Sign in to follow this  
pred02

Migration strategy of P3DV4 to a new computer

Hi,

I am building a new computer from i4790k to to i9900. Everything is new except the PS and the graphics card (1080GTX) I will also be migrating to Windows 10. 

I suspect the best way to do it is a clean P3DV4  install with a manual install of Prepar3D, all of the airplanes and scenery. Is there anything I can lift and shift (i.e. UT2) to make it a bit easier?

Thanks

A clean rebuild from the ground up is the best way--many add-ons write registration or config info into the registry, or write to a variety of folders located outside the scenery folder (e.g. elevation corrections), and tracking all that down will take as much time as just reinstalling.

Make sure that any add-ons which require de-registering, including P3D itself, are de-registered before taking down the old machine.  That would include PMDG, FSPS, FSDT add-ons, among others.

Another trick I use is to make a copy of the entire P3D drive and use it for reference and to copy over any changes I may have made to things like acft configs, AFCAD/ADE files, etc after I've installed everything using the full installer.

Last, it pays to keep detailed notes of what you are installing and any changes or road bumps encountered.  You'll thank yourself the next time a rebuild is needed (I seem to end up rebuilding every 12-18 months).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

One more thing, if this is a non-oem license for Windows 10, be sure to run slmgr.vbs /upk

as your last action on the old PC. Once you install windows 10 on your new PC it should activate as normal.

I spent about 30 minutes arguing with an MS chat agent who was trying to convince me to pay for a new license.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

7 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

One more thing, if this is a non-oem license for Windows 10, be sure to run slmgr.vbs /upk

as your last action on the old PC. Once you install windows 10 on your new PC it should activate as normal.

I spent about 30 minutes arguing with an MS chat agent who was trying to convince me to pay for a new license.

What is a non-oem license and slmgr.vbs /upk? Thanks.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

• Upvote 1

Jude Bradley

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

7 minutes ago, reecemj said:

What is a non-oem license and slmgr.vbs /upk? Thanks.

slmgr.vbs /upk  --  releases the Win 10 (retail) license on the Microsoft registration servers so that it can be installed on another device (and a new motherboard is considered another device).

In your case, since you are upgrading to a different version of Windows (as I read your post), this would not be necessary.

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

39 minutes ago, w6kd said:

A clean rebuild from the ground up is the best way--many add-ons write registration or config info into the registry, or write to a variety of folders located outside the scenery folder (e.g. elevation corrections), and tracking all that down will take as much time as just reinstalling.

Make sure that any add-ons which require de-registering, including P3D itself, are de-registered before taking down the old machine.  That would include PMDG, FSPS, FSDT add-ons, among others.

Another trick I use is to make a copy of the entire P3D drive and use it for reference and to copy over any changes I may have made to things like acft configs, AFCAD/ADE files, etc after I've installed everything using the full installer.

Last, it pays to keep detailed notes of what you are installing and any changes or road bumps encountered.  You'll thank yourself the next time a rebuild is needed (I seem to end up rebuilding every 12-18 months).

Roadbumps???  What roadbumps???  

Today, I'm completing my third (1..2...3..) completely Win 10/P3D re-install.  Two because of issues I thought were related to P3D, but actually a failing USB powered hub.  The third because with the 2nd install, my Office 365 Install went bad.  I think I can do this in record time now! 🙂

Hardest part is resetting all the joystick and FSUPIC configurations. ARGH!!  I never trusted porting over my previous config files. 

Hopefully, third time is the charm!

Rich Boll

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

36 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

Jude, that's a priceless heads-up as I too am contemplating the same course of moving, when I get around to it, to a new rig.

You're welcome Rick, I've tried on two different machines (I've two different licenses) thanks to the "free" upgrade from Windows 7 some years back.

Jude Bradley

34 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

recommend you do the install from a USB stick using the latest Win10 1909 build and don't do the Win10 upgrade route ... to my surprise "new" Win10 DVDs and/or USB sticks rarely have the current OS version on them,

Glad I followed this route when building the new rig, as I really was chewing over buying eBay-sold DVDs, keys, etc. Did a clean update route on P3Dv4.4 to v4.5 on current rig, which I will have to transfer the licence from.

Thanks. Is there any benefit on having a separate drive for the P3D installation versus on the same drive as the Windows install? I notice that P3D actually does not include everything in the P3D directory but uses the Addons folder and also Program Data directory on the C drive.

The PC is 95% used for P3D. I bought a 2TB SSD but also have the old 1TB drive with FSX that I was going to wipe and sell once I got everything up and running. I could re-purpose it for the system drive.

Also - in the FSX days I used to add all my scenery into Addon Scenery, then group subfolders by continent, however I see by default installers install into different folders (i.e. Aerosoft, P3D Addon Scenery, Simmarket, etc.) 

What is the best strategy around this?
Thanks

Edited by pred02