Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

Vox traffic levels

23 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

if MaxParkedAircraft is set very low, there's nothing on the ground at enroute airports (which is not much of a loss).

jay

as you say, not much of a loss.

yesterday, flying over the central Philippines, used AIC to see traffic at ground level some moving & some stationary (not that AIC is the best tool to use with vox)

will keep on observing (& use LNM to compare).

i think the "problem" with the "formula" is that where / when active counts are low, the remaining gates are filled with parked inactives to "fill" to the formula's answer ...... so at midnite, might look okay, but daytime no.

for now, cheers

john martin

BTW, I must have done something wrong. I set the MaxParkedAircraft=5 and now I have plenty enroute ground traffic. I'll try 2 on my next flight.

Edited by jabloomf1230

4 hours ago, vadriver said:

will keep on observing (& use LNM to compare)

jay

the more we observe, the more we ask 😉

my parallel quest in this is to understand the time spawned by vox of active terminals at the gate before & after flight. it seems to be about 30mins at least (but then i don't spend much more than that in my aircraft) & do narrow bodies "turnaround" quicker .... call me fussy.

i know that if i depart about the same time each flight, 'tis mostly the same aircraft nearby.

the before & after must affect the number of actives.

bottom line is trying to optimise what is a "great" AI engine in the first place. 

for now, cheers

john martin

On 3/26/2020 at 10:44 PM, vadriver said:

my parallel quest in this is to understand the time spawned by vox of active terminals at the gate before & after flight.

If you mean by that, how long does the AI engine continue to have aircraft take and land, then it's well more than 30 minutes. I've sat at an airport for at least an hour in control tower view and watched VOXATC manage flights all that time.

On 3/26/2020 at 10:44 PM, vadriver said:

i know that if i depart about the same time each flight, 'tis mostly the same aircraft nearby.

Although VOXATC is not entirely faithful to the AIG real world schedules, I've observed the same. The same planes take off and land in the same order at a specific airport at about the same time of day. I think that the 7.42 revision preserves the flight number and the destination airport at the user's departure airport. At least the ATC comms seem correct, like "Proceed direct BWI...". But the actual departure time does not seem to resemble the departure times in the AIG flightplans. It's pretty hard to keep track of this though. I use AI Companion, which lists both active aircraft and the actual AIG scheduled flights in separate windows.

On 3/25/2020 at 12:20 AM, vadriver said:

& just to add, my preferred with vox slider @ 100% is now:

<MaxParkedAircraft Value="2" />
    <MaxEnrouteAircraft Value="50" />
    <MaxActiveTerminalAircraft Value="80" />
    <TrafficGeneratedAtAllAirports Value="TRUE" />

After testing it correctly, this definitely works. Thanks again. No more clogged airports and the smaller enroute airports do show some parked traffic.

Jay / Team

i have continued to "observe" my earliers & feel the resultant spawn is in many instances "real" at hub airports where hourly movements average about 80 at peak (40 inbound / 40 outbound)

i haven't looked at larger airports such as KATL where peak hourlys can be over 140.

one hassle i have always had on all flights is FE's due to G Callsign reads  ..... as per  https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/569003-vox-traffic-levels/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-4200284 discussion & which has an influence on my "observations"

it is normally after initial AI is spawned on initialisation but has no immediate consequence (?) as I continue & depart with full skies.

however it does appear that no more (enroute) AI is spawned & eventually the skies are empty. i reboot vox mid flight, but again another similar FE but nearby traffic spawns initially as at departure though by the time i arrive, the skies / terminal are empty again

why this happens i do not know ....... all my AI are airlines (with callsigns) ie no GA.

i hope i will find the "problem" soon ..... any thoughts appreciated.

Edited by vadriver

for now, cheers

john martin

On 4/28/2020 at 2:40 PM, vadriver said:

why this happens i do not know ....... all my AI are airlines (with callsigns) ie no GA.

bingo ..... i hope, i think, & i'll let you know otherwise.

given i fly asiapacific skies, i added "regionalcultures" to my VASettings by cloning the installed AU parameters (but tweaked to set different TA/TL's, baro etc at different airports) but overlooked  the parameter "UseGCallsigns" which needed to be set to false.

as before, it may help others to check this as for me it was definitely causing less spawning en-route.

Edited by vadriver

for now, cheers

john martin

On 3/29/2020 at 6:16 AM, jabloomf1230 said:

how long does the AI engine continue to have aircraft take and land, then it's well more than 30 minutes.

it is interesting you note that given my observations at the likes of VHHH, WSSS & ZBAA ...... parallel runways, several terminals.

my best guess, comparing what AIC suggests & LNP shows, and i am more forming the opinion is that at departure, VOX spawns soon to departs & soon to arrive but not recently landed ....... which makes it a tad "empty" for 30 mins or so.

the other twist i see is that with some afcads more than others, spawned AI are on average those near you if there are available coded gates ..... at VHHH for example, there's hardly an aircraft at the midfield terminal & few empties at the main terminal. i think i need to tweak the codes to spread them out a tad.

all fun though this tweaking.

for now, cheers

john martin

On 5/3/2020 at 4:32 PM, vadriver said:

all fun though this tweaking

of V742 on P3DV452 & as before, i continue to tweak & observe, comparing AIC's analyser & LNP's
plots of Vox's AI spawn.

• in essence, the "active" AI are very much in keeping with AIG plans (as collated by AIC for both at the gate & arriving .... execpt the gate / ramp spawn is limited to AI movements in the next hour or so and do not include AI that may have arrived and are departing later than that hour.

if you allow Vox to spawn "parked" AI, it may include those later departures but only if they are departing before other later departures which have not yet arrived.

for me, vox is not discounting traffic yet to arrive in its spawn of "on ground" aircraft.

• the other feature which distorts the above is that from its list of departures, it only spawns an aircraft if there is a coded gate / ramp for it & then it will spawn the largest that fits.

so you have this scene which looks as good as the sim's spawn but is just a tad quirky when you notice 4 off A380's side by side in the early morning at VHHH when the first does not arrive till mid afternnon.

& for mine, knowing the above, one can recognise that afcad's prepared by developers & AIG enthusiasts are expecting the sim's spawn not vox's & perhaps may need a "tweak".

it is also important to ensure you have the correct number of coded gates for your AI's plans. for example, i now have only 2 off A380 gates at VHHH plus smaller gates for A330's.

sounds a lot of tweaking to "vox proof" afcads but with recent AIC features, it is probably a 2hr effort to review & fine tune for a "good return" ......  you'll then have the best ATC & AI of the times.

any notes, questions appreciated.

• Upvote 1

for now, cheers

john martin