work with only the base game, you wouldn’t have any third party programs the Xbox.

Edited by Tuskin38

@flxwng, As a die-hard PC user I hadn't even thought about the XBox version.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Can't imagine any 'serious' simmer would be on a console the controller choices aren't there I assume.   I'm sure the decision to involve Xbox and or other consoles is just to sell more copies to folks who want to play with flying but aren't quite as dedicated as the other inmates in the asylum.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 hours ago, Noel said:

Can't imagine any 'serious' simmer would be on a console the controller choices aren't there I assume.

Keyboards, mice, joysticks and throttles are supported on the Xbox. Maybe not quite the same selection right now, but this can change if the demand is there.

40 minutes ago, goates said:

Keyboards, mice, joysticks and throttles are supported on the Xbox. Maybe not quite the same selection right now, but this can change if the demand is there.

I see.  I have to think top PC hardware still outperforms the top consoles, but who knows maybe that's not true anymore.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

23 minutes ago, Noel said:

I see.  I have to think top PC hardware still outperforms the top consoles, but who knows maybe that's not true anymore.

Consoles have come a long way. So while you probably will want a PC if you want the fastest possible hardware or the most flexibility (ie. multiple monitors, GoFlight modules and custom cockpits etc.), the next generation Xbox is looking to be quite powerful on its own. Probably somewhere in the range of what an upper mid-range PC will be when it's released. For those that just want to fly without worrying about hardware specs, drivers etc., it could be a good choice, especially as it will only cost a few hundred dollars.

8 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

GSX does that now and in all likelihood will continue to do so in MFS. What’s the point of an SDK if the core product contains all the things brought to us by third party developers?

But does GSX also take care of the GA flyers or is it only for the big commercial planes?

Imagine someone who would refule a Cessna from over its wings or doing a pushback of a tail dragger with two people !

• Upvote 1

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

On 1/2/2020 at 1:25 PM, Tuskin38 said:

I have a feeling that Airports are probably one of the last things they're working on, since they keep avoiding them in videos and screenshots.

This is my suspicion as well.

39 minutes ago, goates said:

Consoles have come a long way. So while you probably will want a PC if you want the fastest possible hardware or the most flexibility (ie. multiple monitors, GoFlight modules and custom cockpits etc.), the next generation Xbox is looking to be quite powerful on its own. Probably somewhere in the range of what an upper mid-range PC will be when it's released. For those that just want to fly without worrying about hardware specs, drivers etc., it could be a good choice, especially as it will only cost a few hundred dollars.

It will surely allow those people not previously dedicated to enjoy flight but I see the die-hards sticking w/ high end PCs going forward at least for this release of MSFS.  There may well be far more console users using MSFS in end because of ease of use and cost, but again the die hard flight sim fanatics will likely stick w/ PC it's too much a legacy thing and performance will probably be superior.  Half of who I call die hard simmers are perhaps equally die-hard hardware fanatics, eking out minuscule performance increases for substantial cost and a huge amount of hassle.  

Noel

1 hour ago, DocBird said:

But does GSX also take care of the GA flyers or is it only for the big commercial planes?

Imagine someone who would refule a Cessna from over its wings or doing a pushback of a tail dragger with two people !

I also have a PC12 and GSX can perform a pushback if requested. I just need to remember not to start the engine first. 😀

Refuelling can also be requested but you don’t see the fuel pipe connected to the aircraft. But things can always be improved. GSX is under continuous improvement.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Unless MSFS includes this which we will find out later,  I have no donuts that GSX will develop for it. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

16 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Then I guess Asobo best not release this with the weather enhancements  (active sky) fully operational cockpits ( pmdg), ortho scenery (orbx) 

Or Ford, gm, Chrysler,  stop offering auto start , turbos,  aluminum wheels, and air conditioning and return to the 1960's and let the aftermarket do it.

Technology moves on, the base product gets better, and we get more value. Push technology forward, and push the 3rd party developers to move it even further forward,  or God forbid, develop other addons, or expand their offerings ,and avoid being "single pony shows" which inevitably could kill a business. In other words... Swanson is glad they make more than TV dinners. 2020 is here.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Casualcas said:

Then I guess Asobo best not release this with the weather enhancements  (active sky) fully operational cockpits ( pmdg), ortho scenery (orbx) 

Or Ford, gm, Chrysler,  stop offering auto start , turbos,  aluminum wheels, and air conditioning and return to the 1960's and let the aftermarket do it.

Technology moves on, the base product gets better, and we get more value. Push technology forward, and push the 3rd party developers to move it even further forward,  or God forbid, develop other addons, or expand their offerings ,and avoid being "single pony shows" which inevitably could kill a business. In other words... Swanson is glad they make more than TV dinners. 2020 is here.

I believe he went somewhere else with that post. No-one suggested that MS keep things modest to accommodate for 3rd party developers. Rather let MS do a homerun on a limited number of features than have them just go half-way on everything. Even with their resources they can't get every single square-inch on earth right. Not every single airport to depict the correct check-in agents and not every single airliner configured correctly by registration. THAT is where add-on devs come in. The whole point of 3rd party devs is (in this case and any other case) is not for MS to get lazy, but rather open up the software for a wider range of people with (better) expertise to go even further.