Sign in to follow this  
MSW

Some *more* help for Autogen?

Guest yllekm

Please try the attached autogen tree textures. They improved framerates for me but your mileage may vary - post your results here.The textures have been reduced from the originals and the DXT1 format and alpha channels have been preserved. The dimensions have been reduced by 50%. This results in a reduction in total size of the textures from 10.7MB to 3.9MB. All seasons are included.I think these are different than the fs2004.com texture fix. They suggest reducing the texture sizes by converting the files to another format, which caused numerous problems for me. I think my approach is different and it doesn't cause the same problems. There were no adverse visual effects that I could see (except see below re: Poplars). I actually prefer the reduced textures because they seem to eliminate tree texture "sparkling".You can also try these along with Matt Fox's autogen tree fix (http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=121&topic_id=354861&mesg_id=354861&page=2).Note that I have not changed the Poplar files - I was getting a bizarre artifact that I couldn't fix (thin black lines extending from the tops of the trees).Here is a link to the reduced textures:http://www.savefile.com/files/146254Hope this helps you.Mike Kelly

Guest FxF3

Thanks not tried them yet becuase don't have the full version of FSX yet but have downloaded them for save keeping when it does get here.Thanks again for the hard work.

Guest yllekm

I have the Retail Deluxe version already so I did not test them on the demo, but don't see why you couldn't use them - those textures should be in the demo too.Mike Kelly

Thanks, Gonna give it a try with the last Beta and hang on to them for my retail copy. ce

Mike, I'm going to give your textures a try as soon as I load my FSX whichI haven't been able to find yet. Question: I thought that the original textures were in the DXT5 format (from another post I read). How do you tell the difference between the two? Craig

Hi Mike,Thank you and they look great! I'm using the Retail Deluxe Version and your trees give me the best of both worlds. Great variety and a very nice FR increase. I haven't tried combining Matt Fox's edits, but will this evening. Bob...

Hi Mike,Excellent job; really made a difference for me. I was wondering if the other textures could be converted. I would do it myself but don't know what program to use or how to go about it.Thanks,Ed

Guest yllekm

> Question: I thought that the original textures were in the>DXT5 format> (from another post I read).> > How do you tell the difference between the two?>I used Martin Wright's DXTBmp and Image Format Converter to do the resizing. DXTBmp detected both DXT1 and DXT5 files in the Scenery/Global/Texture folder. It detected the tree textures as DXT1.I think this is part of the problem with the FS2004.com fix (the "other post" you refer to above) - it assumes that all of the DDS files in Scenery/Global/Texture are DXT5, but they aren't.Mike Kellyp.s. I could not find any batch tools that did a satisfactory job of exporting the bitmaps, resizing them and then reimporting them into their DXT1 format, so I did each file by itself. I was quite happy with the results but it would be nice to find a decent batch tool that would do the same thing on a large number of files at once. I want to try resizing the auotgen building textures and a tool like this would be very helpful.

Vllekm:Have you completed the autogen building textures yet. Please post these when you get them completed. Thanks!Mike

I can bath resize and process files. I'll work on autogen and also the ground textures.Matt

Guest yllekm

Thanks Matt, was going to do some work on this tonight but one of the HDDs in my wife's business computer blew up - it had to take precedence (#### that real world stuff).I can batch process any of the dds files, converting them to DXT1 (if not already DXT1) and reducing them. I haven't found any batch processors that correctly handle extended BMPs (i.e. BMP/DXT1) - do you have something?I think almost all the textures in the Textures folder as well as Scenery/Global/Textures can be half-sized without a serious loss of detail. I am thinking that some of the other textures in Scenery/(insert AFRI, ASIA, AUST, EURE, EURW, NAMC, NAME, NAMW, OCEN, or SAME) could also be reduced. Not sure about World - is this the folder for the ground textures you mention above?I am still curious to know how much of a performance increase half-sizing textures will yield. Should be able to get back on this tomorrow or Friday.Mike Kelly

There is . The textool from the DirectX SDK. -w width -h height -d depth -m miplevels -f format -if image filter -mf mip filter -c colorkey -srgb{i|o} sRGB {input, output} -px name prefix -sx name suffix -o output directory -ft file type -nologo suppress copyright message : R8G8B8 A8R8G8B8 X8R8G8B8 R5G6B5 X1R5G5B5 A1R5G5B5 A4R4G4B4 R3G3B2 A8 A8R3G3B2 X4R4G4B4 A2B10G10R10 A8B8G8R8 X8B8G8R8 G16R16 A2R10G10B10 A16B16G16R16 A8P8 P8 L8 A8L8 A4L4 V8U8 L6V5U5 X8L8V8U8 Q8W8V8U8 V16U16 A2W10V10U10 UYVY R8G8_B8G8 YUY2 G8R8_G8B8 DXT1 DXT2 DXT3 DXT4 DXT5 D16_LOCKABLE D32F_LOCKABLE L16 Q16W16V16U16 R16F G16R16F A16B16G16R16F R32F G32R32F A32B32G32R32F CxV8U8 : NONE POINT LINEAR TRIANGLE BOX NONE_DITHER POINT_DITHER LINEAR_DITHER TRIANGLE_DITHER BOX_DITHER : BMP DDS JPG HDR PFM PNG

I can batch process BMP/DXT1 with XNView and Imagetool. What are you using to batch process DDS? Imagetool seems to screw them up when batch processing.Between the two of us we should be able to downsize whatever needs to be downsized. Since 1/2 resolution is 1/4 size texture, should make a big difference on the texture load. I already converted all the autogen ground textures and the other thing that does in cut the load time in half.By the way, there are a couple more tree textures in the main Texture folder.Matt

Guest CyberOps

you guys are doing great work, just wanted to say thanks. Will those building fixes also be on your site matt ?